sinus007
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
10 posters

Go down

Ainge: KG likely out 2 weeks Empty Ainge: KG likely out 2 weeks

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 pm

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Kevin Garnett is battling inflammation in his injured left ankle and estimated that team will give him two weeks off to recover.

Are you worried about KG's ankle injury?

Nah, he could use the rest anyway.
Yes, this is the one guy the Celtics can't afford to lose.

Ainge believes that Garnett initially injured the ankle against New Orleans then played on it in Dallas. He sat out Saturday's game in Memphis and underwent an MRI when the team returned to Boston. Initial test results didn't alarm team doctors, but Ainge noted the team is being overly cautious to ensure a healthy Garnett for the start of the postseason.

"I'll guess two weeks, just because we want to make sure he's really ready" Ainge said of Garnett's recovery timeline.

Added Ainge: "I think it happened in New Orleans game, it was just sore -- just inflammation. A lot of things can cause inflammation; I think everyone has a little bit of inflammation this time of year. KG, we need to get him fresh anyway."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Kevin Garnett is battling inflammation in his injured left ankle and estimated the team will give him two weeks off to recover.

Ainge believes that Garnett initially injured the ankle against New Orleans on Wednesday, then played on it in Dallas on Friday.

Garnett, who missed practice Monday, sat out Saturday's game in Memphis and underwent an MRI when the team returned to Boston.

Initial test results didn't alarm team doctors, but Ainge noted the team is being overly cautious to ensure a healthy Garnett for the start of the postseason.

"I'll guess two weeks, just because we want to make sure he's really ready," Ainge said of Garnett's recovery timeline.

Added Ainge: "I think it happened in New Orleans game, it was just sore -- just inflammation. A lot of things can cause inflammation; I think everyone has a little bit of inflammation this time of year. KG, we need to get him fresh anyway."

Guard Courtney Lee also sat out practice Monday with a sprained left ankle but was listed as probable for Tuesday's game against the visiting New York Knicks.

"Courtney could play tomorrow," coach Doc Rivers said.

Garnett is officially listed as doubtful for Tuesday.

Rivers, asked if he was worried about a long-term injury to Garnett, said he wasn't concerned Garnett would miss the rest of the season.

"No, I don't worry about that," Rivers said. "Can he miss four, five games? Yeah, that's possible."

Rivers added that he wants Garnett to fully heal.

"Whatever they decide, if they give me option of, 'You can play him every third game or give him two weeks' rest,' I can tell you right now, I'm going to say two weeks' rest -- if it's my decision," he said. "They usually never leave it up to me, but if it was my decision, that's where I would go. Because at the end of the day, I want him right and I don't want him half-right."
Rivers said he'll have to get creative with lineups, likely mixing personnel based on matchups.

The Celtics will go big with Jeff Green playing a guard-like role at times.

"When Kevin's out, especially with all the stuff we have going on right now -- you don't just have Kevin out, if you really look at it, Jared [Sullinger] was starting before he left, you have three of your five starters out [including Rajon Rondo]," Rivers said. "Then you have to look at each individual game as an individual game. I do that as a whole most of the time, but I don't do that as far as game plan, most of the time. Right now, each game we have to pick how we want to play that night. That's hard with all the new guys we have here, but that's how we may have to be."

Celtics captain Paul Pierce said injuries have ravaged the Celtics this season but that the team can't lean on that as a crutch, even amid a four-game losing streak.

"You know it happens pretty much every year," Pierce said. "It's something you've got to be prepared for, but nothing [like this] I can really think of in recent memory."

112288 P.S. - MORE THEN MEETS THE EYE! IT'S THE CELTICS WAY OF KEEP BAD NEWS CLOSE TO THE VEST.

Back to top Go down

Ainge: KG likely out 2 weeks Empty Re: Ainge: KG likely out 2 weeks

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Just exactly what we don't need.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I figure #15 in the college draft.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 pm

....lower

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Cowens,

Not so sure about lower. We could have the worst record in making the playoffs which would put us at #15 right after the lottery picks.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi,
I hope it's not 2009 again.
Also, I wonder if it's time to up Melo's development...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 pm

That's a good question Sinus...why not bring the kid up!

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 am

It was sheer stupidity NOT to have initiated his (Fab Melo's) development long before now.. Whether it was gradual or force fed, Melo needed to be in the mix by this time. The Celtics will feel the effects of lacking in the length department as well as lacking as usual on the offensive and defensive boards. If the C's were not going to sign Kenyon Martin then the C's should have Melo'd In, not OUT. KG's physical woes are likely much more serious than Ainge or Rivers are letting on. This spells a quick exit from the playoffs.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 am

Melo was terrible his last 2 D-League games......

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:08 am

Melo has been developing in the NBA Development League. He is not ready for prime time yet, or else he would be with the Celtics.

The D-League finishes up the regular season on April 6th. Maine is currently tied for 8th place (percentage wise) with two other teams. Only eight teams make the playoffs, so the Red Claws may be on the outside, looking in.

If anyone thinks Fab is the fix to our rebounding woes, they need to cut the dose.

[sarcasm]That is too bad that Fab cannot take KG's place, considering that KG is done for the season and already has submitted his retirement papers [/sarcasm]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 pm

gyso,

Exactly right. The Developmental League is called just that for a reason. Development doesn't begin only when a player is called up to the bigs. Moreover, development is not something that can suddenly be amped up like a thermostat. If anyone thinks Melo has not been pushed to his developmental limit in Maine, think again. And that prodding has occurred against far less competent opponents than he'd face in the NBA.

There needs to be a sufficient amount of readiness demonstrated by a prospect to warrant carving out time at the big league level—especially since the goal at the big league level is to WIN, not to nurse along a project.. Being tall and having had two good games in an entire minor league season doesn't suggest that Melo is even approaching that degree of readiness.

The Celtics have had enough difficulty gaining chemistry this season; and the aftermath of Rondo's departure suggests that there may have too many new players who weren't "turned loose" with enough minutes to enable them to figure out how to prosper within the system. And yet people would favor bringing up someone who would only have made it worse.

Simply to add another tall body, the Celtics could well add Melo to the roster at some point in the remainder of the season, mostly for practices. However, I've observed that the effectiveness of practices can sometimes have the effect of sinking to the level of the lowest common denominator—sort of like one frog in a choir. And, believe me, Melo would definitely be the lowest common denominator on this team.

I was just on the phone with 112288, who mentioned that it was Melo's past emphasis on soccer that gave him (112288) hope that his (Melo's) footwork would be nimble. But we agreed that, as it has turned out, Melo runs much like Perk—not a great endorsement by any means. I mentioned that perhaps Melo would have been better served by focusing on ping pong in order to sharpen his hand-eye qualities.

Maybe they've been hiding the fact that Melo has experienced dramatic growth through a secret serum. Or maybe it would be possible to bring Melo to Boston by way of Lourdes so he could demonstrate miraculous improvement. But what are the chances of that happening versus the need to whip the rotation nucleus into the best playoff shape they can muster?
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi,
My suggestion about Fab Melo was prompted by the following.
As Doc and DA admitted themselves - KG is out for at least 2 weeks. This brings us to about a week from the end of the season.
I believe there's a bit of a difference playing with and against NBA players than with/against D-league players.
So, if they bring FM for the time KG is out (I doubt that Celtics'll be able to achieve much without KG - not much to loose) and give him a few minutes here and there, this can accelerate his development. There won't be many more opportunities to throw him into deep end of the pool.
Also, it can show DA and Doc if their original plan to get him at #22 and develop into something is worth pursuing or just keep him as a filler for a future trade.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:58 pm

If nba rosters are made up of the best of the best professionals then I would think that one could conclude that the "D" league rosters have the worst of the best professionals. See below link on "D" league rebounding.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?season=22012&league=20&conf=OVERALL&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&position=0&splitType=9&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All+Teams&pager.offset=0

Note that Melo on the basis of 48 minutes per game ranks 96th in rebounding. I lowered that to 87th by eliminating 9 players that had not averaged at least 20 minutes per game. If thats the best that he can do at this level of play I can understand why Danny and company choose to keep him down on the farm. I didn't take the time to check to see if any of the leaders have been playing in the nba and if so just how well they are doing. I'm sure that if any are doing quite well it will be reported.

Swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Sinus,

A few minutes here and there seldom accelerates any development in a project. What is required for true development to occur is SUSTAINED playing time, which results in a gradual accumulation of improved skills and knowledge.

What "a few minutes here and there" usually translate to is a few garbage time minutes in occasional blowouts—in other words, brief exposures to playground basketball.

The key to development is not brief exposures to playing time under disorganized conditions. Under such conditions, any slight growth in one appearance usually disappears by the time of the next appearance; there's no cumulative development. The fact that the player is left with little or no improvement to show for his efforts can even DETRACT from his confidence, thereby setting back his development.

The key to development is SUSTAINED playing time, which is why the DL exists. It's a tradeoff---playing consistently major minutes against somewhat inferior competition. Unfortunately, even playing within this framework, Melo has not demonstrated the kind of growth potential that warrants giving him a big league shot. And, as I said earlier, introducing Melo to the lineup (or even practices) at his current level of mediocrity would be more likely to mess up the playoff readiness of the team rather to enhance it.

The Celtics are much better advised to prepare (as best they can) Shavlik for possible contributions in the playoffs. At least he has already demonstrated some degree of potential.

If they do bring Melo up, perhaps he can provide some rest for other Celtics bigs during practice. I'll certainly root for him. I just happen to feel the upside of his inclusion at this time could be virtually zero, and the possible downside could be a concern.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Sam,

I'll add one factor to what constitutes development -- effective coaching and practice on skills, including a significant amount of one-on-one coaching and practice, followed by sustained playing time to reinforce applying those skills in game conditions.

My impression is that NBA teams don't have time to dedicate during practice for that type of development. Some players work outside of practice on those skills, and many clubs have assistant coaches available for that type of work, but the playing and traveling schedule limits those opportunities. That, combined with the lack of sustained playing time available in NBA games for raw players like Melo, makes being on the NBA team less helpful from a developmental standpoint compared to the D league.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Fab is exactly where he needs to be, in Maine, playing as well as practicing, developing an almost non existent skill set for NBA basketball. I'll be surprised if he ever develops that skill set enuf to help the Celtics. I expect he will be in a trade this summer.

I'm too lazy to look this up but aren't the same people who moaned and groaned about the Celtics chances to even make the playoffs when Rondo went down the same ones who are now preaching the same with KG only injured and returning in time for the playoffs? 'oh ye of little faith'
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down