Giving Back

Go down

Giving Back Empty Giving Back

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:42 pm

I saw this article and thought that it deserved its own thread.

We've all heard the old joke about how "one hundred atta boys can be wiped out by one oh shit".  Well, we hear all about athletes, rich people and other people of popular stature and power screwing up.  We start threads that make fun and castigate them when they screw up.  I think it's only fair, when it's appropriate, that they be given credit for their atta boys too.  This doesn't mean their oh shits aren't so big and so bad as to be wiped out by an atta boy, nor vice versa, but fair is fair.  

Whenever I see stories like this, I'll try to add them to this thread.  Feel free to do the same.  Life is only screwed up if you focus on the screw ups.

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_23928247/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-does-%20question-and

Stephen Curry is tired. His droopy eyes and unkempt hair give it away. His whirlwind summer is winding down. He co-hosted the NBA social media awards. He shot a Foot Locker commercial with James Harden. He visited Africa.

Now, Curry is at Pebble Beach. After spending seven hours with campers on Monday Â-- dunking for the crowd at his overnight camp at The Stevenson School, he was back for more on Tuesday. Soon, he will head back to Charlotte, then after Labor Day, he will come back to Oakland to get ready for training camp.

But first, he took time to do a question-and-answer session with the Bay Area News Group.

This is the first time since 2010 you went through an offseason without having to recover from ankle surgery. How has that impacted your summer?
It's been great -- mentally more so than physically. I can't understate how good it feels to not have to do rehab. Just not having to grind through the strenuous process. I feel like I've been able to pace myself this summer so I can be in top physical shape for training camp.Â"

What are you doing now working out that you couldn't do before?
Nothing really. It's just the fact I could do it a month after the season was over. I could get back into my routine. I didn't have to sit out two-and-a-half months without touching a ball. I can take my workout to new levels because I set that foundation early, instead of playing catch-up in the month of August.

You entered the final day of the American Century Championship with the lead but finished tied for fourth. How'd you lose that golf tournament?
Because golf is not my priority, I guess you can say. When you're in competition it's fun. But you get a little shaky hands when you have an opportunity to win if you're not used to that kind of setting. That's what happened to me. I didn't play terribly down the stretch. It was more like I tried to run the clock out instead of making a couple of big-time baskets. I tried to milk the clock like a high school game.

As competitive as you are, did it bother you?
It killed me. Just for the first couple hours after the round. After that, it was kind of cool to be tied for fourth. They told me no basketball player has ever won the tournament. I finished higher than any other basketball player. And no current athlete has ever won it or finished that high. So, I set some marks.

Is there an NBA player better than you in golf?
According to that tournament, they'd say no. But on any given day I bet I can get beat. I played with Ray Allen. He can hit it. I beat him that day we played. But he's nice.

What's been your best daddy moment this offseason?
Probably being at my daughter's first birthday party. Blowing up rubber ducky swim rafts for the pool. Cooking for all the kids. It was nice.

What's been your best husband moment this offseason?
We had a little anniversary weekend in Chicago. We went to our favorite restaurant. It was a good weekend. It was our first weekend together without Riley.

You went to Tanzania to deliver bed nets to refugee families. What made you do that?
I wanted to go last year. You know you're helping people but you can't put faces to it and you can't really have a full appreciation for the conditions they are living in. So I had an opportunity to go and see it first hand and I jumped on it. We were able to make it happen thanks to the UN Foundation, Nothing But Nets and (founder) Rick Reilly. It really opened my eyes and even cemented the work that we're doing. Hopefully we can grow it even more.

What stuck out to you the most out there?
How tough the parents have it over there. To really take care of their kids. As a parent, your one goal in life is to provide and care for your kids. Some of them have big families and they can't protect their child from malaria, from mosquitos without the nets. And they have no way to get them unless they are distributed by organizations like Nothing But Nets. So it's a sense of desperation for them. Also there was an overwhelming sense of appreciation once the mission was accomplished when we were there.

What playoff memory do you think about the most?
I think about Game 1 against the Spurs all the time. We played so well in Game 2. If we would have gotten that done in Game 1, I feel like we would've been in great shape to have a firm grip on the series going back home.

How will you improve your defense this season?
By sticking to the game plan consistently over the course of the season. I was really good my first two months, especially on the pick-and-roll. I don't know if it was a fatigue issue, or playing minutes, or lack of attention to detail. I wasn't that bad. I've looked at the film over the summer. But I can be a lot better, a lot more consistent, like I was the first 25 games or so.

Is it possible to be good on defense for an entire season with the offensive load you carry?
No excuses. It's definitely possible. When I'm in the game, I'm not really thinking, 'I'm tired. Let me milk it on defense.' I've just got to dig deep. That's what you prepare in the summer for, to battle through fatigue like that. So I think it is possible. I'm not going to be defensive player of the year. But hopefully I can be top 10 (among point guards) and be able to disrupt some of the best point guards in the world.

How does it make you feel when people say you can't play defense?
I don't really care. I know I can. I know I'm capable of it. I know I've shown it. I'm not a liability on the defensive end at all, I don't think.

What impact has increased fame had on your life?
Probably just trying to balance family life and private time. You have a busier schedule and opportunities are thrown at you. Knowing when to say no, when you're doing too much, or knowing what is too much. It's a balancing act over the summer. I feel like I have a lot of free time, but I don't want to take away from family time.

If you listed the top 10 point guards in the league, where would you rank?
Somewhere in there. It doesn't matter. What's the separation? From 1 to 10, is it that much of a drop off where you're like, 'Ahhh, I wish I was higher?' It doesn't make a difference. If you're in that group, on any given night you are going to play like you're the best. It's just who can be more consistent.

You see the debates about whether you're a top five point guard, right?
Yeah, but I don't know what it's based on. Everybody plays differently, everybody has a different role. If you're starting a team now it would be a different list. If you're basing it on whole career it would be different. From conversation to conversation, it's different. I think the only consistent thing is Chris Paul is in the top two no matter what you say the criteria is, pretty much. If it's most athletic, I'm not in the top 10.

Fill in the blank: if the Warriors finish below ______ wins you'd be disappointed.
I'll say 50 wins. I don't know what seeding that gets us, but I'm pretty sure we'd be a playoff team. Then we'd attack the playoffs like we did last year.

Word has it your Nike deal is expiring. What's the status on your next shoe deal?
Still working on it. I've got big loyalty to Nike. There are some suitors that are throwing some pretty good offers when it comes to what they can do on and off the court to support what I'm interested in. So, we will see.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down