Cavs C Anderson Varejao out rest of season with blood clot

5 posters

Go down

Cavs C Anderson Varejao out rest of season with blood clot Empty Cavs C Anderson Varejao out rest of season with blood clot

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm

BOSTON HERALD

CLEVELAND — Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao will miss the rest of the season after developing a blood clot in his lower right lung.

Varejao, who underwent surgery on a torn leg muscle on Jan. 10, remains hospitalized at The Cleveland Clinic. The Cavs said he was admitted last Thursday and will likely remain there for several more days as he receives treatment. Varejao is expected to make a full recovery but he will remain on blood thinning medication for at least three months, the team said Monday.

Losing the 6-foot-11 Varejao is a crushing blow to the young Cavs, who are just 10-32.

Varejao was leading the NBA in rebounding and having an All-Star season before he injured his leg on Dec. 18 against Toronto. The team initially thought the injury was just a bruise and expected Varejao to make a quick recovery. However, tests revealed a split in his quadriceps muscle which required an operation. Varejao was expected to be out eight weeks before he developed the blood clot.

"Clearly our players' health is our top concern and we are disappointed for Anderson, and his family," Cavs general manager Chris Grant said in a release. "We know what a competitor he is and how much he wants to be on the court helping his teammates. In the meantime, he has our full support and we look forward to welcoming him back as he recovers."

This is the third straight season Varejao has missed extended time with injuries. He sat out 41 games last season with a broken wrist and was sidelined for 51 games in the previous season after tearing a tendon in his ankle while running after practice.

Varejao averaged 14.4 rebounds and 14.1 points in 25 games before getting injured.

Cleveland, which just completed a 1-4 road trip, hosts Boston on Tuesday. The Cavs will play 10 of their next 12 games at home.

Back to top Go down

Cavs C Anderson Varejao out rest of season with blood clot Empty Re: Cavs C Anderson Varejao out rest of season with blood clot

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Scary stuff. He will forever be on blood thinners after this, I bet. Getting banged around on the floor is going to be tough for him. I really do feel sorry for the guy. It seems like it is always something with him. Bad break.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Cavs C Anderson Varejao out rest of season with blood clot Empty Re: Cavs C Anderson Varejao out rest of season with blood clot

Post by worcester Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Best of luck to a very talented player.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 pm

and HERE is an example of why you dont make rash decisions about trades. Imagine how we would feel if we traded Lee, Sully and Melo say - for Anderson and then THIS happened?

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:and HERE is an example of why you dont make rash decisions about trades. Imagine how we would feel if we traded Lee, Sully and Melo say - for Anderson and then THIS happened?

MrKleen,

I don't think this was predictable, and therefore avoidable.

How about trading Perk and Nate for Jeff Green (who didn't play the next year because of some previously unknown health issue) and Krstic (who was in the last year of his contract and left the NBA due to a lockout which could have been reasonably predicted)?

How about signing Wilcox and then losing him to the same health issue?

How about counting on Darko to provide size and defense and depth at 5, only to have him leave because his mother is ill.

You pay your money and you take your chances. We didn't know about Green's and Wilcox's hearts and we didn't know that Krstic would be willing to sign a multi-year contract overseas without a clause allowing him to return to the NBA once the strike was over.

Aside from all this, if Lee/Sully/Melo is what is needed to make this trade, I don't think I'd be for it, rash or not. Barring a super-blockbuster deal Sully, as far as I am concerned, is off-the-table. Whatever value Varajao would bring in rebounding we'd lose by giving up Sully.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Bob

My point was that what we in the uneducated public perceive as "inaction" on DA's part - could have been predicated on a questionable healthy report by the Celtics doctors.

Sometimes the best action is no action.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:04 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Bob

My point was that what we in the uneducated public perceive as "inaction" on DA's part - could have been predicated on a questionable healthy report by the Celtics doctors.

Sometimes the best action is no action.

Patience is a virtue. So is virginity, doesn't mean I'm interested.

Just joking around, I know what you're saying and you're right. Bouncing around in a knee jerk fashion is no way to build a team.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down