What Pierce's contract could net in return

+2
swedeinestonia
6 posters

Go down

What Pierce's contract could net in return Empty What Pierce's contract could net in return

Post by 112288 Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 am

SB NATION

Paul Pierce can still play. There's never been a question about that, but at this point of his career and the luxury tax of the new CBA looming, what his contract is worth off the court might be worth more than he is in the box score.

18 points on 45 FG%, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists.

That's what Paul Pierce averaged after Rajon Rondo went down with his ACL tear. By comparison, only LeBron James, the league MVP, averaged over 18/7/6 this season (with Kobe Bryant grabbing a shade under six rebounds a game). That's pretty good company for the 35-year-old.

But sadly, Pierce's time in a Celtic uniform could be over. Greg Dickerson thinks so and based on The Captain's comments during the playoff run, that Game 6 loss to the Knicks could be the final chapter for #34. I hate the idea of PP being so unceremoniously shown the door, but this is the ugly side of basketball as a business that we have to face.

With that said, Ben Watanabe of NESN brings up an interesting angle to Pierce's contract and the timing of when Danny needs to make a decision:

As a taxpaying team, the Celtics could trade away Pierce's $15.3 million and get back an amount equal to 125 percent of his outgoing salary, plus $100,000, under the CBA. (They would not be able to actually add the full $19.2 million, based on my math, because that would put them over the $74.3 million luxury tax "apron" at which they are hard-capped as a result of using the mid-level exception on Jason Terry.) The Celtics have 10 players under contract for next season, not counting Pierce or draft picks, which means they can acquire up to five players for roughly Pierce's $15 million. The team that acquires Pierce, provided it does so before June 30, can turn around and buy him out for $5 million.

Just like that, the other team has rid itself of about 30 percent of the current salary cap for a third of the cost. Suddenly, the market for Pierce does not look so limited.

So, there's that June 30th deadline but another date to keep in mind is June 27th. That's draft day. There has been some thought of running it back with the virtually the same roster next year and waiting to deal Pierce and Garnett before next season's trade deadline when talks really heat up, but if Danny decides to explore Watanabe's idea, what could he get in the next six weeks? Here are a few ideas (that don't include packaging him with another player), specifically from teams who are looking to slash payroll before hitting the luxury tax next year by trading for Pierce and buying him out for $5 million:

Gerald Wallace, Mirza Teletovic, and Reggie Evans/MarShon Brooks from the Brooklyn Nets: Gerald Wallace has not panned out in Brooklyn, but his athleticism and defense first mentality could be a fit in Boston. The Celtics have flirted with Evans in the past and he certainly could solve their rebounding woes.

Arron Afflalo and Glen Davis from the Orlando Magic: Could a Big Baby reunion in Boston work after signing Brandon Bass to a long term deal? Afflalo is another defensive stud, but he'd be joining an already crowded back court.

Carlos Boozer from the Chicago Bulls: Boozer has avoided the amnesty axe for two seasons now, but trading for Pierce's contract could allow them to save some cash.

Wilson Chandler, Andre Miller, and Kosta Koufos from the Denver Nuggets: If Andre Iguodala tests the free agency market this summer but decides to stay in the Mile High City, look for Denver to shed some salary this summer. With Evan Fournier and Kenneth Faried outperforming their rookie contracts and Corey Brewer wanting to re-sign, Chandler, Miller, and Koufos could be expendable. For the Celtics, those three players fill dire needs: a back-up PG and a big man.

Back to top Go down

What Pierce's contract could net in return Empty Re: What Pierce's contract could net in return

Post by swedeinestonia Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 am

Could Pierce resign with the Celtics at veterans minimum or such if a trade + buyout happened?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

What Pierce's contract could net in return Empty Re: What Pierce's contract could net in return

Post by 112288 Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 pm

GYSO, CAN WE?

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri May 17, 2013 12:33 pm

I mean IF Doc is coming back it means Pierce and KG are coming back (sort of, lots of IFs here but whatever).

And I do not think Pierce/KG/Doc would come back for another season of what just happened (+1 year more of age), makes one hopeful and wanting to smell what the Ainge is cookin'.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 17, 2013 1:12 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:Could Pierce resign with the Celtics at veterans minimum or such if a trade + buyout happened?

If Pierce is amnestied or traded and bought out, he cannnot rejoin the Celtics until 7/1/14.
If he is waived by 6/30/13, he would get the $5m buyout plus could sign for the veterans minimum.
If he is waived, Boston loses his Bird Rights, so they could only re-sign him at the Veterans Minimum or use an Exception (MLE) to sign him.

To me, I think he will be amnestied.
If a player is amnestied, they only receive the amount that is guaranteed on their contract.
So, Boston would be responsible for paying him $5m and that would not count against Boston's salary cap calculations.
When another team signs Pierce for lets say $5m, that goes as a credit to Boston, so Boston would owe Pierce $0 for next season.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 pm

tjmakz wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:Could Pierce resign with the Celtics at veterans minimum or such if a trade + buyout happened?

If Pierce is amnestied or traded and bought out, he cannnot rejoin the Celtics until 7/1/14.
If he is waived by 6/30/13, he would get the $5m buyout plus could sign for the veterans minimum.
If he is waived, Boston loses his Bird Rights, so they could only re-sign him at the Veterans Minimum or use an Exception (MLE) to sign him.

To me, I think he will be amnestied.
If a player is amnestied, they only receive the amount that is guaranteed on their contract.
So, Boston would be responsible for paying him $5m and that would not count against Boston's salary cap calculations.
When another team signs Pierce for lets say $5m, that goes as a credit to Boston, so Boston would owe Pierce $0 for next season.

Hi,
Based on TJ's (thanks) explanation: from sentimental standpoint option 2 would be great, from $$ standpoint it's option 1. As you know, $$ almost always beats everything else. I doubt that PP's going to be traded. Therefore, agree with TJ.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri May 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Why not reneg Pierces contract to 2 years at let sat $18 million?

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Did you notice the report that Dirk is willing to accept less to retool the Mav's?
Why can't this happen here?

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri May 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Can Pierce accept a 5m buyout and then be amnestied? That doesn't sound logical. If he is bought out, he is no longer under contract, right?

He does have a 8% trade kicker, so whoever takes him in trade will be in for more salary cost.

His contract and the results are just too confusing!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Good point Rosalie.

Better yet, 3 years at $18M. Pierce loses on this deal. If Celtics buy out at $5M, another team may...may give him amid level at $6M.......so 6+5 = $11M not $15.5M he is suppose to get this year.

Got to let him go NOW! You have Rondo in his prime, Green in his prime, Bradley in his prime.......you wait and rebuild beginning next year...it will take 5 years to get back to championship form.....so then Rondo is now 32years old....Green 33-34 years old......now they are getting older and may not be playing as good as they are at this age.

Bottom line, Celtics have no choice outside of reneg his contract if they can, if not he is good as gone......if he does come back.......One....Ainge is crazy.....second.....see in 2018 to get close to winning #18.

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 pm

If Paul is waived (gets a $5m buyout), he cannot be amnestied.
His current contract can be amnestied and he would get the guaranteed portion, not the $15.3m.

Waiving him makes zero sense to me compared to amnestying him.
Waiving him will keep $5m on the books, while if he is amnestied, Boston has $0 on the books for Pierce next year for salary cap purposes.
If he is waived, Pierce will receive $5m plus what ever he signs for.
If he is amnestied, Boston's $5m to Pierce is reduced by the amount he is signed for. Realsitically, Paul would receive at least the full MLE next year, so Boston would not be responsible for any of his salary.

The reason why Boston players can't renogotiate their contracts is because they are not player options. When Paul had a players option a few years ago, he did not pick up that final year, but signed a 3 or 4 year deal at less money per year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri May 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 17, 2013 4:26 pm

This is one of my points, TJ. He accepted less, was a good soldier, and now they are going to kick him out the door. I bet if we pull up articles from then they will refer to Pierce signing as one that would keep him here until he retired as a Celtic..
I guess I am really hung up on this. He has given his all to this team. I feel it is a disservice to all the Celtic fans who remembered all those greats retiring on their own, at 34, 35.

The problem is, with the money NBA players make, it is very hard to walk away. Their bodies are in much better shape and they feel they can go on forever.
Look at Kidd, although I do believe it is time for him to go!

I just wish they could find a way of keeping Paul here, that is all. Off the bench, not a starter. A sentimentalist at heart!!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri May 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Rosalie,

Pierce was well compensated for his basketball services........and.......there was no guarantee that if he was traded earlier that he would have won a championship.

The last 6 years was a great run for Pierce ....being in the mix of the playoffs...
winning a title.......loosing game 7 Title Game and 2X in the eastern finals......

again.......no guarantee he would have come close with another team in matching the last 6 years.

When we retire his number........is it going to make a difference at that moment in time that he played 3-4 more years for another team.......the answer is NO!..... We'll all be standing and applauding as his number gets raised to the rafters..........and then we'll sit back and watch another championship caliber Celtic team take the court!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down