Source: Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach

3 posters

Go down

Source:  Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach Empty Source: Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706481/source-cs-considering-posey-as-assistant

Source:  Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach Nba_g_posey_gb1_576

James Posey celebrates after the Celtics won the NBA Finals in 2008.

James Posey, a beloved member of the Boston Celtics' 2008 championship team, is a candidate fill out Brad Stevens' coaching staff, a source told ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman.

Stevens built his staff initially by bringing in Ron Adams, a longtime NBA assistant, and Micah Shrewsberry, one of his former assistants at Butler. With a potential desire to add an ex-player to his staff, the 36-year-old Posey is an intriguing option given his ties to the organization and his recent entry into the coaching world. Boston also retained assistant coaches Jay Larranaga and Jamie Young from the Doc Rivers regime.

Posey signed with Boston in August of 2007 and was a key role player (and pregame hugger/hand-shaker) on that title squad. He played only one season here, opting out after 2008 and cashing in with the New Orleans Hornets, but he was mobbed by his teammates when he returned to TD Garden the following season and received his championship ring.

The Indiana Pacers used their amnesty clause on Posey in December 2011, effectively ending his playing career. Posey spent this past summer as an assistant with the Cleveland Cavaliers during the Las Vegas summer league.

The Celtics have benefitted from having a former player on their roster in recent seasons, often utilizing Tyronn Lue as a practice body and someone who could give hands-on training to younger players.

Stevens recently sent a letter to former Celtics players inviting them to practices and games as he attempts to establish relationships with members of Boston's tradition-heavy past. Posey's addition could further aid that cause, and he was regarded as a key chemistry guy on that 2008 title team.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Source:  Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach Empty Re: Source: Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach

Post by k_j_88 Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:01 pm

I also heard that McCarty could become an assistant as well.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Source:  Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach Empty Re: Source: Celtics Considering James Posey for Assistant Coach

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:39 pm

I hate to say I told you so, but......remember when I wrote last year that McCarty was back in town? Everything fell in place for him, he was on Comcast for a while during the playoffs and just prior.

I wonder if this a Ty Lue kind of a role, or more, and is Posey now out of the picture. I hope not, he would be a great guy on the bench.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down