gyso
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Sources: Clips walk away from deal Empty Sources: Clips walk away from deal

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Updated: June 18, 2013, 12:26 PM ET

By Ramona Shelburne | ESPNLosAngeles.com

The Los Angeles Clippers have once again walked away from the bargaining table and just might be done with the talks to acquire Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers from the Boston Celtics for good, sources said Tuesday morning.

The teams have no plans to speak again, the sources said, and the Clippers are preparing to move on and hire a coach this week.

The talks broke down Tuesday morning when the Clippers "refused to budge" on Boston's latest proposal that asked for DeAndre Jordan, straight up for Garnett, and two first-round draft picks as compensation for allowing Rivers out of the final three-years and $21 million of his contract.

The Clippers will now go forward with second interviews of Byron Scott on Tuesday and Brian Shaw on Wednesday, where each will meet with owner Donald Sterling. Lionel Hollins had a two-day interview in which he met with Sterling last week.

Clippers sources say the team expects to hire a coach by the end of this week, or early next week.

Back to top Go down

Sources: Clips walk away from deal Empty Re: Sources: Clips walk away from deal

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:42 pm

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/update-celtics-clippers-deal-reportedly-dead

The latest is this: No deal.

The L.A. Times reports that the Clippers have walked away from talks with the Celtics Tuesday morning, seemingly at odds over giving up one or two first-round picks to the Celtics in a deal that would also send DeAndre Jordan to Boston for Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers.

The two sides agreed to sleep on it Monday night, but it appears that neither was willing to budge on who and what goes where.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reported Monday night the Celtics have relented on many of their earlier demands -- the include of backup point guard Eric Bledsoe; the insistence that L.A. take on the contract of either Jason Terry or Courtney Lee -- but are insisting the Clippers include a second future first-round draft choice in their offer. The Clips want to hold firm on just center DeAndre Jordan and one first-round pick for Kevin Garnett and the rights to coach Doc Rivers.

That's where the sides stand as Tuesday morning breaks. Wojnarowski reports: "The two teams are planning to talk again on Tuesday morning, and the fragile negotiations could climax over the draft pick compensation, sources said."

Sources also told Wojnarowski that Rivers "is still torn over whether he would stay with Boston should this deal fall apart".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Yay!!

Once Bledsoe was off the table and then no salary relief with them taking Terry or Lee, it was a poor trade.

What's up, Doc?  I hope you like broadcasting for the next 2-3 years.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Until the Clips hire a coach not named Doc the deal is not dead.

I think Da was being reasonable in what he ask for even after Bledsoe was off the table.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:13 pm

gyso wrote:Yay!!

Once Bledsoe was off the table and then no salary relief with them taking Terry or Lee, it was a poor trade.

What's up, Doc?  I hope you like broadcasting for the next 2-3 years.

gyso

gyso,

I agree with you about the trade.
 The Clips wanted Doc and KG for Jordan and 1 first round pick.  They didn't want to give a second 1st rounder nor did they want to take either Terry or Lee.  The deal should have been walked away from.

As far as Doc going into broadcasting, I'm not so sure.  

1.  He has not said anything bad about the Celtics organization or any of the players.  So, he hasn't burned any bridges with anybody who matters.  To be completely blunt, we don't matter.  If the team goes out and plays hard, whatever hard feelings the Gahden crowd might harbor will evaporate.

2.  If he leaves, then KG quits, and we get nothing in exchange for either of them.  No players, no draft picks, no production.  I don't know how retired players' who retire while they still have some contract left salaries fit into the salary cap, but I bet they don't get 100% relief.  You'd know this better than me, of course, but it seems to me that if it did, then every team would sign older players (but under 36) for whatever and have a gentleman's agreement that they will retire if they can't cut it anymore and let the team get full relief of their remaining contract.  That'd be a hole in the CBA big enough for Trader Danny to drive a semi through (as you know, they changed the CBA with the "Gary Payton Rule" because Danny was, shall we say, exceptionally creative.  When they look for loopholes to close, they have one eye on our Danny Boy when they do it).  What I do know, though, is that if we take KG's $12M completely off, we're still over the $57M cap.  So, who could we replace him with?  Unfortunately, Doc's salary doesn't count against the cap, so him saying bye bye doesn't help that.  If we buy out Pierce, that's still $5M that I bet still applies to the cap.  

3.  The only downside to this is that free agents who want to come here for 3+ years have to wonder if Doc will still be here through their tenure.  If that issue can be presented well to the agents, and the top players tend to group around a handful of agents, then we might minimize that impact.

Besides, coaches get fired constantly.  If Doc had left the Celtics the coaches with the longest tenure with the same team would be Pop, who is an anomaly like Jerry Sloan was, and Eric freaking Spoelstra.  Any player who goes to a team on a 3-4 year contract and assumes the same coach will be there the whole time is daft.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 pm

I suppose it's not really over until the Clips sign a different coach -- this could all be yet another negotiating ploy -- but I always found it hard to believe that Tightwad Sterling would agree to such a financially onerous deal. The killers for Sterling are paying the $3.5 million trade kicker required by Jordan's contract and the $35 million/5 year contract it would take to sign Doc. To Sterling, he can't understand why he should pay $7 million per year for a coach when he can get one for $2 million or $3 million. That's money right out of Sterling's pocket, and doing that goes against every fiber in his body.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 pm

bobh,

1.  Some hard feelings will never evaporate, no matter how illogical that may sound to some.

2. If Doc leaves, KG may or may not quit.  Only KG knows that. 

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61

Coon, Larry (2012); \"NBA Salary Cap/Collective Bargaining Agreement FAQ" wrote:61. What are the rules for retired players? What if the player suffers a career-ending injury?
There's nothing binding about a player announcing his retirement. The player can still sign a new contract and continue playing (if he's not under contract), or return to his team (if he is still under contract) and resume his career.

The only exception to this is when a player is still under contract, wants to quit, and his team doesn't want to let him out of his contract. Under these circumstances the player can file for retirement with the league. The player is placed on the league's Voluntarily Retired list (see question number 77), forgoes his remaining salary, and cannot return to the league for one year. The latter requirement prevents players from using retirement as an underhanded way to change teams, and can be overridden with unanimous approval from all 30 teams. For example, guard Jason Williams signed with the LA Clippers in August 2008, then changed his mind the following month, announcing his retirement. He applied for reinstatement in early 2009, but his request was denied by a vote of 24-6. Williams later signed with the Orlando Magic once the one-year anniversary of his retirement announcement had passed.

If KG "retired", the Celtics would have to play hardball with him and his contract.  They didn't with Sheed, but perhaps that is apples and oranges.

I would rather suck with the same team we had last year than suck with Jordon on board and only come out with a couple late first round picks (reportedly 2014 and 2017).  I believe "playing it forward" with a tweak or two was better than anything the Clippers had, other than perhaps Danny's original offer.

3.  Doc or no Doc, I have never seen any evidence (other than the one big time when KG changed his mind) that any top free agents ever wanted to come to Boston when the opportunity arose.   IMO, top free agents do not sign for the MLE or vet min contracts, so that removes most of what has transpired with the Celtics in the last 5-6 years.  The only time we had a chance at a TFA was West, and he passed.

gyso

PS:  if this is an example of how this off-season is going to play out, it is going to be a looooonnnnnggggg one.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Funniest post of the day . . .

PV Mike wrote:
Tommy Heinsohn just blamed the referees for the trade falling apart.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:08 pm

The rumored mega-trade between the Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics for Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett is reportedly dead, according to sources on both sides of the deal.

A monumental trade that would have sent Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers and former NBA MVP Kevin Garnett to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for prospects and draft picks is dead, according to multiple reports citing sources on both teams.

The deal, which would have sent Rivers and Garnett to the Clippers in exchange for DeAndre Jordan and at least one draft pick, plus other assets, was reported as heating up, stalling, changing and even nearly complete. None of those words can describe the proposed transaction now, though. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge went on record with an official denial to the Boston Globe on Tuesday morning.

Los Angeles Times beat writer Brad Turner quoted a Clippers executive saying the deal was off because the Celtics were "asking for too much." Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski and CBS Sports' Ken Berger all reported the same, but A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England suggested the deal died due to the "ultimate cheapskate move" of the Clippers not being willing to give up a second first-round pick in exchange for Rivers and Garnett.

Other iterations of the deal included the Clippers absorbing the mid-level contracts of either Jason Terry, Courtney Lee or both, which the Clippers ultimately balked at doing. Rivers' new salary, as well as a $3 million trade kicker in Jordan's contract, were also costs the Clippers didn't want to absorb, according to Wojnarowski.

Rivers' future with the Celtics is now up in the air. Ainge has asked Rivers to return as coach, according to Wojnarowski, but it's unclear whether Rivers or Garnett wants to return for a rebuilding effort.

bob
MY NOTE:  Donald Sterling?  A cheapskate?  NO!!!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:20 pm

If this deal is truly dead, I think the Clippers will be fine with Brian Shaw, Byron Scott or Hollins as their head coach.
I think a coach is an overrated part of a team.

This won't leave Boston in a very good position.
Boston could possibly lose Pierce, KG and Doc and have nothing to show for them.

The Clippers meanwhile could try to move Jordan/Blesdoe and others for Dwight Howard, although I don't think the Lakers will want to clog up next summers cap space with Jordan's contract.

Things will shake out for Boston, it's just hard to see what the finished product will look like at this point...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:20 pm

It sounds pretty final, and that's too bad.

KG is near the end of a long and productive career, but can no longer play to the level of the competition every game, and I think Doc really needs to leave now.  In my opinion there is no way Doc can or should stay, not when it's known he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild. 

Getting Jordan would have been a nice addition in an area of need for us.  We walk away from this in the minus column even though you could say nothing happened.  This might have been a limited shot at shedding a big contract and bringing back a starting-quality young center.  We probably just end up minus a coach.

Were I Danny, I probably would have fallen back and tried it for Jordan and next year's first rounder only, leaving everything else out.  Sometimes in a negotiation you have to know when to conceed in order to still realize a net gain. I would have called getting Jordan for KG and a less than enthusiastic coach a net gain.  Of course I'm also second-guessing the hard work of someone who has all the details that I don't.  It does look like in part it dropped because Sterling wasn't wild about the price tag on the contract they had discussed with Doc.

The league knows we're ready to deal, so let's go see what's out there Danny.  We may not knock down a blockbuster, but we can make a start.  I'd say now's the time to take a clear and open shot at seeing what we might be able to do with Pierce.  We're probably going to have to hang on to KG after this rare opportunity to move him.  There are several coaching prospects to help kick it off, let's start there and go get a good one!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I blame Danny Ainge.

He drug his feet for too long.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

GOOD FOR DANNY!

THE SPORTS TALK IN BOSTON (WEEI) ALL SAID DANNY WAS IN THE POWER POSITION AND NOT TO DO THE DEAL AS IT WAS PRESENTED.

NOW THE THE CLIPPERS WILL HAVE TO TRY TO GET PAUL TO COMEBACK AND COMMIT TO 5 YEARS WITH A COACH HE DOES NOT WANT NOR A CENTER HE WANTS........GOOD LUCK LAC!

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Eh...

This should be more about what Boston needs than what an outside conference team needs. Sure the Clippers are in a tough spot but it's not like they are even a rival.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Plan A:
Bring back KG, PP, and Doc
Keep rebuilding around Rondo
Welcome back Sully

With the core returning, despite the misgivings of many,
the Celtics will once again be competitive and a long shot to win #18.
Health is the most important element of another title run as we have all seen.
Don't Worry, Be Happy:bounce:

For those who think it would be impossible for Doc to continue in Boston think about this. Nothing will have changed if KG and PP are still here. That's a mutual love fest. I'm very optimistic for the future!
mulcogi
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down