Pau Gasol May Be Out For Rest Of Season

5 posters

Go down

Pau Gasol May Be Out For Rest Of Season Empty Pau Gasol May Be Out For Rest Of Season

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:03 pm

Pau Gasol May Be Out For Remainder Of Season
Apr 04, 2014 12:34 AM EDT

The Los Angeles Lakers are leaning toward sitting Pau Gasol for the remainder of the season.

Gasol is recovering from a severe recurrence of vertigo.

Gasol will almost certainly take a pay reduction from his $19.3 million this season and he is not expected to re-sign with the Lakers.

Gasol won two titles with the Lakers in 2009 and 2010.

Via Mike Bresnahan/Los Angeles Times

bob
MY NOTE:  This may be considered blasphemous by some Celtic fans, but if Gasol were to take a BIG paycut (say, $5-$6M/year, one year) I'd like to see him in green.  Is he a "building block"?  Of course not, but his high post passing and experience will add coherence to our offense and it will give our young guys a chance to play on a lineup that has a real center.  Think of how Vitor's and Kelly's learning curves would flatten out.  Sully has talked about how he got a year of "Garnett University".  Well, think of what a year in "Gasol University" would do for a player who is targeted towards being a high post stretch 4 (Kelly) and a player who played all 8 of his pre-Celtic professional career playing in Gasol's home country of Spain.  Who would be a better mentor than that for Vitor?  Cowens?  Sure, if we can get him, but if not?  

Coaches can talk all you want about how you should play with a center and show you film until your eyeballs are falling out how that looks, but until you actually do it there's no assurances that you will.  We need, really, 2 centers.  My preference is for one younger than Gasol (Asik, 27; Gortat, 30; to name 2) that can stay and grow with the team for a few years, but we need a center to build "the drill" with real players playing that position and not "faux centers", PFs that are playing out of position and are just place-holders.  Gasol is NOT a solution, but he would have value.  He's a champion, he's a winner and he's a real pro.

The irony of Paul Gasol teaching Celtic bigs how to win would add a touch of the "you can't write stuff this good" to it too.

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pau Gasol May Be Out For Rest Of Season Empty Re: Pau Gasol May Be Out For Rest Of Season

Post by Outside Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Bob,

It's certainly not plan A, but what you say makes sense. And from Gasol's perspective, he couldn't possibly be more misused than he has been with D'Antoni.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Pau Gasol May Be Out For Rest Of Season Empty Re: Pau Gasol May Be Out For Rest Of Season

Post by k_j_88 Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:11 pm

In either case, it's not as if there's much of a season left for about 14 NBA teams. Too bad about Gasol, though. I hate to see injuries.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Well, this pretty much leaves the Celtics out of the running.  LOL.

Pau Gasol Will Factor Winning Over Money; Bulls, Cavs, Bobcats, Grizzlies Expected To Pursue
Apr 04, 2014 12:55 PM EDT

Pau Gasol won two championships with the Los Angeles Lakers in 2009 and 2010 and knows what he will look for when making his free agency decision in July.

"I want to be in a team that is going to be built to win a championship," Gasol said. "That's my top priority. Money won't be the main priority. Length and money are factors, but we'll see. Until I know all the options, I won't be able to measure them. But we're getting close to the end of my career. I want to be in a good situation. It's an important decision to make."

The Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Charlotte Bobcats and Memphis Grizzlies are expected to be potential options for Gasol, according to a poll of NBA executives.

"There are a couple thoughts out there on Pau," said an Eastern Conference executive. "Some people say he is worn out, that he is too far past his prime to really help a contender. There are others that think that LA, that environment the past two season, that style of play has destroyed him and if he goes somewhere else, plays with a different coach, he might be rejuvenated. I could see someone who thinks the latter paying him $10 million a year."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:09 pm

You never know what Danny is brewing in the kitchen, though.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm

I've always respected Pau's game and would be very happy to get him. I'd been thinking the same as Bob for a while. Regarding the vertigo, that's simple to treat and cure.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Vertigo can be a short-term or a long-term thing.  For Pau's sake, I hope it will be short-term.  He has made great contributions over the years and doesn't deserve the kinds of abuse he has endured in the last couple of years.

As for his potential as a Celtic, all I can say is that your word "coherence" is precisely what the Celtics need in their offense, and I'd have to be happy for any center who could improve on their current level.  However (and it's a big "however") I'd like the next center to be a defensive intimidator, which I think would help Sully's and Kelly's defensive games by putting them mainly at PF.  I'm awfully afraid that the advent of Pau could represent (a) a false sense of security that we've finally got a real center and (b) a reduced effort to acquire an intimidator.  Pau as a backup to an intimidator?  Why not?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down