NYCelt
pete
worcester
Sam
9 posters

Go down

A Few Simple Words Empty A Few Simple Words

Post by Sam Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:30 pm

In the aftermath of JFK's assassination, I remember sitting in my car, in the garage, for at least an hour—listening to the radio, and too depressed to muster to walk 10 steps to my house to turn on the television. During those hours, moving from one point to another seemed like an also unsurmountable ordeal. It was easier to succumb to the numbness, sit like a lump, and just exist.

I'll never forget one radio commentator's words, which also helped me on 9/11. What he said was very simple, but it meant a lot to me: "The flag of the United States is flying at half mast. But the flag of the United States is still flying."

God Bless the dead and wounded and their families; God Bless the City of Boston; and God Bless the United States of America.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

A Few Simple Words Empty Re: A Few Simple Words

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Sam,

DITTO! GOD BLESS THOSE WHO WERE INJURED OR KILLED AND GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:25 pm

All that was in my power to do last night was offer up prayers to the dead and wounded. I lost my college girlfriend to an Arab terrorist bombing. She was a stewardess for Air France, and her plane was blown up - of all days - on September 11, 1968. I remembered her in my prayers as well. Tonight I'm going to pray for the souls of the bombers involved. Unbeknownst to them, they are living in their own very private hell.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Worcester,

All I can say is WOW...that is a heavy!

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm

This is a tough one.

Years ago I did remote broadcasts for WBCN and setup at the finish line right in front of the bleachers, which was across the street from the blast. It was a boring day as I had to be there by 8am, and then wait for the first to cross the finish line. When the first runners came through there was a lot of excitement from fans, media folks and politicians.

As I watched the videos that we all of seen, it all came back and I can't imagine what those there went through. My heart goes out to the victims and all those who waited for the celebration and fun that should have been.

We should not have to worry about stuff like this, ever!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Senseless.

My son gets up just past 6 in the morning and puts on ESPN SportsCenter. We had tried to shield him from this last night, but he got downstairs ahead of us today. He was sitting on the sofa, staring at the screen with tears running down his 9-year old face. All of his young memories from a few trips to Boston are of the great spirit and happiness that runs through that city, and most recently of a great weekend there with many of you. All he could manage was "I feel so sorry for Boston."

It was a tough life lesson and a piece of innocence lost; we all do go down that road, sadly. Although I can never find the right words, my wife quickly did. After other comforting words she told him "don't just look at the people that were hurt, look at all the people that rushed in to help them; that's Boston."

That is Boston. I too feel so badly for Boston, but I know that its people will never let a depraved and evil act change who they are.

Go Boston!

That's now so much more than just cheering for a team.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:11 pm

That is Boston.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:11 pm

NY,

Wow, so sorry that he had to go through this, but hopefully he will use this to do good stuff in the future, I actually have no doubt that he will.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 pm

This senseless tragedy mirrors the downward trajectery of today's society. Sadly, the worst is yet to come. God be with the victums' families.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:46 pm

As a small child I always wondered what it was like to have been my grandparents and to have first heard about Pearl Harbor.. My my dads dad heard about the attack and just quite what he was doing and headed out to join the military, other men on my mothers side who were old enough had similer actions..

My dad used to tell stories about how he felt when he heard about the assasinations of JFK and Martian Luther King- who my dad looked to as a hero..

maybe to a ceritan extent i got that when I heard about the Challenger explosian, though that was an accident..

to hearing about an unprevocked act of evil, one like 9-11, of a school shooting, or what happened yesterday in Boston, it rattles one something terrible.. a cry seems to scream from somewhere deep inside us, that this isnt right, that something must be done. Over the years I've come to understand to some degree who my father, and my grandfathers must have felt. And i hate it.

A Christian freind of mine once stated that the last thing we ought to ever ask of God is that we get justice, seeing how we're all sinners justice is something that might be best to avoid, rather we ought to be for Gods Mercy.

Last night I prayed that all those who have been affected receive the mercy of God, I also prayed that those responsible did receive justice, if not in a human court than in His.

The Good Lords brand of Justice is far superior to anything any of us could ever deliver.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 pm

It's over. May all the good people in and around Boston sleep well tonight.

I'll be attending the Boston Marathon next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Way to go Bob!

BOSTON STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:54 pm

Watched the news that they got this bastard last night and immediately went online and bought tickets for today at Fenway.

Erin and I went and it was a day for the Boston sports archives. Great tribute video, first responders, the Governor Patrick, Boston Chief of Police Ed Davis, FBI Agent in Charge and so many others.

Papi came back and the Sox played a great game - Neil Diamond sang Sweet Caroline IN PERSON in the 8th inning and in the bottom of the 8th, the Sox hit a 3 run homer and won the game.

Flag at Half Staff

A Few Simple Words Fenway10

A Few Simple Words Fenway14
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:30 am

Good for you, Mrkleen and Erin. What a great experience!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 am

MrKleen & Erin,

Wish we could have been there as well. I have not posted at all since this happened, in fact did not watch the game yesterday. I am very down and depressed about what has happened that everything else is just trivial and does not matter. It was like getting kicked in the gut!

I was not born in Boston but I have an inner spiritual connection with Boston and all of New England and its people. I consider Boston home turf!

I am sure this will pass for me, and I'll get on my horse again and begin my Post Game Posts, but just to see these 4 innocent people killed and hundreds hurt and lives altered forever is just too fresh in my mind!

Go Celtics....Go Sam's Forum....Go Boston!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Rich

You are in my thoughts and I understand where you are coming from.

This past week has given me a new perspective on my city and sports in general. The Celtics / Bruins / Red Sox have been such a positive force in the city this week, they are the diversion we needed during a trying time and win or lose, they are with us, as we are with them.

There was a great article written by Chad Finn - in the Globe that Boston isnt a City, its a Family.

Here is my favorite part of the piece:

One of the reasons that I love Boston dearly, one of the countless reasons that all seem so much more vivid and somber and relevant at this hour, is that the city never wavers from living by that certain big brother/little brother code:

We can mess with each other, and be damned sure that we will. But mess with us, just one of us, and our unified wrath will know no mercy.

No, we are not all related. But in times of trouble, you'd better believe we are all family.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/04/marathon.html

Using Chad's words - you dont have to be from Boston to be part of our family. Keep your head up my friend.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks MrKleen!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down