Do or Die Date for Shav

+2
steve3344
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Do or Die Date for Shav Empty Do or Die Date for Shav

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am

Danny has to pick up Shav's $1.1M contract by tomorrow or waive him. We are still one player over the limit, despite Colton Iverson's departure to Turkey. NOT looking good for Shav, not unless Danny has a 2-1 trade percolating (it doesn't have to happen today or tomorrow, but it would have to happen by the end of camp).

If he's leaving, he might as well go out dancing. It really picks up around the 2:00 minute mark.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Do or Die Date for Shav Empty Re: Do or Die Date for Shav

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:54 am

A vote for Shav:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-boston-celtics-retain-shavlik-randolph-151400463.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Shav's contract was NOT picked up.

My gut, and this strictly my gut, is that he'll be back by training camp.  Danny just couldn't pull the trigger on a deal in time to do this and wasn't comfortable having more than the 15 limit without a deal in hand that could get him below it.

Just curious, but what's the penalty if you have 16 contracts?

Too bad, I liked Shav.  I especially liked his rebounding.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Bob, I know you've been concerned about toster size for some time. But teams are allowed to carry up to 20 players in the offseason (including training camp).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:24 pm

sam wrote:Bob, I know you've been concerned about toster size for some time. But teams are allowed to carry up to 20 players in the offseason (including training camp).

Sam

Sam,

I know, but there's a difference between having more than 15 players on the roster and having more than 15 guaranteed contracts. Now, if Danny can't pull the trigger on a roster-reducing trade, he's still ok. If he picked up Shav, he'd be in a box and every GM in the league would know it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Bob,

Having more than 15 guaranteed contracts on the off-season roster isn't against the rules. I believe it's far too early in Trader Danny's off-season to worry about having more than 15 guaranteed contracts, as long as they don't exceed the hard cap I believe Bogans' contract created. (I have no idea where that stands.) I have confidence in Danny to juggle the roster and the numbers appropriately. Perhaps not guaranteeing Shav will help (I suppose it couldn't hurt a lot).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:42 am

Bring back Shav!
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 am

Hi,
They did release Shav.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:46 am

Hopefully, the Celtics have deals in the works for some of the players acquired from the Nets, but they have to wait until September 12 to pull the trigger.  In order to combine the former Nets with some of our "leftovers", that is the deadline.

Some teams will have to add salary just to bring their team salary up to the minimum team salary ($52.811 million) for the 2013-2014 season.  It is just a waiting game for each team to see what their roster makeup is and then fill any positions in order to complete their teams.  Once most of the free agents are picked up, the teams below $52.811 million will look to making trades.  These low-salary teams can take on salary and give back traded player exceptions (TPE's) like the one we got from the Nets.  IMO, it is in the Celtics' best interest to wait as long as they can so that the TPE's one year expiration comes later on next summer.  That will give the Celtics more time to wait out the free agent cycle next off-season and then use the TPE's to improve their roster.

At some point, the Celtics can re-sign Shav to a vet-minimum contract, which the league pays a portion of.  That in itself would lower the team's cap number by a little bit.  I hope they do because Shav, even at 30 years of age, would help out this next season.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 am

gyso wrote:Hopefully, the Celtics have deals in the works for some of the players acquired from the Nets, but they have to wait until September 12 to pull the trigger.  In order to combine the former Nets with some of our "leftovers", that is the deadline.

Some teams will have to add salary just to bring their team salary up to the minimum team salary ($52.811 million) for the 2013-2014 season.  It is just a waiting game for each team to see what their roster makeup is and then fill any positions in order to complete their teams.  Once most of the free agents are picked up, the teams below $52.811 million will look to making trades.  These low-salary teams can take on salary and give back traded player exceptions (TPE's) like the one we got from the Nets.  IMO, it is in the Celtics' best interest to wait as long as they can so that the TPE's one year expiration comes later on next summer.  That will give the Celtics more time to wait out the free agent cycle next off-season and then use the TPE's to improve their roster.

At some point, the Celtics can re-sign Shav to a vet-minimum contract, which the league pays a portion of.  That in itself would lower the team's cap number by a little bit.  I hope they do because Shav, even at 30 years of age, would help out this next season.

gyso

I just hope nobody else signs him first. He was a real surprise on the boards when he played. And he helped in our area of greatest weakness. I don't see us much better this year with Reggie Evans not being included in the Nets deal, even with a (hopefully) healthy Sullinger.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:26 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706302/rapid-reaction-farewell-shav

Rapid Reaction: Farewell, Shav
August, 1, 2013
AUG 1 11:25 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Your friendly blogger is vacationing here in the Carolinas, where there's a tangible moroseness after local boy Shavlik Randolph was waived by the Boston Celtics (or it might just be a pesky rain that's lingered recently). Here are a few (not-so rapid) thoughts on Boston's decision to part ways with Randolph before his contract became fully guaranteed on Thursday:

* A NUMBERS GAME: The Celtics had a logjam at the power forward position and too many bodies overall. Cutting Randolph helps bring the number of guaranteed contracts down to the regular-season maximum of 15 and reduces the payroll a tiny bit. It seems to indicate that Boston isn't overly confident it can move any of its other big men, or simply needs the space elsewhere on the roster moving forward. With the team on a youth movement, the Celtics might have simply viewed the soon-to-be 30-year-old Randolph as luxury depth, but someone who might have bit into minutes of younger players (guys that better fit the team's future).

* DESERVES A HOME: Randolph is an endearing story given how he resuscitated his NBA career with Boston last season (this after essentially being out of the league for much of the previous six seasons and making just 38 appearances in that span from 2006-2012). Randolph showcased his rebounding abilities late in the regular season (he grabbed 26.3 percent of all available defensive rebounds and 22.4 percent of all caroms overall), but played only three minutes in the playoffs. Randolph deserves to latch on with an NBA team and continue his quest to stick in the league. A mid-summer release won't help his cause as teams have spent much of July filling up their rosters, but a squad with roster space and need for a serviceable big man could do worse than giving Randolph a chance.

* SALARY RESET: By releasing Randolph, the Celtics are now committed to roughly $72.5 million next season with the current 15-man roster (second-round draft pick Colton Iverson remains unsigned and was expected to play in Turkey next season). Boston is still slightly over the luxury tax line ($71.75 million), but comfortably on the apron (the team is hard-capped at $75.75 million overall). With a chance to help ease future tax burdens, Boston would love to get below the tax line at some point this season, but it still has a little more juggling to do to get there.

* MORE MINUTES FOR YOUNGER PLAYERS: The Celtics still have a surplus of big men and this move could indicate that Boston simply plans to lean on its younger talent up front, all while going small (rookie Kelly Olynyk is one of the few pure 7-footers (not named Fab Melo), and even he prefers to play on the perimeter). Olynyk had a great summer (besides the recent bout with plantar fasciitis) and Jared Sullinger is working his way back from back surgery. Boston can lean on that young duo at times, while Kris Humphries still needs minutes while trying to revitalize his own career (and increase his trade value?) after a down season in Brooklyn. Add in familiar starter Brandon Bass and Boston still has a lot of undersized big men on the roster, along with an intriguing rookie in first-year center Vitor Faverani arriving from Spain.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am

CELTICS WAIVE RANDOLPH, WHO'S STILL VERY GRATEFUL
08/01/20130 Comments

By Gethin Coolbaugh

Shavlik Randolph's tenure with the 17-time world champions came to an end Thursday, but the veteran had nothing but good things to say about the Boston Celtics on his way out the door.

"While I am surprised and disappointed that it did not work out for me to be back with Boston this upcoming season, I am extremely grateful to Danny Ainge and the entire Celtics organization for the amazing opportunity they provided me last season," Randolph told BostonSportsToday.net after the team waived him. "The Celtics are truly a first class organization and I am so privileged and honored to have been part of that organization for the short period of time that I was. I especially want to thank the Celtics fans. The support they showed me when I arrived to the team  and even into this offseason regarding me returning has truly been touching. I am so thankful towards them and [their] support has meant the world to me."

Randolph, 29, signed a 10-day contract with the Celtics on March 1, 2013 after playing basketball overseas in China. Randolph would sign a second 10-day contract with the team before being signed for the rest of the season. Randolph appeared in 16 regular season games with Boston, averaging 4.2 points on 58.3 percent shooting and 4.4 rebounds, and made one appearance in the team's first round playoff series against the New York Knicks, going scoreless with three boards.

Gethin Coolbaugh is the Editor-In-Chief of Boston Sports Today. Twitter: @GethinCoolbaugh.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 am

http://csnne.nbcsports.acquia-ps.com/boston-celtics/celtics-wont-pick-randolphs-option

Celtics won't pick up Randolph's option
August 1, 2013, 6:45 pm
Jessie Camerato

The length of his tenure was irrelevant to Shavlik Randolph.

Even though he had signed with the Celtics just five months ago, Randolph quickly embraced his role as a frontcourt reserve as if he had been on the team for years. He was so eager to continue playing for the organization that he put his impending contract option out of his mind as he worked on improving for next season.

Randolph didn't expect the news he received when his phone rang on Thursday, the deadline for the Celtics to guarantee his contract for the 2013-14 season. The team was going to waive him, a decision he had not anticipated.

The 6-foot-10 forward had approached this offseason with the mindset of being a Celtic on Opening Night. Randolph, who went undrafted out of Duke in 2005, had previously played for three NBA organizations as well as overseas and was looking to establish himself in Boston.

Even though the Celtics roster was crowded in the frontcourt, he was determined to earn one of those spots. He traveled from his offseason home in North Carolina to Waltham, Mass., to workout at the team's practice facility in preparation for the upcoming season, committed to helping the C's as they entered a rebuilding phase.

Instead, he is now entering a new phase of his own career.

"I hope to build on what I did at the end of last season for a full season," Randolph told CSNNE.com in a telephone interview Thursday evening. "I think in a short period of time, I did some really good things and I just want to build on that. I want to continue to be a guy who can come in and play the five, the four if need be, rebound, be a hard nosed defender. I've added a midrange jumpshot to my game, but I also haven't forgotten what's going to keep me on the floor -- that's rebounding, hustle, energy, finishing around the basket."

Following his time in China last season, it didn't take long for Randolph to click within the Celtics system. He averaged 4.4 points and 4.2 rebounds in 12.4 minutes per game, posting season highs of 16 points and 13 rebounds in separate games. Randolph committed himself when called upon to crashing the boards and chipped in when needed at the basket, earning praise from his coach and teammates. At 29. he was no longer a journeyman -- he proved himself to be a dependable contributor.

This recent success has given him the confidence to approach waivers (and free agency if he is not claimed by the deadline on Monday) with the mentality that he belongs in the league following years of looking to stick on an NBA roster.

"It's night and day where I am this point this summer to where I was last summer," he said. "At this point last summer, I didn't know if I was an NBA player. I didn't know where I stood. But now I know what I can do and I've proved that. I've got a whole different level of confidence, and also

I'm a lot better than I was at this point last year. I went over to China, I took advantage of my time over there, I improved, I improved while I was in Boston. While it's unfortunate that I'm not going to be able to return and build on that with that team, I just think whatever team I do go to is going to be getting an even better player than I was last season."

Randolph is open to all possibilities next season should he become a free agent. This includes the possibility of a return to Boston or China. Just hours after being waived, he was switching gears from preparing for a return to the Celtics to looking for a new squad.

"Since the offseason began I haven't really considered being somewhere else [besides Boston]," he said. "Here in these next 48, 72 hours I'm going to be talking with my agent, observing the landscape. But I would absolutely be open to coming back to Boston, that's a no brainer.
Obviously there are some variables that are out of my control, but I'm definitely keeping all my options open."

The Celtics signed Randolph on March 1. During that time he grew close to the organization, coaches, teammates, and gained a deep appreciation for those who supported him as a newcomer and throughout this summer. Regardless of where he plays next season, the Celtics fans have left a lasting mark in his basketball journey.

"I don't know if there's enough room on the paper for what to say to the fans," he said. "I'm just extremely, to the highest level, thankful for their support. I don't think they understand how touching it's been to me. It's been such a highlight of my career, the support that they've given me. It's so easy for a player like me to go out, bust my butt, put my body on the line and play 100 percent all the time when it's for fans that support you the way they supported me. Even into this offseason, showing support in me wanting to return, it just absolutely was touching and I could never really express how grateful I am for that."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down