Danny Ainge Looks Within For Improvement

2 posters

Go down

Danny Ainge Looks Within For Improvement Empty Danny Ainge Looks Within For Improvement

Post by bobheckler Mon May 19, 2014 3:01 pm

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/05/danny_ainge_looks_within_for_improvement

Danny Ainge looks within for improvement

Sunday, May 18, 2014
By:  Steve Bulpett

CHICAGO ­— After two days of watching guys in a gym here at the NBA draft combine, Danny Ainge will return home to watch different people on another court. And they’ll be more important to the club’s immediate future than most of what he saw here.

While the Celtics search for new people, their holdovers have been getting after it at their facility in Waltham.

“It’s huge,” Ainge said. “The offseasons are big for all the guys, for every player, including the guys like (Rajon) Rondo, who have played a lot of basketball in their life. Offseasons are big. You get mentally right and work on something in your game.”

With most of the top-rated players choosing not to participate in the combine’s on-court sessions, Ainge and the Celtics staff were perusing people who might be picked later in the first round and beyond — or who will be among the many undrafted free agents. That’s in addition to private interviews, during which the club hopes to obtain a stray clue as to how these young lads will perform once they get paid a lot of money and don’t have to worry about missing class.

The Celts will try to get most of the top prospects to come in for private workouts in the weeks approaching the June 26 draft, and who exactly will make themselves available will be determined by where the club’s top pick lands with Tuesday’s lottery.

But Ainge didn’t come away empty-handed from his trip to shivery Chicago.

“There’s little things that I’ve learned here,” he said. “Just seeing guys in the same gym shooting is a help. It’s not a lot. I don’t put a ton of stock into any of it, really, but you’re just looking for a little bit.

“You want to find out a little bit more about the guys, and we’ve been able to do that this week.”

Ainge and his staff have already been able to chart the progress of many of their holdovers.

“Guys are coming and going, but when I left, Brandon (Bass) was working really hard and Rajon looks great,” the president of basketball operations said. “Chris Babb and Chris Johnson were in last week. Avery (Bradley) was in, too.”

The Celtics also make house calls, paying a visit to the Sullinger family in Ohio to see how young Jared is slimming down after returning this past season from back surgery that limited his ability to get into proper condition last summer.

“(Strength coach Brian) Doo and (assistant coach) Jay Larranaga went to Columbus and worked Jared out,” Ainge said.

“Kelly (Olynyk)’s taking some time off, but he’ll be back in town soon. He had a sore foot and toe, and his shoulder was a little sore, but nothing that a couple of weeks of rest wouldn’t help.”

And then there is Vitor Faverani, who in many ways looked better than expected before his season ended with knee surgery.

“Vitor is rehabbing right now in Spain,” Ainge said. “He rehabbed here after his surgery, and while he’s over there we’re communicating with him and the people who are rehabbing him. He’ll either come in or we’ll go see him some time during the summer. He won’t be ready to go for summer league.”

Faverani may be a little under the radar, but he could well play a prominent role next season.

“I think he proved he was good,” said Ainge. “When he was getting minutes for us and when he was playing in the D-League, I think he proved to everyone that he’s an NBA player.

“He was the only guy on our team this year that was actually any presence at the rim at all. Because Hump (Kris Humphries) was playing well, and Brandon and Kelly and Sully were all playing well, it was just tough for him to get in the rotation. There’s also the language barrier and a cultural thing, but as far as the talent, we think he is definitely an NBA player.

“I’d like to get an additional (rim protector), but I think Vitor has proven he can play a role for us.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge Looks Within For Improvement Empty Re: Danny Ainge Looks Within For Improvement

Post by Sam Mon May 19, 2014 9:55 pm

I don't know why I can't get more excited than Vitor. His stats per minute aren't bad. He seems like a willing worker. I guess i'd just like to see more banging out of him. I don't believe we need a heavyweight finesse guy. I'm probably more influenced by his penchant for slip picks than anything else. Here's wishing him a complete recovery and every possible chance to make a difference with this team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down