Two Celtics rookies are on the Rookie Ladder

5 posters

Go down

Two Celtics rookies are on the Rookie Ladder Empty Two Celtics rookies are on the Rookie Ladder

Post by gyso Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Kelly Olynyk (1) and Phil Pressey (10) have made the list so far.  

Drew Packham of NBA.com wrote:Olynyk Leads Crop

It's been just over two months since Damian Lillard ran away with the 2013 Kia Rookie of the Year, and we've already got a new crop of rookies to rank.

And while this rookie class has come with its skeptics, after just three days of action in Orlando, we're already seeing some real gems.

At the top of the list so far -- by a long shot -- has been Boston's Kelly Olynyk, who has shown off a plethora of moves on his way to averaging 19.7 points and 7.3 rebounds in three games. He's been dominant offensively, knocking down outside shots while still holding his own inside with baby hooks, up-and-under moves and an ability to handle the ball.

The Celtics made a Draft night trade to land the big man out of Gonzaga, and he looks like a keeper from what we've seen so far in Orlando.

-- Drew Packham

Just missed the cut: Romero Osby (ORL), Khalif Wyatt (PHI)

Note: I'll be in Las Vegas to cover all the Summer League action there, updating the Ladder nightly and contributing to the Hang Time Blog as well.

http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

The Las Vegas SL is just getting under way, so these ratings will change.  It is nice to see that two of our guys made it in the top 10 of the rookie ladder, deep into the Orlando SL.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Two Celtics rookies are on the Rookie Ladder Empty Re: Two Celtics rookies are on the Rookie Ladder

Post by Outside Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 pm

As nice as it is to see Olynyk do well, it's just summer league. As I heard someone say somewhere, summer league doesn't prove whether a guy is a legit NBA player, but it can prove that someone doesn't make the grade.

The real test of course is actual NBA play. While a similar rating of last year's summer league had eventual rookie of the year Damion Lillard as the best player, the top 10 also included Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas, John Henson, John Jenkins, Terrence Ross, and Jae Crowder, none of whom were anything notable last year and none of whom collected even a single point in rookie of the year voting.

While I think Olynyk will be a productive NBA player, and it's great that two Celtics made the top 10 list, it is just summer league.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Two Celtics rookies are on the Rookie Ladder Empty Re: Two Celtics rookies are on the Rookie Ladder

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 am

Only knock I have on Kelly so far, is every time he has been met with physical resistance in a game, he has wilted a bit. As soon as NBA vets see this - they will go right at him.

He needs to find the keys to the weight room, and find that mean streak he had at Gonzaga. Otherwise, he looks like a great pick.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:10 am

Here are some interesting comments about KO from Mchale, at this point I'll take all I can read!:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/07/an_expert_s_analysis
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:51 am

pete wrote:Here are some interesting comments about KO from Mchale, at this point I'll take all I can read!:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/07/an_expert_s_analysis

pete,

Nice. Thanks. Yeah, I like what McHale had to say about NBA spacing vs NCAA and how it will help KO too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Final, post-Las Vegas Rookie Ladder:

http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

Leaving Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS, July 22 -- Before Las Vegas started, I wrote that it would take something special for someone to pass up Kelly Olynyk for the top rung.

Well, Las Vegas came and went, and the Celtics' top rookie remains in the top spot. While more eyes may have been on the games in Las Vegas (due to later start times and actual crowds at the games in Orlando), what the rookie out of Gonzaga did in his five games stands out.

Final Rankings
1 --  Kelly Olynyk  
2 --  Cody Zeller  
3 --  C.J. McCollum  
4 --  Victor Oladipo  
5 --  Jack Cooley  
6 --  Reggie Bullock  
7 --  Michael Carter-Williams  
8 --  Kentavious Caldwell-Pope  
9 --  Ben McLemore  
10 -- Ray McCallum  

Olynyk averaged 18.0 ppg (most in Orlando) and 7.8 rpg, while hitting 58 percent of his shots. From Day 1, in which he broke out for 25 points, the 7-footer showed an ability to score in a variety of ways. When opponents put a bigger, slower defender on him, he stepped out and hit the midrange jumper. When the defender decided to step out to stop the shot, Olynyk used a quick first step and variety of moves -- up-and-under, baby hooks across the lane -- to get his buckets.

It was an impressive performance and the Celtics have to be pleased with the crop of young talent they now have in their frontcourt. It was at the same tournament last year that Jared Sullinger opened eyes by averaging 13.8 ppg and 8.3 rpg and went on to have a respectable rookie season (6.0 points and 5.9 rebounds in 19.8 minutes per game) that was eventually cut short by injury.

Olynyk may not carry his play into a run at Rookie of the Year, but for now, he sits as the top dog of the Summer.

Honorable Mentions

Cody Zeller, Bobcats: Zeller looked like one of the most polished and NBA-ready players in Las Vegas. In four games, Zeller dominated inside, banging hard every game and controlling the boards to the tune of 9.3 rpg (first among rookies) to go along with 16.3 ppg. He showed nice touch from the outside and should be able to chip in from Day 1 in the frontcourt either backing up or playing alongside new acquisition Al Jefferson.

Victor Oladipo, Magic: The No. 2 pick looked like the real deal while transitioning to the point guard position. Oladipo, who primarily played off the ball at Indiana, averaged 19.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg and 5.0 apg (albeit against 4.8 TOs) in four games. He also knocked down a memorable game-winner and should be considered a front-runner for ROY, especially considering he'll see a lot of playing time right away.

C.J. McCollum, Trail Blazers: McCollum proved in Las Vegas that he can score, leading all rookies at 21.0 ppg. He also averaged 4.0 rpg and 3.4 apg in his four games and looked good running things for the Blazers. He'll probably play more off the ball in the season, possibly pairing with Damian Lillard at times, making for one of the younger, more exciting backcourts in the League. When I asked him about playing off the ball or running the point, McCollum said, "I'm a chameleon." It might be hard for "The Chameleon" to see much playing time so a Rookie of the Year run might be a longshot, but he could be a nice option for the Blazers off the bench.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down