Rondo's spark carried the C's? He has some growing to do - but he's in good company.

+4
Larry Legend 33
sinus007
Sam
bigpygme
8 posters

Go down

Rondo's spark carried the C's?  He has some growing to do - but he's in good company. Empty Rondo's spark carried the C's? He has some growing to do - but he's in good company.

Post by bigpygme Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Thoughts on Rondo in last night's game ... Gary Washburn in today's Globe writes in part, "Rondo finished with just 10 points, but his effect on the game was unquestioned. While his teammates were busy clanging 3-pointers - 7 for 27 - Rondo insisted on darting into the lane and setting up easier baskets.
It seems the Celtics are intent on breaking out of their 3-point doldrums and that was the primary reason why Philadelphia remained in the game. The 76ers hit 13 out of 20 three's. Ray Allen, Rasheed Wallace, and Eddie House were a combined 4 for 17 and that almost led to a fourth home loss.
It is apparent the Celtics are a better team when Rondo controls the pace and pushes the ball. He sparked a 23-7 run to begin the fourth quarter. He scored 8 points with 3 assists and 2 rebounds in the final period."

So Washburn's point is that torrent of 3's from the C's almost buried them, and that, with all due credit to PP and his tremendous general leadership, it was Rondo's 4th quarter spark that carried the team over the top aginst the 76ers. Makes sense to me.

He goes on to point out, "There has been a history of great point guards who have struggled with their perimeter shot [early in their career]. Jason Kidd shot below 42 percent from the field in his first four seasons. Steve Nash shot just 36 percent in his third NBA season. Hall of Famer Magic Johnson made just 23 of 135 3-pointers (17 percent) in his first five seasons." So this sort of drawback is not uncommon in young PG's. It sure is hard today to think of any of those other three players as being a shooting liability from the floor, but in their youth they plainly were. The change in his shooting technique that Sam has pointed out can only be to the good, and Rondo is so smart (and stubborn) about basketball that i have to believe he will keep working at it until he gets it right.

Michael in Denver
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Rondo's spark carried the C's?  He has some growing to do - but he's in good company. Empty Re: Rondo's spark carried the C's? He has some growing to do - but he's in good company.

Post by Sam Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Michael,

As I stated on the post-game thread, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that at least some of Rondo's apparent stubbornness is really rooted in tentativeness and indecision. Because I believe he's gradually replacing KG as the co-catalyst (with Pierce) on the team; and that's a ticklish evolution—and not one to be rushed.

I believe he's undergoing a lot of deliberation in that regard—both conceptually and with respect to specific moves on the floor. How much of the leadership should he assume? What is KG ready to relinquish? To what extent is greater aggressiveness by Rondo potentially seen by KG as an incursion on his territory as opposed to a constructive thing?

And the situation is made all the more difficult because KG—just as any of us would probably do—wants to assume that he'll eventually be the "old KG." Which makes it all the more difficult for him to loosen any reins he's been holding.

People think Doc should map out everything. The psychological stuff (and there's plenty of it) is not conducive to that. It just has to happen—and very gradually. I'd bet a lot that some version of what I'm talking about is taking place; and it's restricting the rapidity with which progress can take place.

That's why I won't be at all shocked if this team does not experience any sudden positive spurts over the next couple of months...but (and here's the good news) we'll realize, as playoff time approaches, that a significant evolution has gradually transpired and the team will a major contender...as well as more focused about foundations for the future.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Rondo's spark carried the C's?  He has some growing to do - but he's in good company. Empty Re: Rondo's spark carried the C's? He has some growing to do - but he's in good company.

Post by sinus007 Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Sam wrote:

That's why I won't be at all shocked if this team does not experience any sudden positive spurts over the next couple of months...but (and here's the good news) we'll realize, as playoff time approaches, that a significant evolution has gradually transpired and the team will a major contender...as well as more focused about foundations for the future.

Sam

Sam,
Is your real name Charles Junior, by any chance jocolor
I hope you're right, and by April we'll have a lean and mean winning machine: Celtics GT

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Legend 33 Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:11 pm

I have the League pass and watch every game I can! Love the Celts.

I have been frustrated recently with Rondo. He is indecisive...too much passiveness and pass first mentality. I would like him to do that when he senses that one or more of his teammates need to get into the game...but not to pass on sure layups for the sake of an extra pass.

We need him to mix it up and keep the other teams guessing. Mix in attacking the basket, shooting jumpers, pick and roll, etc. Right now, it is pretty easy for opposing defenses to play him when he has become so predictable. This is something he can correct with confidence.

Maybe if he started playing more lockdown D vs. trying to poke the ball out after they run by him, it could lead to more confidence on the other end. Start there and get that corrected and then let it translate to production on the other end. Steals are nice Rajon, but so is stopping the other point guard from easy baskets and assists as you are roaming all over.

He is capable of so much more than he is giving us the last 7-8 ballgames.

Got my first post off my chest!

Larry Legend 33

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:35 am

Bottom line for me is that this team DESPERATELY needs a real back up PG.
Someone that can push the ball when Rondo is out.

Every time Rajon makes up his mind to drive and put pressure on the defense - we go on big runs. Every time he sits back, we look like a lackluster team.

Go get a back up PG - and let Eddie and Daniels play where you are more comfortable.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 am

mrkleen

wrote this on another thread but it pertains a bit to what your saying too.

I think we all want a bit faster tempo.

There really is no reason we can't advance the ball into the frontcourt in 4+- seconds after a miss or a make by the other team.

One thing we rarely seem to do now is release someone on the opponents shot, and with the opposition shooting outside so much releasing someone would serve additional issues for the shooter. Instead of thinking all about the shot he now knows that if he misses and the C's rebound (another issue in of itself) a layup might be waiting at the other end make or miss.

Think the term use to be called cherry picking. An occasional release by Rondo might give him some reason to show off that speed and if not a pure break he could hold up and then guage a weekness in the matchups as there most assuridly will be a mismatch or two under these conditions.

But being that Rondo is one of our better rebounders he hangs around the defensive boards and virtually never releases.

In past eras the ball was either taken out of the net or rebounded and many times thrown to the front court with one pass putting extreme pressure on the defense from the get go.

Anyway just some thoughts.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:49 am

Sinus,

If you mean Barkley, I'm going to send you a bar of soap with the following instructions:

1. Unwrap soap.

2. Insert bar in mouth.

3. Gargle for 30 seconds.

4. Swallow the results.

I'm not sure in what context (even a soap-in-cheek one) you would link me with him, but I basically can't stand him.

On the other hand, my dad's name was Charles, and I'd be honored to be associated with him in any way.

Keep those posts coming in. I enjoy your contributions.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 am

Larry Legend,

Welcome to the board. I hope you'll find it to be a continually enjoyable place to express your opinions.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:53 am

Sam

for your listening and watching entertainment!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akB8gfCMTDg

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:13 am

Sam wrote:GC,

If you mean Barkley, I'm going to send you a bar of soap with the following instructions:

1. Unwrap soap.

2. Insert bar in mouth.

3. Gargle for 30 seconds.

4. Swallow the results.

I'm not sure in what context (even a soap-in-cheek one) you would link me with him, but I basically can't stand him.

Sam

GC????

Sam.... The first subtle signs of Alzheimer's or just an innocent brain fart? My first post in this thread. Very Happy

I am a wee bit hurt that I am so easily confused with others.

I am the one chock full of BS. The others actually have a clue as to what they are talking about.

GC

P.S. BTW... I enjoy Sir Charles in small doses. And yes, thank you, I could use the soap.
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:35 am

Oops, I saw the "AK" initials and immediately thought, "If it's initials, it must be GC." Sorry about that. I meant Sinus and have changed it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 am

CG,

So many initials, and so little time to translate them.

Well at least there's one good thing about Alzheimer's.

But I forget what it is.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:23 am

Sam wrote:Michael,

As I stated on the post-game thread, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that at least some of Rondo's apparent stubbornness is really rooted in tentativeness and indecision. Because I believe he's gradually replacing KG as the co-catalyst (with Pierce) on the team; and that's a ticklish evolution—and not one to be rushed.

I believe he's undergoing a lot of deliberation in that regard—both conceptually and with respect to specific moves on the floor. How much of the leadership should he assume? What is KG ready to relinquish? To what extent is greater aggressiveness by Rondo potentially seen by KG as an incursion on his territory as opposed to a constructive thing?

And the situation is made all the more difficult because KG—just as any of us would probably do—wants to assume that he'll eventually be the "old KG." Which makes it all the more difficult for him to loosen any reins he's been holding.

People think Doc should map out everything. The psychological stuff (and there's plenty of it) is not conducive to that. It just has to happen—and very gradually. I'd bet a lot that some version of what I'm talking about is taking place; and it's restricting the rapidity with which progress can take place.

Sam

very interesting, Sam. for one, i guess i've heard Rondo described as "stubborn" so often that i just buy into it. And without disparagement: stubborn may sometimes translate into "willfull" but it can also count as "determined" or "unyielding" or "resolute" -- not bad qualities. these are qualities i like to see in a ball player on my team.
also, your thesis that Rondo is trying to find his way, essentially through an ego-laden minefield, as he develops his role is an interesting one - Rondo as replacement catalyst for KG. well, you've seen a lot more of the back-room dynamics and discussions than i have, and i respect your point of view.
if that's so, what would be seen in the play of the game that might be evidence of that dynamic playing out? is there anything one could watch for that would suggest Rondo is laying back a little in order that (if i understood you rightly) KG can assert himself ? ... just wondering.

thanks for everyone's thoughts ...

Michael in Denver
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:28 am

Sam,
I meant Darwin. Since you're talking evolution.
As for Barkley, I consider him kind of breath of fresh air: among all those professionals who are asked to render their professional opinions by reading scripts written by people who never played the game, he at least tries to inject his own thoughts.

AK

Last edited by sinus007 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:54 am

Anyone who regularly watches the C's knows that the outcome of the game usually hinges on how well Rondo plays. Doc always talks about how their offense is going to come from playing good defense. He's usually talking about the team, but I see that so clearly with Rondo in particular. If he's being aggressive on D (and I don't mean trying to steal the ball/poke at it from behind, but actually staying in front of his man and playing harrassing defense), than he more often than not is a major factor on the offensive end as well.

I'm one that's really not concerned with the fact that he doesn't have a good jumper. He has so many other tools that, when utilized, more than make up for his lack of range. His problem is being able to consistently access all his other tools. Maybe it's a lack of motivation, maybe it's a problem knowing when/how to lead, or maybe it's the game plan on that particular night, but whatever it is, I truly hope it's something that he/the coaches recognize and are working on.

As far as a backup goes, I have a feeling they are hoping Lester will become that backup. I think the fact that he's still with the team while Bill Walker was assigned to the D-League indicates that they see something in Lester that they like. I know we haven't really seen an increase in minutes for the rookies the past couple years, but maybe this year will be different. I can't think of any other reason why they would keep him with the team rather than send him to Maine.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Michael, you ask an excellent question about specifics to watch for in the games. And I've grappled with that question a number of times. The problem is that I think any "signals" probably change so often that they're not reliable signals. And nuances that would pass by us in the heat of the context could add up to trends in the mind of a Rondo.

I guess one dynamic that interests me is the alley-oop. On one hand, it has been a signature move of KG that can create such an exclamation that it inspires the entire team. All things considered, I'd guess they'd want to run an inspirational play like that as frequently as possible.

But that play has failed nearly as often as it has worked this season. I personally don't think it's so much a matter of lack of pure hops as of a combination of agility and timing issues. But, whatever the problem, Rondo seems to persist in attempting the connection...even in one pretty low-percentage situation during the most recent game....as though he's conscious of KG's need to keep believing that things can once again be as they were.

It reminds me of the Cousy philosphy that I've often quoted, whereby he'd throw long passes to Sanders, who was breaking on the wing—knowing that Satch couldn't see them well because of long distance vision problems, but wanting to reward his effort nonetheless. That kind of thing is a nuance that most of us fans would miss...and, in our ignorance, we could become critical of the passer for attempting a maneuver that went awry.

I don't know whether Rondo's hanging back to help on the defensive boards more than he would if KG were at full strength. Or maybe KG's now taking a split second longer to corral rebounds, and hangs back to be more readily available for the outlet pass to make up for the lost time.

Could it be that some of the shots Rondo is NOT taking from underneath are the result of his wanting to defer to Kevin, in makeable shooting situations, as much as possible?

Who knows what all the specific little tipoffs might be? All season long, I've noticed that Rondo sticks with KG like glue on the bench (although I haven't thought to look for that recently). Does that suggest anything?

I could be reading too much into any of these scenarios. But I'm convinced that Rondo's struggling with finding the right balance in accepting leadership responsibility without causing esteem problems among the Three Amigos in general and KG in particular.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Legend 33 Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:37 am

Sam wrote:Larry Legend,

Welcome to the board. I hope you'll find it to be a continually enjoyable place to express your opinions.

Sam

Thanks Sam. I have been reading the boston.com site for over a year now but never posted. Saw you formed this site, and seeing it will be moderated well, I decided to throw my hat in the ring.

Liked Rondo's play a little more tonight against Toronto, but we gave up 103 points. They were the team we want them to be in the 3rd quarter...man, was that sure fun to watch...still need more consistency on D, and Rondo can help spark that if he brings it every night.

Larry Legend 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:59 am

Larry,

I hope you'll stick around.

Rome helped build a championship, but now we have to remember that it
wasn't built in a day. We can't assume that everything should reaily
fall into place because of all the veterans on board. The fact that
the veterans all have time-tested ways of doing things means that it
could take a while to develop true team chemistry.

At least 103 points were three points under the Raptors' average for the season so far, and the total was aided by a little garbage time surge. I thought that holding them to 17 in the third quarter was more indicative of what the Celtics can be capable of.

This road trip should be a stern test of whether this game was truly a stepping stone toward better chemistry or just an aberration. I'm hoping for the former.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down