WATCH ON CSNE LIVE ON WEB SITE PRESS CONFERENCE 6:30 PM- DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30 - Pierce & Garnett Not allowed To Go To LA Directly for 1 year

5 posters

Go down

WATCH ON CSNE LIVE ON WEB SITE PRESS CONFERENCE 6:30 PM- DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30 - Pierce & Garnett Not allowed To Go To LA Directly for 1 year Empty WATCH ON CSNE LIVE ON WEB SITE PRESS CONFERENCE 6:30 PM- DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30 - Pierce & Garnett Not allowed To Go To LA Directly for 1 year

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm

DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30
06.25.13 at 5:38 pm ET
By WEEI

1 Comment
The Celtics made the conclusion of a long coaching saga official, announcing that the team had permitted Doc Rivers to walk away from the final three years (and $21 million) of his deal to coach the Clippers in exchange for a future first-round pick. Celtics GM Danny Ainge will address the media in a press conference at the team’s practice facility in Waltham at 6:30 p.m.

According to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com (via twitter), the deal prohibits any player trades between the Celtics and Clippers until after the 2013-14 season — something that would prevent the C’s from dealing Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce directly to the Clippers.

Last edited by 112288 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

WATCH ON CSNE LIVE ON WEB SITE PRESS CONFERENCE 6:30 PM- DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30 - Pierce & Garnett Not allowed To Go To LA Directly for 1 year Empty Re: WATCH ON CSNE LIVE ON WEB SITE PRESS CONFERENCE 6:30 PM- DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30 - Pierce & Garnett Not allowed To Go To LA Directly for 1 year

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Such a convenient stipulation...Neutral

Of course by that time, KG and PP would have seen their values decreased even further than they are right now. No one would make a trade for them at that point.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

WATCH ON CSNE LIVE ON WEB SITE PRESS CONFERENCE 6:30 PM- DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30 - Pierce & Garnett Not allowed To Go To LA Directly for 1 year Empty Re: WATCH ON CSNE LIVE ON WEB SITE PRESS CONFERENCE 6:30 PM- DOC RIVERS TO CLIPPERS OFFICIAL; CELTICS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE AT 6:30 - Pierce & Garnett Not allowed To Go To LA Directly for 1 year

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm

DANNY IS BITING HIS TONGUE !  SOUNDS LIKE HE WAS LET DOWN BY DOC!

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:00 pm

ESPN is certainly giving the Celtics lots of air time for a team that was a 7th seed in the playoffs.  What is going on?!  While I like it for the Celtics, I am quite suspicious as to what they are up to.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:58 pm

dBrown,

I think the day Rondo got hurt, which meant he could not be trade during the season and over the summer because of the doubts that his injury healed..............was the day Rivers said he had enough of the Celtics.

I think some players tuned Doc out....could be Rondo who would be at the top of my list....but there may be others as well.

Perhaps Doc lost the team in general with his style of coaching.........but to quit and want to be in another place really hurts. He had a chance to say no never mind over the weekend...........but presented with the temptation again..............he went for the poison fruit and confirms what I said earlier..................

Well Doc has decided up pull up his lobster traps from the Bay State and head to Tinsel Town seeking gold in the Golden State............Well Doc GOOD RIDDANCE ........The way you left has left a smell .....like low tide in one of the tidal estuaries of the North Shore and a stain deeper then a dock hands apron after gutting some Cod.

I am a reasonable person and if the pressures of coaching were getting to you, and you need time to chill out.....I can see you going into broadcasting or just plain relaxing and playing some golf.........But coaching.......with another team...............Leave a team and a city you won a championship with....and were on good terms with ownership all because you do not want to do the heavy lifting and rebuild?

Anyone can coach a team filled with superstars.........and look good.......but it takes a special person to build...win....rebuild again .....and win again!

That is why Phil Jackson will never stand tall in my eyes as a great coach....he never had the task of doing heavy lifting with Chicago or the Lakers............and now Doc neither will you.........

Your just another empty suit ...............filling a coaching position with a team that has been an abject failure since it came into the league...............Doc you may be in the Hollywood spotlight on one side of your body ....but you cast a dark shadow on a great city that embraces hard work..........and most of all loyalty!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:41 pm

What was with the "letter" the Celtics sent Rivers on May 8 or 9 telling him that they expected him to coach the Celtics. Was this the straw that broke the camel's back?  Wyc was quite adamant in an interview a few weeks ago saying that Doc was under contract, period.  Seems Danny did a two step at his press conference. We will never really know the truth, and why bother to try figuring it out.  As Danny said, it will be in his "book" someday.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Rosalie,

This just did not start with Doc on the day the Celtics lost to the Knick's. This has been brewing for some time. I think it could be the old case of its either him or I deal...............the him was Rondo.

As I said the Celtics knew way before May, Doc was looking to pull up anchor and the letter served as a reminder that he was not going anywhere unless on the Celtics terms. 

Danny tone was quite bitter at times in the news conference, and he had to stay positive about Doc...........you know diplomatic ............take the high road..........but it is almost looked like ....excuse the analogy ..............he just caught his wife cheating on him with a friend..............that was my gut take.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Danny just has to act like he's upset. He knew Doc needed to go. I also agree with you that the players were tuning Doc out.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Take in all in with a grain of salt.

We really did not learn much more than was already reported except for the letter to doc.  Some posters have suggested that the Celtics were the ones to approach the Clippers about their interest in Doc.  That is very unlikely and it seems even clearer now that Danny was taken back by the whole affair as well.

I am not mad that Doc left.  I do think he put himself ahead of the team and that is not good.  However, this team needed a new voice, a new direction, a new style of play.

I was surprised that Danny confirmed that he is in no hurry to hire a coach.  That's rather disturbing if you plan to be competitive next year.  How many free agents will be ready to sign with Boston on July 1st with no coach in place?  Very strange unless Danny also believes that this team will hit rock bottom so why go after a high profile coach that will command more money.  I suppose with Doc gone it will help the bottom line particularly since we could very well be in the dreaded luxury tax arena. 

When I look at the current roster this team could be bad but if we get a hit in the draft and parlay Pierce's value to go after a top big man like Al Jefferson and make a few other moves the team could be really good.  It really all depends on what Danny does to retool the team.

Bottom line above all else we need a quality low post player that can score and rebound the basketball.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I do not know why you  are making this into a Rondo thing.  Doc leaving had nothing to do with Rondo.  He wanted to leave because DA was going to move PP and KG.  That's why both were rumored to find their way to LA so they could be with doc.  That's why KG waived his no trade clause.

In the end those guys may never find their way to LA.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 pm

They will if they go to the Lakers!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 pm

In the end, I believe Doc will end up with more than what he bargained for. OKC, SAS, DEN, and MEM all won over 50 games, along with LAC. He will have to face each of these teams 4 times a year. Plus GSW and HOU will be tough teams to contend with.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:23 pm

dBoss,

Check out Red's Army post below and it will confirm what already has been posted over the weekend. Personally I thought Doc's coaching style was getting a little stale...............especially going small.........or not giving a young player some rope to either rope more minutes or hang himself. But I think Doc saw Chris Paul and said...........Wow another top point guard I can coach without a mouth!

Danny Ainge makes it clear that Doc Rivers wanted out
Chuck - Red's ArmyJune 25, 2013 Celtics News

Danny Ainge addressed the media tonight for the first time since the Doc drama hit the fan.

While it’s obvious that Danny and Doc share a strong friendship, Ainge made it clear that the decision to leave Boston for Los Angeles originated with Rivers.  Ainge reiterated this point by saying he wanted Doc to be the next Red Auerbach.

What else did we learn?

Ainge hasn’t spoken to any coaching candidates and will not coach this team.

1) No decision has been reached on the future of Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce

2) Ainge essentially confirmed the report of an altercation between Rajon Rondo and Doc by saying it happened 2 years ago. He insisted that Rondo had no impact on Doc’s departure.

YA RIGHT! DANNY STILL HAS TO LIVE WITH RONDO UNTIL HE UNLOADS HIM IN AN INDUSTRIAL WASTE AREA LIKE A SOPRANO HIT!

3) Confirmed the league’s ruling that the Clippers and Celtics cannot make another trade in the 2013-14 season

Wyc Grousbeck was not present at this press conference. He should have been there. Team president Rich Gotham offers nothing.

Doc Rivers also issued his first public comments, courtesy Jackie MacMullen:

“I always knew when I took the job with Boston that I would love the Celtics,” said Rivers, in his first public comments since he entered negotiations with the Clippers. “I knew I would love the tradition and the players. But I had no idea how much I would fall in love with the city and the people in it. Honestly, I get emotional thinking about it. I will cherish every single moment I had in Boston.”

He knows what his sudden detractors, who feel betrayed by his actions, are thinking: If he loved it so much, then why did he leave?
“It was just time,” Rivers answered. “I really don’t think it would be fair to get into all of that right now. I made a decision to talk with all of the Boston media following my press conference with the Clippers (on Wednesday), and I will honor that.

“I’ll explain it to everyone then. But to say I was dying to get out of Boston, dying to leave the Celtics is just wrong. That’s not how it was. That’s not how I felt.”

Ainge insists that Doc didn’t quit on this team and said he’ll give him a standing ovation upon his return.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Doc just wants to do things the easier way. Why build a team? Who does that crap anymore?
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down