Sources: Howard Unlikely to re-sign with Lakers

5 posters

Go down

Sources:  Howard Unlikely to re-sign with Lakers Empty Sources: Howard Unlikely to re-sign with Lakers

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm not posting this to tweak TJ. It's all over the wires today, it's hard to ignore it, and will play itself out, for real, sometime in the first week of July, I'm sure. This could all be BS and Howard will re-sign with the Lakers. I'm posting this, and I'm hoping we can keep it along these lines, of pointing out the dangers of trading for a superstar in the final year of their contract and assuming that means you're golden. The same little drama happened on the other side of town with the Clippers and Chris Paul (in fact, until he re-signs with them, it's still going on). They got him and then had to kiss his ass to bring in the coach he wants and who knows what demand is coming next?

We were in a similar spot with Jeff Green. Fortunately, he re-signed but Krstic didn't. To be honest, if the Celtics organization hadn't made such a positive impression on Green during his medical crisis, and if he wasn't so smitten with Doc, he might not have re-signed either and then where would we be?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sources:  Howard Unlikely to re-sign with Lakers Empty Re: Sources: Howard Unlikely to re-sign with Lakers

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Bob,

This is not tweaking me, this is a legit news story.
I expect that Dwight will sign with Houston.
I am not devastated by this.
To me, he has a little A-Rod in him.
Not a team guy, not a winner. Sulks and complains.

I would like to get back Asik and Thomas Robinson for him.
I think Houston would be willing to do that as then will then have more money under the cap to sign another significant player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Sources:  Howard Unlikely to re-sign with Lakers Empty Re: Sources: Howard Unlikely to re-sign with Lakers

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Only reason for him to stay is $$$

But if he is willing to take less I can easily see him leaving.

As much as we may lament over the Celtics, the lakers are in bad shape

Kobe is coming off a major injury and him and Howard are not exactly seeing eye to eye
Artest wants to collect his money again
gasol is over the hill
The PG sucks
The coach is not the right type for this team
And little jerry has not a clue

Yes he could easily walk.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi,
I just read on Yahoo that Nets want KG+PP for Humphries, Wallace and Shengelia.
Could these be related as in Celtics clearing space for DH?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:03 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I just read on Yahoo that Nets want KG+PP for Humphries, Wallace and Shengelia.
Could these be related as in Celtics clearing space for DH?

AK

sinus,

How can this be clearing cap space if the sum of all the salaries on one side are within 25% of the sum of all salaries on the other side?

KG - $12M
PP - $15M
        $27m

KH - $12M
GW - $10.1M
TS - $789K
       $23M

$23M X 1.25 = 28.75.

$27M is less than 125% of $23M, so it flies but it doesn't save us that much cap space.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm

dboss wrote:Only reason for him to stay is $$$

But if he is willing to take less I can easily see him leaving.

As much as we may lament over the Celtics, the lakers are in bad shape

Kobe is coming off a major injury and him and Howard are not exactly seeing eye to eye
Artest wants to collect his money again
gasol is over the hill
The PG sucks
The coach is not the right type for this team
And little jerry has not a clue

Yes he could easily walk.

dboss

Without a state tax in TX, the difference in income is not as much as people think it is.
CA has a very high "millionaire's tax".

The Lakers roster is a mess.
They need to accept that 2013-14 will not be their year.
After next year Gasol, Blake, MWP, Kobe and Hill come off of the books.
Priority #1 should be to not take on any bad salaries.
Priority #2 should be to get younger and more athletic.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm reading that the deal is for KG and PP for Humphries, Gerald Wallace, Shengilia and 3  future first round picks.

That sounds too good to be true, to me. NOT a fan of Wallace. Humphries will fix our rebounding problem. I like what I've seen of Shengelia, he's raw but has a motor. The 1st round picks, though, now that's building material!

On the other hand, Bill Simmons is saying that this deal is so bad for the Celtics, that Doc Rivers quit again.  

Mark Flannery says that for 3 years of Gerald Wallace @ $10M/year, he'd want all the draft picks, ever.

Andrew Perna says "the Celtics are supposed to be retooling, not adding tools".

Sean Highkin says that Gerald Wallace is the type of player Celtic fans would love 2 concussions and 2 contracts ago.

Nice to see humor in this.

Deal couldn't get done until the moratorium is over, 7/10.

See what happens when you let Trader Danny off the leash? Trigger happy doesn't begin to describe it. Funny thing, I sense it was the loss of Doc that really crystallized his motivation to make the big moves.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Bobh,
Agree with your math. But why would Celtics need so many forwards and no center?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:48 pm

sinus007 wrote:Bobh,
Agree with your math. But why would Celtics need so many forwards and no center?

AK

sinus,

We don't.

I've got one foot on the platform and one on the train on this.

One one hand, I agree with MrKleen with his appraisal that we don't need a full rebuild if Rondo and Sully come back strong, we're only a player or two away.

One the other hand, we can get something for these guys this year and maybe not next year (definitely not Pierce).

Nobody better drop a banana peel...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Sinus

Do you think DH would sign on to a team that did not have a coach?  maybe DA will ask him.  Who would you recommend to coach you?

DH has never played with a top shelf PG.  Rondo would be a good fit.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Bob, Superb Eric Burdon reference!

TJ, Astute accounting observation regarding the TX/CA income tax disparity - 10% iof all one's income.

Dboss, Thanks for the Laker perspective. Now I don't feel so badly about the Patriots having no tight ends. ...OK Bob, I just opened the door for numerous double entendre jokes.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:18 pm

With the right coach (General George Patton), I'd love to see DH and RR play together.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Dboss,
I'm not a big fan of DH in green. Actually, I'm very much against it. I just mentioned those rumors together because I couldn't understand why would Celtics go for Nets trade unless there's some kind of step #2 that'd bring a decent (at least) 5 to Boston.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down