DRAFT DAY - WHAT WE GOT

2 posters

Go down

DRAFT DAY - WHAT WE GOT Empty DRAFT DAY - WHAT WE GOT

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 am

DRAFT DAY NETS 2 PLAYERS

Rapid Reaction: C's move up to get Olynyk

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics shuffled up to No. 13 to grab Gonzaga 7-footer Kelly Olynyk after a trade with the Dallas Mavericks. Boston sent its No. 16 pick and two future second-round draft picks to the Mavericks to move up.

Olynyk averaged 17.8 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks over 26.4 minutes per game during his junior season at Gonzaga. But it's his advanced metrics that really raised eyebrows. According to Synergy Sports data, Olynyk averaged 1.131 points per play, ranking in the 95th percentile among all Division 1 players. A whopping 21.6 percent of his plays came in the post and he averaged 1.067 points per play (93rd percentile). For a Boston team that craves size and scoring ability, Olynyk appears to fit a need (regardless of how the roster looks next season). His 36.57 Player Efficiency Rating (PER) led the nation this past season.

It's on the defensive end where he'll need a Celtics immersion. Olynyk allowed 0.818 points per play and ranked merely in the 54th percentile. Opponents took advantage of his lack of strength in the post, and he needs to be a better rebounder.

The Celtics selected Brazilian center Lucas Nogueira for the Mavericks, who were expected to send him on to Atlanta in a separate trade.

The ESPN Insider breakdown on Olynyk's strengths and weaknesses:
Positives
* Big man with versatile game
* Can score with his back to the basket
* Solid perimeter game with 3-point range
* Very efficient scorer
* Good motor, especially on the offensive end

Negatives
* Needs to add strength/toughness
* Mediocre rebounder/shot-blocker
* Can be turnover prone

C's buy 2nd-round pick (Colton Iverson)

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

The Celtics bought a second-round pick: Colton Iverson.
Lost in the shuffle on draft night -- hijacked by the the Celtics and Nets blockbuster trade -- is that Boston quietly bought a second-round pick and selected Colorado State 7-footer Colton Iverson with the 53rd pick overall.

The Celtics will likely send cash considerations to Indiana in exchange for the pick.

The ESPN Insider breakdown:
Positives
* Big space eater
* Solid scorer in the post
* Good rebounder

Negatives
* Not an elite athlete
* Old for his class

Colton Iverson | C | Colorado State

HT: 7'0" | WT: 263 | AGE: 23
Stats: 14.2 PPG, 59.6 FG%, 9.8 RPG, 1.3 APG, 0.7 BPG

Analysis

Colton Iverson had a lot of success in college because he is absolutely massive. Standing at 7'0" and weighing in at 263 pounds, Iverson will immediately have the body and strength to compete in the NBA. He only has very basic most moves, so what worked in college won't exactly translate right away to the NBA. Either way, a late second round pick in a pretty weak draft isn't supposed to net you the next Shaquille O'Neal. Iverson is a guy that can be your fifth offensive weapon on the floor and occasionally get second chance opportunities with dunks.

Iverson's potential is on the defensive end, where he has the body and size to match up with any center in the NBA. Colton isn't quick footed enough to play effectively in the pick-and-roll and he isn't talented enough to block many shots, but he has a very high basketball I.Q. and in the limited footage I have watched from him, he seems to move and rotate very well defensively. After a shot is taken, he immediately boxes up and cleans up the boards.

Opinion

I don't know if this move bodes well for the likes of Shavlik Randolph. The again, the Celtics roster is so depleted so both players could end up having a spot on the team. When I first watched Iverson, he reminded me a little bit of Kendrick Perkins defensively. He isn't much of a shot blocker but he's a very intelligent player and plays very good defense in the post. In the NCAA tournament I thought he held his own against Louisville's Gorgui Dieng, a guy I regard as the third best center in this draft class.

Danny Ainge probably wanted to bring in Colton because he's a guy that had a lot of success in college and he came at a very low cost. Iverson might not make the final roster but he's a body to bring into camp that might pan out. I like the move a lot, though I would have preferred to see the team bring in one of the guards or forwards left on the board.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Boston Celtics made a move late in the draft, sending cash to the Indiana Pacers for the 53rd pick. The Boston Celtics then selected Colton Iverson, a center out of Colorado State. The C's have also signed undrafted free agent Lamont Jones, a point guard out of Iona.

Lamont "Momo" Jones | G | Iona

HT: 6'0" | WT: 196 | AGE: 23
Stats: 22.6 PPG, 49.6 2PT%, 31.5 3PT%, 3.4 APG, 3.4 TO

There isn't a lot out there about Lamont Jones, but from what I can digest watching only a few videos online, he seems like more of a shooting guard than a point guard. He lacks a lot of the orchestrating abilities you look for in a point guard, but he has the abilities to be a scoring spark off the bench. He has a very fast and compact dribble, a valuable asset to have in the NBA. Since he had 3.4 turnovers per game, I would assume that the majority of his turnovers came from a lack of good passing instincts and not a loose handle on his dribble.

I doubt Lamont Jones makes the team considering the Celtics have so many guards on the roster, but he seems like a good guy to bring in for the summer league. He seems to play with a lot of energy and could be a guy that pushes other players to get better since he is so offensive-orientated.

Back to top Go down

DRAFT DAY - WHAT WE GOT Empty Re: DRAFT DAY - WHAT WE GOT

Post by Outside Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:46 am

Okay, ever so unsatisfyingly, they addressed needs at center and backup point guard with Iverson and Jones.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down