Pressey a Lock for Vet Camp

2 posters

Go down

Pressey a Lock for Vet Camp Empty Pressey a Lock for Vet Camp

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 pm

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/pressey-already-locked-spot-celtics-camp

Pressey already locked up spot in Celtics camp
July 10, 2013, 4:45 pm

ORLANDO, Fla. — For the non first-round picks on the Celtics summer league team, the ultimate goal is to get an invite to training camp.

Danny Ainge tells CSNNE.com that there are a handful of players that are still under consideration, but there's only one from the non-guaranteed contract cartel who already has an invite locked up: Phil Pressey.

The 5-foot-11 guard has been among the Celtics' best players throughout the summer league session, doing more than enough in the eyes of Ainge to secure a training camp invite. In Boston's 85-78 loss to Houston on Wednesday, Pressey had six points and 10 assists.

"Yes I do anticipate him being in training camp," Ainge said. "Phil has played really well. He's been fun to watch."

And while the Celtics' roster remains unsettled, there's no mistaking the C's need for a backup point guard.

Terrence Williams played some in that role last season, but the C's opted to waive him. There's a chance that he may be re-signed at a later date, but it's clear that the Celtics want to take a long and hard look at Pressey whose father, Paul, was an 11-year NBA veteran and former assistant coach for the Celtics.

Pressey told CSNNE.com that the C's were the only team he gave any thought to playing for after he went undrafted in last month's NBA draft.

The feeling was mutual when Ainge called him just minutes after the draft had ended.

Throughout the draft, Pressey had the understanding that the C's were trying to acquire a second, second-round pick to use on drafting him. Boston bought Indiana's second-round pick, No. 53 overall, and used it to select center Colton Iverson.

Phil's dad was pleased not only that his son has a chance to play for Boston, but the waiting time for him to connect with a team after the draft was short.

"It doesn't give you a chance to marinate on it too much," Paul Pressey told CSNNE.com. "Boston has seen him since he was in the eighth grade, and seen him in high school for three years. They already knew him as a kid. They knew he was a talented kid. The next question for them is, can you make that adjustment from college to the pros and keep that same skill level and be productive. It's gonna take time. But they have the confidence that he can do that, and that's why they signed him."

Multiple conversations with Ainge has convinced Pressey that the C's president of basketball operations is confident that he can indeed play at this level, potentially for the Celtics.

He's confident in me and he believes I can be a good player," Pressey said. "Going into the draft, I knew I was on their radar."

And now that he will be in training camp, Pressey will have an opportunity to make his way into the NBA with the one franchise he knows well.

"I'm blessed that Danny Ainge and the staff are giving me a chance to play," Pressey said.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pressey a Lock for Vet Camp Empty Re: Pressey a Lock for Vet Camp

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 am

Good kid...hard worker...and a true PG. Might only ever been a back up, but we havent have a good back in since who knows when (Sam Cassell maybe) - so I welcome his chance to make the team.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down