Report: Rivers, Ainge to meet Wednesday

+5
gyso
bobheckler
NYCelt
dboss
9 posters

Go down

Report: Rivers, Ainge to meet Wednesday Empty Report: Rivers, Ainge to meet Wednesday

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:38 pm

CSNE

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/report-rivers-ainge-meet-wednesday

Now that the deal between the Celtics and Clippers is apparently dead, Doc Rivers may be ready to make a decision about his future in Boston.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, Rivers will come to town Wednesday and plans to meet with the Celts' basketball boss, Danny Ainge. 

Rivers, sources say, is mulling taking a sabbatical from coaching.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI

YAHOO! EXPERT

Doc Rivers unsure about returning to Celtics as coach after Clippers deal falls apart

After talks in a blockbuster deal fell apart over draft pick compensation, Doc Rivers is unsure about returning to the Boston Celtics as coach, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

The Celtics have told Doc Rivers they would still like him to return as coach. (Getty Images)
Celtics general manager Danny Ainge informed Rivers of the failed trade talks on Tuesday morning, and reiterated the Celtics' desire to have him return and fulfill the final three years and $21 million left on his contract, sources said.
Rivers will travel to Boston on Wednesday and discuss his future with Ainge. The Celtics and Rivers plan to reach a final resolution in the next few days, sources said.

The Clippers refused to part with two first-round picks and DeAndre Jordan as part of a package to bring Kevin Garnett and Rivers to Los Angeles. The Clippers had started to waver on the trade in the past few days, inspiring belief among many in the process that the notoriously frugal franchise had grown uneasy about paying Rivers the five-year, $35 million contract that it had negotiated with him, along with a $3 million-plus trade kicker on Jordan's contract.
The Clippers had reached agreement with Rivers in recent days on the five-year contract that included incentives that could have pushed his annual salary near $8 million, league sources said.
As much as Rivers wanted the Clippers job, Boston management wanted to use the deal to speed up its rebuilding process. Ainge and Rivers aren't at odds, sources said.

The Clippers plan to return to interviewing candidates for their coaching job, including Brian Shaw, Byron Scott and Lionel Hollins, sources said.

The Clippers informed the Celtics on Tuesday morning that they were unwilling to meet Ainge's price to complete the deal. There were no discussions about probing other ways to complete the deal, sources said.

Kevin Garnett would have waived his no-trade clause to join Rivers with the Clippers. (Getty Images)
Nevertheless, there is always an opportunity for the teams to still revisit parameters of a deal until Los Angeles has hired a coach.

This Clippers play was a gamble for Rivers, who has jeopardized his immense popularity in Boston with the bid to be part of a bold deal to go to Los Angeles with Garnett.

Rivers pushed for the Clippers partnership because of his desire to bypass a rebuilding process with Boston. As one source tied to Boston ownership and Rivers said, "You don't just move on from this and act like nothing happened."
Rivers has TV broadcast options available to him if he steps away from coaching, but he won't be able to work in the NBA again without the Celtics releasing him from his contract. Boston will demand compensation out of any team trying to hire Rivers in management or coaching.

Back to top Go down

Report: Rivers, Ainge to meet Wednesday Empty Re: Report: Rivers, Ainge to meet Wednesday

Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Danny cannot fire Doc but I just do not see how he comes back and coaches this team.

Doc was willing to leave the Celtics.

Danny and the Celtics management has been very good to Doc.  Top salary, input in who is on the roster, flexibility to be with his family and even support during and after the 18 game fiasco.

Doc was more than willing to leave for what appeared to be greener pastures.

This is like leaving your wife after 9 years of marriage because you saw another woman that you wanted to be with  But after she did not give you any you want to come back and be with the wifey.

Doc Rivers is a moron.  If he comes back and Danny plays the part of Hillary fine but this is one Celtics fan that will call it like I see it.

In the end Doc Rivers is no better than any other self-absorbed person that puts himself above others. 

How on earth can you trust someone like that to coach your team?  He will come under more scrutiny than ever and that atmosphere is a big negative.

Doc could use a measure of self respect and do the right thing by resigning.  There are no mulligans here.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Report: Rivers, Ainge to meet Wednesday Empty Re: Report: Rivers, Ainge to meet Wednesday

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 pm

dBoss

I agree!

Doc signing that 5 year deal......Doc was signing on as a team member of the Celtic management. You have to be short sighted or stupid not to know that somewhere in that contract term KG and PP would be old and finished to ever lead the Celtic again to challenge for a title. Doc is neither and he is a very calculating guy.

I hope this teaches him and others a lesson who think they are bigger then the "team concept" which Doc preached in 2008 to get KG, RA & PP to play as a team and not ME BALL!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 pm

I expect that Doc will be back. He is not stupid and will not walk away from $21 mill.

Da and doc will get together tomorrow and cook up a nice bullshit pie to feed to the fans. Many fans will eat up and take a nap.

In 2 months all will be forgotten.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:39 pm

dboss,

Gentlemen's bet?

I'll say after they meet it's announced Doc is leaving.

Within a year the C's will release him from his non-compete and he'll be coaching elsewhere.

That's the view from my slightly cracked crystal ball...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 am

NYCelt

Never..........he is locked and no good business guy would let him out. Danny can be a hard ass.........and Wyc.....he has $700Million reason's why Doc will be nailed.  He just upset the apple cart.

Perhaps another team will be in play and the C an make a deal just for Doc. 

The Clippers can never be trusted again.....they were a Trojan Horse and Danny got stuck 2X...last year and now.

I would tell the Clippers to go X@ck your selves.

PS G got fouled on his drive...no call....LJ elbow to Green no call..........The NBA is fixed.......smells like low tide!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 am

Well I cannot fault Danny for not caving in...and can find plenty of fault with Danny. But would we have been satisfied gettin Jordan and an unknown 1st rounder and having to find another head coach.

The Clips did not negotiate in good faith.

What a mess...

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 am

dBoss,

Until LAC sign a coach this deal is still active in theory and I am sure they are getting feed back from Paul...........if Paul is negative watch for talks to resume. We have until next Thursday (draft) to get this done.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 pm

112288 wrote:dBoss,

Until LAC sign a coach this deal is still active in theory and I am sure they are getting feed back from Paul...........if Paul is negative watch for talks to resume. We have until next Thursday (draft) to get this done.

We have even more time than that.  The Clips might get someone in this draft that pleases them and makes them feel they could give up another 1st rounder to Danny.  Or, we trade our pick for two 2nds, which we trade to LAC in exchange for the their 2nd first (2nd rounders don't have guaranteed contracts and that might please Mr. Tightwad). Or...

My point is that, as you pointed out, this deal is dead in theory but not permanently until the Clips sign a new coach, whenever that is, and NOT by draft day.  Hell, free agency happens 7/1 and who knows how that will change the landscape!

Patience, when negotiating, can be a great and invaluable virtue.

bob
P.S.  For some reason, when I try to quote someone now I'm part of their original post and not in a separate box below theirs.  That's why this doesn't look normal.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 pm

bobh,

Free agents become "free" on July 1st, but they cannot be signed until after the July Moratorium.

102. What is the July Moratorium?

It is a period during the month of July in which teams may not sign most free agents or make trades. Free agents become free on July 1, but the salary cap is not set until the league's audit is completed later in the month. Teams and players must wait for the salary cap to be set before trades and most free agent signings can commence. Teams may negotiate with free agents beginning July 1, but they have to wait until the moratorium ends before signing a contract.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q102

We have to wait until July 10, 2013 to sign a free agent.

gyso

PS:  It seems like the forum got an update recently.  One glitch is that when using the quote button, you cannot put your curser under the yellow, or quoted part.  I hope they fix it.

One work-around is to copy the text and then use the 'Quote' button in  the QUICK REPLY box down below.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:20 pm

I think you guys have it all wrong. It's not like Doc went after the Clippers, they came after him. The idea of leaving the wife for a new womon isn't something you can totally ignore, not in this business climate. Plus, the new potential wifey was willing to let him bring along at least one of his mistress' and maybe get the second one later. I just don't see how you can lay this all on Doc. The Clips made the overture, not to Doc, but to Danny. Danny tried to move Doc and KG to improve the Celtics down the road. Like I said before, Doc returns with KG and PP we have lost nothing, we are just back to Plan A. Now if PP and KG don't return, that's another matter.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:37 pm

When quoting another post, I was copying/pasting the quoted text into a new post and inserting the quote markers manually, but I just tried Gyso's workaround, and it's easier. I hadn't noticed that quote function (hover over the button and it says 'Quote') in the Quick Reply section. Thanks Gyso.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 pm

mulcog,

Doc didn't exactly come out and say the reports were false.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm

k_j,

We have no way of knowing what the real story behind all this is. We are not privy to most of it, and the easy conjecture could be completely off base. As I said in another post (I think a different thread), I can see multiple scenarios where Ainge was the one pushing this deal rather than Doc. Let's say Ainge saw an opportunity to get Jordan (a young asset) for KG (a very good asset but with a very limited shelf life), but the only way KG would agree to waive his no-trade clause is if Doc also went with him.

I'm not saying that is the most likely scenario, but it's possible. I just find it hard to believe the primary narrative given, that Doc wants out of Boston and forced Ainge's hand. Ainge is looking for a path to the post-KG/Pierce era, and this would get him there sooner with assets in hand instead of a year or two of declining play and then nothing in compensation when they retire except cap space.

The biggest problem with this whole deal is that it became public. That was a risk, but we'd be in a completely different situation if everyone had kept their mouth shut. My guess is that one side wanted it to become public to change the negotiating dynamic, and my next guess is that it was the Clippers, because the Celtics are in turmoil over this and the Clippers actually get a boost for looking like serious players, even if they chickened out and Sterling wouldn't foot the bill.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Astute analysis Outside.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Outside,

Many things that occur here are based off conjecture Smile

I'm not so sure if the Clippers gain much from this public attention. They'll lose Chris Paul regardless if his demands aren't satiated.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:09 pm

k_j - the Chris Paul situation suggests to me that this deal is NOT over.
The fat lady won't start singing for a while. Meanwhile Danny will be pursuing other options.

Consider for a moment how close we came to the Finals last year with a team that on paper was very similar to what we had this year - 12 minutes away in Game 7. Danny had realistic hopes of taking us to the Finals this year had Rondo stayed healthy, had Lee and Terry played well, and had the entire team jelled. Of course that didn't happen - but we can't disparage Danny for limited powers of clairvoyancy.

With Sully and Rondo healthy, Courtney Lee performing better, a trade or two here, a retirement or two there, and the luck O' the Irish, we may find ourselves doing much better than entering a rebuilding phase. The Celtics are a top notch organization, and I expect positive surprises from them every year.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Outside

That makes no sense.

From what I have read, doc does not want to be part of a rebuild. He must think he's Phil Jackson.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:44 pm

kj
Doc didn't say he wanted a trade, either. In fact, all he has said is he hasn't made a decision and was thinking about things. same every year.

dboss,
Doc originally agreed to a rebuild when he signed the contract. If he has changed his mind its because he was never on board, or decided later, not to be for a total ground up rebuild, just tweaking as KG, PP near retirement. I take it you don't like Doc very much. lol

I predict we will all know a lot more come Jul 1
mulcogi
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm

There are 1280 angels at the head of a pin. Anyone want to argue this point?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 pm

dboss wrote:Outside

That makes no sense.

From what I have read, doc does not want to be part of a rebuild. He must think he's Phil Jackson.
And how do you know what you've read is based on? You find my scenario implausible? Okay. But I find the "Doc doesn't want to rebuild and wants to coach somewhere else" scenario implausible. The guy has given his heart and soul to the franchise for nine years. If he doesn't want to coach during a rebuild, fine, but I don't see him abandoning these players he is so connected to. I find it much easier to believe that he wants to stay with KG and that Ainge has made it clear that he wants to move KG and Pierce and jumpstart the rebuilding. If Doc not wanting to rebuild was the only factor, then he could take a sabbatical from coaching, which he has talked about in the past, or go back to broadcasting.

The only reason Doc coaching another team is being mentioned is because of him and KG being a package deal and Doc and Ainge setting it up so that it benefits the Celtics. If we knew everything about this situation, we could be thinking that Doc is doing right by the Celtics, not undermining them.

But the fact remains that we don't know the real deal.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 pm

There are 1280 angels at the head of a pin. Anyone want to argue this point?

That depends on whether one includes cherubim.  They take up less space.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:05 pm

worcester wrote:There are 1280 angels at the head of a pin. Anyone want to argue this point?
I guess I should feel complimented when people call me a pinhead.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Bob - Male or female cherubim?
Outside - Does that mean you've been on the O'Reilly Factor lately?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The question, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" has been used many times as a dismissal of medieval angelology in particular, and of scholasticism in general. The phrase has been used also to criticize figures such as Duns Scotus and Thomas Aquinas.[1] Another variety of the question is: "How many angels can sit on the head of a pin?" In modern usage, this question also serves as a metaphor for wasting time debating topics of no practical value, or questions whose answers hold no intellectual consequence.[2][3]
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down