Improvement on Lee's Mind

3 posters

Go down

Improvement on Lee's Mind Empty Improvement on Lee's Mind

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:47 am

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/07/27/doc-rivers-diving-into-his-work-with-clippers/NusES3c1xLCBpHLonWib7I/story.html

Improvement on Lee’s mind

There are only two non-rookies on the Celtics with contracts past the 2014-15 season, Jeff Green and Courtney Lee. Lee is coming off an admittedly disappointing season, when he was supposed to replace Ray Allen as the starting shooting guard and instead was relegated to the bench by Doc Rivers, and played a bit part in the playoff series against the Knicks.

The Celtics sacrificed a lot to get Lee, agreeing to a four-year contract, as well as moving former first-round pick JaJuan Johnson, improving guard E’Twaun Moore, and ex-Boston College center Sean Williams. After averaging a career-low 7.8 points per game and shooting 37.2 percent from the 3-point arc after being at least 40 percent the previous two seasons, Lee said he is ready to atone. He also said he is not bothered by the changes the Celtics have made.

“Change is good. It was a busy summer so far, and we’re still going to have a group of guys who are going to go out there and compete,” Lee said. “That’s all you can ask for. A lot of people are writing us off, but that’s only going to motivate us. Even with the injuries this past season, a lot of people were like, ‘There’s no way they can make the playoffs,’ and we just went out there and just played for each other and played hard and made a run at it.”

Lee was personally recruited by Rivers to come to the Celtics. That led to a sign-and-trade deal with the Rockets, who were clearing salary-cap space to make their first run at Dwight Howard.

“Danny [Ainge] did a good job getting a coach with a winning track record,” Lee said of Brad Stevens. “He knows what it takes to win, been in a situation where he’s changed a program, and hopefully he can come in and do that with us.”

Lee said he took no time off following the playoffs, and has been working to regain his offensive touch. Lee never got comfortable last season with his changing roles. Rivers lost confidence in Lee as a starter, moved Jason Terry into the starting lineup, and Lee’s playing time fluctuated. He averaged less than 10 minutes per game and did not play in two of the six playoff games.

“The only way to correct having an up-and-down season is hard work,” Lee said. “I have been getting my shot back, a lot of shooting. There was a lot of inconsistency last year as far as roles, not knowing when I was going in or coming out, or with myself, I wasn’t playing at the level I was capable of and I was used to playing at.”

There could be more roster changes before the season begins, but as of now, the Celtics believe they have a playoff-caliber team with Rondo, Green, Lee, Kris Humphries, Jared Sullinger, Keith Bogans, and Gerald Wallace.

“We have a team of scrappers that compete every night. Nobody is into themselves, everybody is going to be for the team and we’re going to go out there and just play,” Lee said. “When you do that, everything will fall into place. People are writing us off. They consider us being an underdog in every situation we go into, so that’s going to work for us when we come out there and when we start winning games. I think that’s going to change.”

Lee said he can see the improvement in his game and increase in his confidence. Without championship aspirations for the team, Lee will enter this season without the pressure of having to replace a future Hall of Famer.

“Everybody on the team is going to have a chance to step up,” Lee said. “With everybody’s offseason work, it’s definitely going to help us this year. I think we’re going to approach this season with a fresh attitude.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Improvement on Lee's Mind Empty Re: Improvement on Lee's Mind

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:49 pm

didn't know what his role was, eh? guess mebbe that was why Doc's teams didn't perform better. guess mebbe it wasn't all baby's fault. guess mebbe we might be seeing the beginning of the real reason Doc isn't here anymore. just guessin' mebbe

mulcogi
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Bob,

It would be difficult to pinpoint a member of last season's team who suffered from discontinuity as greatly as Courtney Lee. It seemed almost as though, every time he took a three or went to the hoop made a pass, or made a defensive play, one could see his mind thinking, "Hey, I'm gonna try this. Maybe it will please doc." I believe Brad Stevens will do a good job of matching roles to skills and will inject more motion into the Celtics' half-court offense, thus putting players in optimum positions to succeed; and that should help Lee as much as anyone.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down