Sam
jeb
sdceltfan
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics Mix Not Enough To Win Title Empty Celtics Mix Not Enough To Win Title

Post by sdceltfan Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 am

As big a Celtic fan as I am, I truly believe the Celtics as they are currently rostered and rotated cannot win the NBA Championship. I know it is early. But one thing I feel is certain: the Celtics do not have a 6th man coming off the bench that consistently offers immediate offensive. I was hoping Daniels was that man. Thus far I have been disappointed in that experimentation.

It is obvious to me that House, although on a given evening can raise offensive firepower, is not consistent enough nor is he a one - on - one player who can get to the free throw line.

Wallace could be that person, but he is going to have to get his *** down low to do it. He will never do it shooting 3's.

Big Baby will make his presence known, but he is not enough.

The opposition will design defenses in the playoffs that will squeeze Allen and Pierce; making Rondo, Perkins, Garnett, Daniels, House, Wallace, Big Baby beat them. I don't have a good feeling that they can if Doc doesn't make a drastic change.

Our team is more than the 1 1/2 years older than it was 1 1/2 years ago. By that I mean there is a lot more pacing going on out there by the starters. The players may even feel they are playing as hard. They aren't. Not surprising given their ages and minutes of intense NBA basketball. over long careers. One look at opponents' field goal %-ages the last 3 weeks will tell you that.

This team is going to have to find more offense than it has the last 2 post seasons because our defense will not be as stifling. Teams are going to squeeze Allen and Pierce, and run, run, run to further tire Boston's starters.

I feel the Celtics need a player like a Terry from the Mavericks or a Crawford from the Magic, or even Miller coming off the bench. I feel we don't have one. I was hoping Daniels would fit the bill, but he is not getting enough minutes to get into a rythm.

My solution would be to start Daniels and bring Allen in off the bench. Game plans by our opponents would have to change drastically, we would have better defense at the beginning of games, more firepower off the bench, and less fatigue for Allen. We have got to give Daniels more minutes and responsibility. I believe in the right rotations Daniels may make a difference, but not the way he is currently being used. Play him with the starters and I believe you will see quite a change.

Given current Celtic rotations I do not feel at all confident the Celtics can win an NBA championship. They appear a step slower and and tentative against aggressive and talented NBA teams. There just is not enough athleticism and young legs that can consistently play aggressive defense and score if Doc continues current rotations once we get to the playoffs.

Go Celtics!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Celtics Mix Not Enough To Win Title Empty Re: Celtics Mix Not Enough To Win Title

Post by jeb Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:18 am

Sdcelt

I will start to believe when we beat an elite team...and then another. I am not sure the Celtics can beat the Lakers but I feel very very good about making the finals.

I like what I am seeing in this win streak and see many areas to improve upon. Which is to say we got another gear.

So I think you are crying wolf a little bit. Young legs jump high but young brains make critical mistakes.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Celtics Mix Not Enough To Win Title Empty Re: Celtics Mix Not Enough To Win Title

Post by Sam Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 am

SD,

I feel the situation you're talking about is in its relative infancy. For one thing, there are three players who are new to the bench, and they're all feeling their way along to see where they fit in. Just as an example, most of us are concerned about the need for Sheed to spend more time down low. He must have spent 80% of his time down low tonight. There's a lot of experimentation going on.

And the experimentation will presumably continue when Davis gets back into the mix. They're searching (and will continue to search) for the optimal blend and system of play to maximize everyone's contribution and the synergy as a unit. I'll be shocked if it's anywhere near finalized until after All-Star time...and maybe not then.

Right now, the starting five are playing with better balance and effectiveness on offense that I've seen since the Rome days. (You can take that however you want.) Yes, I didn't like the starters' offense during the championship season as much as I have in the last game or two. To me, the balance is the key. Balance between the offensive loads on the various players (with Perk making ever-increasing contributions; the physical balance on the floor (with Ray and Pierce spreading the spacing); the balance of offensive weapons (attack in the paint, inside-outside game, perimeter contributions, even the occasional fast break, and a fairly constant push of the ball); and the balance between teamwork and individual contributions (with assists usually generating 60%-70% of the made field goals). I believe Rondo is achieving his own sense of balance whereby he's a lot more judicious about penetrating for wild shots versus slipping in for sure things or passing off. I would do just about anything to avoid breaking up the starting unit, and I believe substituting Daniels for Ray would severely compromise their ability to space the floor.

The starters still require considerable improvement on the defensive end, although I sense they've regained a lot of their "feel" for the swarming and help defensive energy that they had two years ago. They need some games in which they can combine a strong interior defense with an ability to jump out and protect the perimeter.

The bench is, and will be, a work in progress. I think they need rebounding help, and I'd like to seem them try Glen at the "3" when he returns. If not, it will be interesting to see who wins the Davis/Williams battle at the "4." My bet is that it would be decided by which one can better complement Sheed down low in occupying shot-blocking defenders and leaving open lanes for Daniels to drive. Glen could have the edge because of his superior passing ability, while Williams could represent an option when they're losing the rebounding battle.

All of this will necessitate some more experimentation and a LOT of repetitions to gain the sort of familiarity that becomes almost instinctive. That's the main reason why I believe it's premature to make judgments now. And there's always the possibility that additional player acquisitions could further set back the assimilation process.

I, for one, am content to sit back and enjoy the games...and the gradual improvement that's becoming pretty obvious with every passing game. I firmly believe that this team is nothing like the cohesive juggernaut it could be by springtime.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 am

Way too early for me to make any kind of call on this team.

They just played their best back to back games of the season IMO, and went into Miami and beat them in all aspects of the game.

I see no other team in the NBA that scares me....so for now, i have to assume it is up to the Celtics to beat themselves.

Last edited by mrkleen09 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:34 am

With the veteran leadership this team has I see a very focused road team. At home so far they seem to dig a hole early and then have to catch up. IMO the C's have the best starting 5 in the NBA, but it's a long season and Rivers has a lot to think about with the big three's minutes and the right lineup substitutions.

I'm with Sam content for now while the team gradually improves.

Last night the Bobcat announcers were generous with the compliments for the C's. Curry's opinion matches mine. He did say defensively the C's were the best in the league no doubt.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:44 am

Hoop,

I'm hoping that their problems were not so much being at home but the fact that they just happened to be at home when they went into a slump.

The good news is that their emergence from the slump also started at home.

In some ways, it might be well if we all could all magically hibernate through the winter and pick up with the Celtics in the spring...because they'll be very different then. But that would be no good, because it's more fun to watch games like last night's and be able to discuss them. LOL.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 am

Sam,

Did you ever skip to read the ending of a good book? If your like me it only happens once. This is too much fun, even (believe it or not) the losses!

Don't tell my wife I said that. She is usually in the other room with the DVR playing "Dancing with the Stars" very loud while I am shouting at Eddie House for a reach in foul or something else equally silly.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:09 am

SD

I think I'll enjoy the journey and not fret about 6 months from now. So much can and will change. some key players on virtually every team will suffer an injury or two perhaps serious perhaps not.

We do appear to be going thru stages like most teams. Like a butterfly going thru metamorphosis, we might be a bit ugly at first but it's a work in progress. And the end result might be quite beautiful.

To count us out now..............................why?

We arn't the Cubbies.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:13 am

SD,
I think that the team is physically (players, coach) equipped to win it all. Sure, it needs a few minor adjustments here and there. The equally important part is psychological. If they can bring it to the high speed by the beginning of playoffs nobody will be able to stop this green train except a new ring.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 am

SD,
Let's see what BB brings to the mix. After he finds his court legs, if he matures as much as Perkins has and both can stay consistent and KG continues to approach his old game, this will be a different team.
I know that's a lot of "if's" but none of them are too big a stretch.
This team is still settling in.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:41 am

sinus

we all know playoff basketball will result in slow-down type play, usually happens. Seems if thats the case we have an advantage against most everyone. If we remain healthy and can limit minutes along the way we should be in fine shape come April-May-June.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:41 am

your serious?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:59 pm

sdceltic

I think it is way too early to make definitive statements about where the Celtics can get to with this team.

I still see them as a work in progress particularly given the fact that 2 of the main rotation players are new to the team and are still getting to see where they fit in and what they need to do to help the team.

There have been times this year where our lack of athleticism seems to have hurt but othertimes the Celtics perform like a well oiled machine.

The bench will be fine if we give them some time.

The Celtics starters are now all seasoned veterans who have played together for a while and that bodes well for the team.

Let see how they do this month playing 10 of 14 on the road.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:04 am

It appears this post received a lot of interest.. Great!! I love to hear from you guys and always look forward to your analysis and predictions. I am not crying wolf, but you haven't diminished the concern I see when we play aggressive,, talented teams.

I believe this winning streak has occurred against lesser teams, and a few of them were in doubt until the last minute of play. Power ratings show us around #6 to #8, so I am not out in left field here, guys.

I am concerned that I see the same things that needed improvement last year, and even the year before (even though we won the championship). Opposing teams have noticed what we have seen: the4 Celtics do not play well against running, aggressive offenses: the Magic, Suns, Bulls, Hawks. Even Golden State and the Knicks gave us a lot of trouble by pushing and pushing the ball. It isn't just my imagination.

If Doc hasn't found an answer by now, when will he? This is nothing new. Ainge and Doc know the problems. Ainge even questioned the team's pride and energy no more than 2 weeks ago.

I am with the Celtics all the way. But Celtic pride and loyalty can't blind me to some obvious shortcomings at this point in the season.

Go Celtics!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:18 am

14-4 WHILE going through a mini slump. I share your concerns but see things different. This team has everything it needs.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:20 am

I do have to say, sd, The celtics haven't really passed any of the big tests this early season after opening night. We haven't seen them come up strong against one of the very good teams. Tomorrow night is another opportunity...some may question whether SAS is one of the elite teams now, but beating them at home would signal to me that at least the C's have gotten out of the slump.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:38 am

Lacelt

I concur. We need to beat a Laker quality team. Orlando will do. I think it's coming.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 am

Just don’t get where some of this doom and gloom is coming from.

-They destroyed the Bulls....a team that took them to the limit last season, putting an end to the feeling that the Bulls and Celtics were some kind of tough match up.

-They beat Miami IN Miami, they killed Charlotte who was on a win streak that included a big beat down of Cleveland

Sure they have lost a few they should have / could have won – but that happens. Atlanta is coming back to earth, Phoenix wont make it out of the West, and Indiana was a fluke.

They still have to find a way to solve the Orlando puzzle, as they are clearly in the Celtics heads right now….but other than that, they are playing very good ball…and improving.

And as for someone quoting Hollinger and the “power rating”, you would be hard pressed to find a more irrelevant rating system….this is the same guy that gave the Celtics NO CREDIT all the way to banner #17. Far as I am concerned, the worse John Hollinger thinks you are – the better it is for you as a team.

If you guys jumped on board as fans in 2007, I can see why you might be worried. But for long time fans, having a team that is 14-4 is a blessing of epic proportions. The championship is the ultimate goal – but after 25 years of mediocrity, I am enjoying the ride just as much as where it takes us.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 am

Mr Kleen,
I jumped on board in 1962...I'm just calling it like I see it. On the other hand, I agree that this is going to be a fun year...It's great to be a C's fan, always...
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:42 am

beat wrote:We arn't the Cubbies.

beat

Says it all for me.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Fellas

At the start of the year I was sure we were going to win. Then I wanted "history" then we hit that funk and I said "we may not have it" Now we are up again.

I am tryin to ease off the throttle and just enjoy the ride. BUT I do feel this team as it is (with BBD) can and will win it all. They are deep, unselfish, tall and match up better than anybody with the Lakers.

The Bobcat announcers having seen Orlando and Cleve said again and again Boston was the best of those three.

I mean Jaysus we are 14-4 and still have not played even close to how we can.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Jeb: Don't forget we still don't have a true back up point guard for Rondo! Splitting minutes between Pierce, Daniels and House should not be the answer for the long run. Also ball handling takes away from Eddie's spot up shooting. We will have to see how much Doc can stick to managing minutes especially Garnett, Pierce & R. Allen. If he doesn't consistently develop trust in the bench we'll have difficulty down the road. I wish we'd have signed Andre Miller and not let him get away to Portland!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Mrkleen, I started this post and the "Adjustment" posts to stimulate comment and encourage differences be heard. I continue to be amazed that posts questioning Celtics' play and inviting communication and dissent can be construed as "doom and gloom".

Without questioning and varying opinions boards such as this would be very boring and would not expand posters' knowledge and enjoyment.

By the way, I still feel the Celtics cannot win a title as the starting 5 is currently positioned. I feel Allen should come off the bench. I feel it is more possible with Daniels starting. I see more benefits, as I related previously.

Nonetheless, Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 pm

SD,

If Ray were to come off the bench, who would space the floor for the starters? Pierce? I don't think so, because it would restrict his game too much to make him more exclusively a perimeter threat; and you don't gain by making a hopefully positive change in one area while diluting your strength in another area. Daniels? Certainly not. I just can't see it...and especially not with the starting unit currently functioning the most smoothly it has in a long while. Why mess up that chemistry? What's the advantage?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Sam, I feel Daniels is a much better player than he has shown coming off the bench in limited minutes. Daniels is a better defensive player than Allen as well. Allen would bring more firepower off the bench, probably play fewer minutes and be stronger at game's end and end of season.

Of course Daniels isn't the offensive threat Allen is, but he has strengths that aren't being utilized off the bench. I feel Daniels would be playing much better with starters. Can Daniels get back his mojo that I have seen in the past? I don't know.

Just making suggestions Sam. If Daniels does not play like I know he is capable of, it will make the Celtics' job that much more difficult.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next