Doctor's orders: how the Clippers trade started

+3
k_j_88
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Doctor's orders: how the Clippers trade started Empty Doctor's orders: how the Clippers trade started

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 pm

SB NATION

By wjsy on Jun 20 2013, 8:25p 4

Mike Ehrmann

For the first time in this entire mess, Steve Bulpett reveals the behind-the-scenes machinations of this trade to send Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers to Los Angeles.

Like a lot of Celtics fans, I was heartbroken when I first heard of the idea that Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett were no longer going to be in Boston. It didn't matter where they were going. I wondered what happened to Ubuntu, what happened to "I want to retire a Celtic," and what happened to the idea of running it back next season.

With the trade on hold for the time being as the league prepares for the final game of the season, the Herald's Steve Bulpett has some details on how this all came down in the front office:

Source: Rivers never planned to be part of rebuilding

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Rivers was deciding between returning to the Celtics and stepping away from the game when the club asked him if he'd be interested in any of the coaching jobs that were opening around the league. Rivers was said to have no interest in the Nets, who had fired his friend Avery Johnson during the season.

He was then asked if the Clipper job appealed to him, and it was then he learned the Celts had already had preliminary discussions with that team on releasing Rivers from the last three years of his contract and thus making him available. The Celtics were looking to accelerate the reworking of their roster and seeing what return they could get on all their assets, Rivers included.

If you really want to know how this whole thing came about, check out the article, especially if you were in the "I hate Doc for all this" camp. Paraphrasing Bulpett here, but basically: 1) Doc said that he was going to stay, but only said that in order to attract players to Boston, 2) Doc authorized Danny to approach the Clippers after Danny asked him if any of the available coaching opportunities intrigued him, and 3) there's still a remote chance that Doc returns to the TD Garden sidelines if he doesn't choose to take a sabbatical in broadcasting.

As put off as I am about the disingenious tone of Doc promising that he'd be back for a rebuild, knowing what I know now gives me some peace with the whole situation. It makes sense to me now. Sure, Doc's looking out for himself, but I also believe that he had the franchise's best intentions at heart when he let Ainge talk to the Clippers.

There's also this interesting note in Bulpett's piece: Doc would have control over personnel decisions with the Clips. We had heard that he wanted to coach Eric Bledsoe in LA and requested that he be kept out of the negotiations. Now, with as ugly as things have become over the last few days, I wonder if he'd include him in a trade just to get things done.

Back to top Go down

Doctor's orders: how the Clippers trade started Empty Re: Doctor's orders: how the Clippers trade started

Post by Sam Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:10 am

It's been obvious for some time that Doc and Danny have been acting in concert the whole time.  The crap about Doc's burning bridges was just that—CRAP—and was not consistent with what was obviously going on behind the scenes.  In fact, if Bulpett is right, it was Danny who initially approached Doc to see if he might be interested in coaching the Clippers.  Danny obviously knew from Doc that Doc didn't want to be part of a rebuilding program, so he (Danny) tried to turn it into a strategy that would benefit everyone—Doc, the Celtics and the Clippers.  And Doc was a willing participant in the effort, working hand-in-hand with Danny the whole time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Doctor's orders: how the Clippers trade started Empty Re: Doctor's orders: how the Clippers trade started

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am

If Doc wants D12 he better be willing to part with Bledsoe tongue

I know I have made posts against Rivers, and I'd like to clarify something:

I do not hate Rivers. I don't think he is a bad guy, but I do think he has been disingenuous. Why sign a contract if you have no desire to fulfill it? Why should the team wonder if you're coming back or not? And when I say team, I mainly mean the players that he wants buying into his system year after year. Why buy in when he won't be committed in the long run?

As a coach, I wouldn't consider him at the top. He plays 6-man rotations and doesn't trust his players. What great coach would do that? He selectively criticizes players, which is unfair. Why chew out Jeff Green so much when Pierce is making more turnovers? 

One thing that bothers me is his whole aversion to rebuilding. While I can't blame him for not wanting to, to me, a true coach would love the chance to take a team and mold them into something more instead of shying away from the challenge. Besides, Boston wouldn't be completely rebuilding the team, they'd just be switching out older pieces for younger ones.

People forget that the Eastern Conference could be up for grabs very soon, maybe as soon as next season. With a few personnel changes, Boston would be primed to return to dominance in the East. MIA and IND are the two best teams in the East right now. They are not that far off from Boston, and Boston could even the balance or even surpass them with the right moves.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:21 am

If the article true why is Danny running around like he wants doc to return?

This does not make any sense to me.

Someone please help me understand how danny can want doc back and also want to trade him.

That us the real crap

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 am

Dboss,

Danny's doing that specifically so no bridges will be burned and the way will be paved for Doc to keep coaching the Celtics if that proves the most appropriate option for all concerned..  It's actually pretty logical.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:54 am

dboss,

everything Sam said and more.. Danny does want Doc to coach the Celtics, as has been said all along.

Doc and Danny have had pretty much a 9 yr relationship of understanding, speaking of  contracts, how often does a team sign a contract with a coach and both parties see it through to the end of the length?

Danny has worked with Doc understanding that Doc needs time to unwind after each season, Docs already returned 8 times, and some of those seasons have been extremely stressfull.

Im sure Doc at the time of the most recent contract signing fully understood what would happen down the road, and that at the time he was willing to accept that as part of his job. It would appear that at this time in his life however, that moving forward with a rebuild might be more than than what Doc would like to have to deal with.

There has been nothing coming from Doc saying he does not want to coach the Celtics, or that he wont work with a rebuild. It does seem however that the idea of doing a second rebuild for the Celtics might seem overwhelming at this time.

Danny understands Docs position, and while he would prefer for Doc to remain as the head coach he's moved forwarding trying to create what would be a win-win situation for everyone.. that doesn't mean his #1 prefeance is not having Doc stay..    

This is a smart move by danny...  and helps clean up Docs image, which it seems has undergone some undersved tarnishing in the last couple weeks.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 am

I dont understand when the Celtics fell into the category of "rebuilding project"

To me, that is a team like the Cavs or the Wizards or the Detroit Pistons.

Next season - if the Celtics get Rondo and Sully back at 100%.  AB and Green come back stronger and more confident.  Jet, Lee come back with a better understanding of the playbook etc.  KG returns to lead the defense. 

Pierce agrees to free up some money and restructure...and they go out and sign a free agent PF (Nikola Pekovic ), and a sniper like Kyle Korver - they are right back in the mix.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am

MrK

Yes they can!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:34 am

Yes Danny is good at damage control.

He wants doc so much that he wants to trade him.

It is an intetesting concept...being able to go in opposite directions at the same time. The space time continuim could ruin the planet.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:I dont understand when the Celtics fell into the category of "rebuilding project"

To me, that is a team like the Cavs or the Wizards or the Detroit Pistons.

Next season - if the Celtics get Rondo and Sully back at 100%.  AB and Green come back stronger and more confident.  Jet, Lee come back with a better understanding of the playbook etc.  KG returns to lead the defense. 

Pierce agrees to free up some money and restructure...and they go out and sign a free agent PF (Nikola Pekovic ), and a sniper like Kyle Korver - they are right back in the mix.

MrKleen,

I think you are making an excellent point here.  The perception, with more than a little truth to it, is that our core is old and needs refreshing.  It is natural to take a "a new broom sweeps clean" approach to this and just wipe the deck clear here.  However, we are overlooking the significant issue that we all lived with last season and that is we were ridiculously undermanned due to injuries.  We were the 9th oldest team in the league last year, with a 13 player average of 27-28 years old.  Who were the 8 teams older than us?  NYK, Miami, LAC, LAL, Dallas, Chicago, SAS and Brooklyn.  Chicago was crippled by injuries too but the rest were playoff teams.  As you move down the list and look at the teams younger than us, you see more and more NON-playoff teams.  The moral here?  Old age and trickery will win out over youth and enthusiasm most of the time.   But I already knew that.  http://www.thehardwoodnation.com/2013/02/average-age-of-nba-teams.html  Consider that Rondo, Sully and Barbosa were all on the younger side of 30 years old, with Rondo and Sully being on the younger side of our average, and what does that leave you when you lose them?  The older players, playing heavier minutes, forced to do more.  

I was in NZ and didn't get to watch the playoffs, but I've heard Pierce did not look good.  Consider how he stepped up his rebounding when Sully went down and stepped up his floor generalship when Rondo went down.  No wonder he struggled 2-3 months later, he had been carrying the team all that time.  As a new hole opened up, he changed his game to plug it.  He wasn't a SF, he was a linebacker.  Do we really write a player like that off?  Jeff Green showed us something last year (including his inconsistency) but he didn't become a point forward like Pierce did.  In February, the first full month without Rondo, Sully and Barbosa the Celtics went 8-4, including 2 OT victories (remember the 3OT thriller against Denver?).  Remember how everybody was talking about how the Celtics were better without Rondo, blah, blah, blah?  Whatever happened to those people during the playoffs, anyway?  During that 8-4 run Pierce averaged 7.6rebounds/game and 6.75apg.  His career averages, which include all those years when he was a spry young colt and oh so much better, are 6.3rpg and 4.8apg.  The Captain led.

You have to think that Rondo, Sully and Barbosa wouldn't have positive +/- if they had played (I am NOT a fan of the +/- number for bench players, but you know what I mean.  I'm talking about them having a positive effect on the team's play while they are in) to think that the team we went to war with in the playoffs is the team we are staring at come this November.  I do not consider that to be a reasonable assumption.  Our offense would have been more coherent with Rondo (with frustrating and hopefully only intermittent periods of walk-it-up), our rebounding would have been much better with Sully and Barbosa would have changed the tempo and look of the bench completely with his energy.

I don't know who we'd have to give up to get Pekovic, someone good no doubt, but I'd love to have him.  Korver would solve our shooting woes about 3.2 seconds after he entered his first game in green but short of a sign-and-trade with Atlanta we can't afford him.  They wouldn't take JET or Lee for him, the numbers match up.  Interestingly, most of Atlanta's roster is in their final year of contract.  They only have $18M guaranteed for 2014-2015 (Horford, $12M; Louis Williams, $5.2M; John Jenkins, $1.25M.  $28M including players under option).  Expect a lot of trades by Atlanta this year as other teams want their players in sign-and-trades or for salary dumps.  Next summer is going to be WILD as Atlanta and LAL's rosters come almost completely off the books, putting a lot of veterans into free agency, and the draft next year is supposed to be good.  That should drive down a lot of prices.  Not for us, of course, we'll still get stuck, but for those players.

We need height and beef, we can't expect KG to carry that load by himself and please don't talk to me about Melo.  We also need a legit backup point guard, which you did not address above.  If we can trade Lee and/or JET (not likely to get anybody to take JET off our hands) and maybe throw in our #16 for either of those, we're in good shape since we should be able to pick up the other via free agency.  Lee and #16 for Pekovic leaves us a slot for a gunner, for example.  With that deal, Minny could pick up a good defensive player and real pro and also have a shot at snagging Plumlee, Withey or some other big to replace Pekovic.  Pekovic would fix our beef issue just as fast as Korver would fix our shooting issue and KG could move back to PF, where he wants to be.  Maybe we can keep #16 and fix our b/u pg issue too.

My rambling conclusion is that we are already a lot younger than we were 2 years ago, stand to get younger as we add a draft pick (unlike the previous year where we got lucky Sully dropped but Melo is about what you'd expect from a low 1st rounder, we should be able to get someone who has a chance of sticking in the NBA at #16) and we're already seeing Trader Danny working hard.  What might happen is that he can't get rid of JET until the trading deadline and he only has 1 1/2 years left on his contract.  A team might, might, be willing to pick him up for a playoff surge and then use him the next year for a salary dump in his final contract year.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Stern Always wants to play KINGFISH and grab headlines. the guy is an ass hole .

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Sam,

While I understand the logic of what Danny and Doc are doing, I have some reservations about the potential backfire.

Sure, many fans will be willing to forgive and forget because they love Doc & Danny. But I wonder how the players will respond. Will a healthy Celtics team win 50+ games or will there be 10-12 games where the game slips away in the 4th?

To me, Doc is standing with one foot in the door and one foot out with a briefcase in-hand.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 pm

A coach would have to be crazy to not see the potential this team has.

Yesterday, dboss & I were discussing the possibilities. Imagine this: getting D Jordan and J Smith; we'd be seeing some incredible fast breaks, and each player on the starting 5 would have an athletic advantage against almost every team's starting 5.

Miami won last night, but they have some serious issues to address going forward. Boston really could seize their chance here.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down