Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey?

5 posters

Go down

Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey? Empty Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey?

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:42 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706093/cs-looking-to-lock-up-pressey

C's looking to lock up Pressey?
July, 14, 2013
JUL 14 8:00AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

No other player on the Celtics summer squad not named Kelly Olynyk had a better showing in Orlando than Phil Pressey. The pint-sized point guard handed out a team-best 33 assists (6.6 per game), showed quality range (scored 15 points on 14 jumpers beyond 17 feet), and played excellent defense (allowing a mere 0.654 points per play, according to Synergy Sports data). He quietly earned a spot as an honorable mention on the all-tournament team (the only Boston player on the list beyond Olynyk, a first-teamer).

Now ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman notes the Celtics might be trying to lock Pressey up:

Jeff Goodman        ✔ @GoodmanESPN

Former Missouri point guard Phil Pressey and Boston Celtics working on a one-year deal, sources told ESPN.
4:38 PM - 13 Jul 2013

Pressey had played his way into a training camp invite, but the undrafted guard might have been impressive enough that he caught the eye of other teams. In need of a backup ball-handler -- as evidenced last season when Rajon Rondo went down -- the Celtics could benefit from a low-cost (the minimum first-year salary is a mere $490,180) floor general who has potential to further blossom on a young roster.

The trickle-down effect? Boston already has 15 signed players at the moment, and that doesn't include second-round draft pick Colton Iverson. The Celtics have more shuffling to do to trim salary and give themselves more roster flexibility moving forward. But signing Pressey with options for future seasons is a low-risk move at a position of need.

THIS IS AN ARTICLE ABOUT PRESSEY FROM FORSBERG DATED 7/9/13, DURING SUMMER LEAGUE.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9461782/phil-pressey-confident-land-spot-boston-celtics

Phil Pressey full of confidence
Although he wasn't drafted, the point guard likes chances he'll stick with Celtics
Updated: July 9, 2013, 1:04 AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

ORLANDO -- For 60 selections, he waited for his phone to ring, and even when last month's NBA draft ended, Phil Pressey was certain that call would come.

Pressey knew there was a very real chance he wouldn't be picked when he elected to forgo his senior season at Missouri in April to enter the draft. But given his connection to the Boston Celtics' franchise and a strong pre-draft workout in Boston in late May, he remained confident he'd have at least one opportunity to earn an NBA job.

Sure enough, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge phoned moments after the draft with an invite to join Boston's summer league squad in Orlando.

Phil Pressey's connection with the Celtics goes back to when his dad, Paul, coached with Doc Rivers.

"I talked to Danny Ainge [after the draft], who said they were really into bigs in this draft, and they couldn't get another pick," Pressey said. Boston traded up to the 13th pick to select 7-foot forward Kelly Olynyk, then bought a second-round pick to land 7-footer Colton Iverson.

Generously listed at 5-foot-11, Pressey is a high-energy playmaker who compensates for his lack of size with defensive tenacity. His father, Paul, served on Doc Rivers' staff from 2004-07 and Pressey spent his early high school years in the Boston area when the family lived in Waltham, Mass.

Now, Pressey hopes the summer league will be his ticket back to the region. The Celtics are thin on backup ball handlers, which was made obvious last season after Rajon Rondo's season-ending ACL tear, and Pressey would provide a low-cost option with plenty of upside.

During Tuesday's 93-63 throttling of the Detroit Pistons, Pressey started at the point and finished with 12 points on 5-of-9 shooting with four assists over 25 minutes.

"Right when I got the job, I sent a text message out that night, and [Pressey] called me within a minute after I sent him a text," new Celtics coach Brad Stevens said.

"I like Phil. There are some things that Phil can certainly get better at. He will; he will work hard to do it."

Let's start with the positives: Pressey is a pass-first guard whose speed helps create cracks in the opposing defense and allows him to get out front in transition. He's also supremely confident in his abilities, as his bold decision to leave Missouri showed.

Pressey felt he had an excellent workout in Boston against some other top guard prospects (including Miami's Shane Larkin, who went 18th in the draft, and Baylor's Pierre Jackson, who went 42nd). His relationship with Ainge dates back to the days he'd visit the HealthPoint gymnasium with his father, and Pressey confidently boasts now, "Danny Ainge loves the way I play. He just wants me to go out there and do what I did in college."

The negatives? Pressey knows he has to limit his turnovers after giving the ball away nine times in the first two games of summer league. The disorganized nature and patchwork rosters haven't helped his cause, but Pressey knows he's been too erratic thus far.

Heck, one no-look pass caromed off this reporter's laptop on press row on Sunday (to be fair, we were wide open), and Pressey understands that better ball security could increase his job security.

"All of this is new to a lot of these players out here; the speed of the game is a lot faster, guys are a lot faster and a lot more athletic. It's going to take a game or two to really get adjusted to this," Pressey said. "Just playing more and getting a more comfortable feel for the NBA style is only going to help me out."

Pressey played NBA-caliber defense on Monday, making things tough on Pistons second-round draftee Peyton Siva, which helped Boston open a 21-point lead early on and cruise to a 30-point triumph. Despite being undersized, Pressey has the speed to harass most ball handlers.

Assistant coach Jay Larranaga, who is running the summer league squad and led the Celtics' pre-draft workouts, wants to see Pressey find more consistency.

"He's shown me what I saw [during his pre-draft visit] and I really liked his workout," Larranaga said. "He competes, he's athletic, he defends, he creates for his teammates, he can make shots. Those young guys, you have to become more consistent in all that, you have to stay disciplined and learn NBA defensive rules and flow of the NBA game. But I think he's playing really well.

"Phil's going to compete, there's no question about that. I think he has the size and speed and toughness to compete with a lot of the guards in the NBA. But that is a question that people will have -- if he can show it on a daily basis. He plays with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, and it's fun to watch."

The Celtics have made no promises to Pressey beyond summer league and, with a roster that will be at overflow capacity once a pending trade with the Brooklyn Nets is consummated later this month, roster spots could be at a premium.

But Boston could sure use a guy like Pressey, and he's hoping to force the issue. It would seem likely that, if he's still available, Pressey would be a prime candidate to compete for a guaranteed roster spot at training camp in late September.

"[Summer league is] a great opportunity for me to show what I can do," Pressey said. "I like my chances" to eventually make the roster.

bob
MY NOTE:  Pressey looked very good in summer league.  His defense was pitbull-like full court every minute of every game.  His shots went down and he showed decent selection.  He didn't run a very good point guard the first 2 games but played very good point, getting 10 assists/game in the last few and never more than 5 TOs.  5 TOs is a lot, but I'm ok given the 10 assists and especially given he had only played with his teammates and within Larranagga's system, for a week.  Danny must feel VERY confident he'll be able to move a couple of contracts if he's signing contracts with Pressey and Faverani.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey? Empty Re: Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey?

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Joseph and Randolph will be gone, too bad I like Shav....unless Ainge can make a move?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey? Empty Re: Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey?

Post by sinus007 Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi,
I'd keep Pressey - he showed a lot of potentials and he's young. Also, I don't see many PGs on the roster.
OTOH, there'll be a lot of shuffling of the players this year - so let see who stays and who goes.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 pm

It's not difficult to envision a backcourt of Pressey and Bradley as "shock troops" disrupting an opponent's run or fueling a Celtics run of their own—a la the Jones Boys. The Boston guard corps is not exactly top-heavy with natural scorers, so his presence at both ends of the floor would be welcome.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtics Looking To Lock Up Pressey? Empty Celtics agree to multiyear deal with Missouri's Pressey

Post by gyso Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:40 am

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2013/07/source_celtics_agree_to_multiyear_deal_with_missouris_presse.html?camp=rss:celtics&dlvrit=834394

Gary Washburn Globe Staff wrote:LAS VEGAS -- Point guard Phil Pressey was impressive for the Celtics in their stretch of games at the Orlando Summer Pro League and that production has garnered him a multiyear contract, according to a league source. The source said the contract includes guarantees.

Pressey, a 5-foot, 11-inch guard who went undrafted out of the University of Missouri, signed with the Celtics following the draft and flourished in Orlando, averaging 9.4 points and 6.6 assists in 23 minutes per game. The Celtics have been seeking a true reserve point guard for years and appear to have decided on Pressey, who played at Waltham High while his father Paul was an assistant with the Celtics.

The Celtics indicated during the summer session that Pressey would be invited to camp and the two sides have been working on a deal the past two weeks. Celtics coach Brad Stevens expressed his admiration for Pressey last week in Orlando.

“I like Phil, I like Phil,” Stevens said. "There are some things that Phil can certainly get better at. He’ll work hard to do it. Right when I got the job, I sent him a text message that night and he called me about a minute after I sent the text and I think he really wants to be good. He’s very dynamic with the ball and I think if he continues to do that and make shots, he’s going to be in good shape.”

Pressey's signing leaves the Celtics with 17 players with the expected addition of Brazilian center Vitor Faverani. Team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said he will make more roster changes throughout the summer.

The Celtics have a new PP!!  Is Paul Pressey our first true backup PG since Marbury?

Multi-year contract?  I am interested as to how it is structured.  He was undrafted, it may be unguaranteed in the subsequent years, maybe he can be dropped in January if he doesn't pan out, like Kris Joseph was last year.  Time will tell.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:40 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706259/presseys-contract-in-focus

Indispensable salary site ShamSports.com updated Friday with details of Phil Pressey's contract with the Boston Celtics. Of note:

* The first season is fully guaranteed, all but assuring that Pressey will make the opening day roster unless the hard-capped Celtics eat his $490,180 rookie salary (an unlikely scenario). Given the uncertainty of whether Rajon Rondo will be ready for opening night, it makes sense for Boston to have another pure ball-handler on its roster.

* Both years 2 and 3 of the contract are nonguaranteed, becoming fully guaranteed if Pressey is not waived on or before July 15 of each offseason. Boston essentially gives itself until the end of summer league to make a decision on Pressey in future seasons.

That's a quality deal for an undrafted player. While some second-round picks face uncertain futures -- the Celtics' own second-round pick, Colton Iverson, appears headed overseas, while others will ink nonguaranteed deals that will leave them exposed before contracts become guaranteed in early January -- Pressey used a strong pro debut at the Orlando Summer League to earn a tiny bit of first-year security. Now he'll get a chance to prove himself at the NBA level and his role could be big out of the gates if Rondo is not ready at the start of the season.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down