NBA.COM Off Season Report Card

3 posters

Go down

NBA.COM Off Season Report Card Empty NBA.COM Off Season Report Card

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm

http://truthoncauseway.com/2013/09/21/nba-offseason-report-card/

NBA.COM Off Season Report Card Imagereport

Probably around a week ago NBA.com revealed their offseason report cards for all 30 teams in the league. Essentially they gave a grade to each team, from an A+ to an F. They divided each team in 5 categories, gave a grade to each and then calculated the overall grade for the team.

Sometimes fans believe their team had a fantastic offseason when they actually didn’t do anything, or sometimes they think they had an awful offseason by only getting veteran minimum players. I am one who believes that the offseason is extremely difficult to grade before a single game is played.

Anyway, here is how John Schuhmann sees the Celtics:

Frontcourt: D. They lost KG, simple as that.

Backcourt: B. Anytime Rondo is on your team that’s good.

Defense: C. They lost their anchor in KG, but having Avery Bradley there will help. (Apparently Wallace will help here too).

Bench: C. This one worries me: “The good news is that a backcourt combination of MarShon Brooks and Jordan Crawford could be very entertaining.” I don’t see that as good news, welp.

Coaching: C. This is the toughest one because how are you going to grade a coach who has never coached an NBA game?

Finally, Schuhmann gives the Celtics offseason a C. It sounds fair. They lost their captain, their heart and soul, and their wonderful coach. Still, what Danny got in return will help a lot in the future – which is simething Schuhmann apparently did not take into account much. The trade exception and the picks will be huge assets going forward. And I’m sorry to break this to you but Avery, Sullinger, Olynyk, Green, etc are amazing assets too.

This is a brandnew team. Ainge started off the rebuild the way it should have started. Lets see how we can grade him once we see some games.

bob
MY NOTE:  This grade is based only upon where he sees the Celtics between the end of last season and right now.  Considering he isn't taking account any of the assets and value gained in the offseason trades (the $10M trade exception, the >$20M in expiring contracts, the 4 first round picks not including our own), I'm ok with him giving the Celtics a "C".  It says to me that he recognizes we still have some good core here, we're just not what we were last year.  No kidding, but that's hardly news hot off the presses.  The bad news about this is that a "C" might make us good enough to flirt with an 8th playoff spot and that would be a disaster, the worst possible scenario.  The good news is that if we're a "C" with this team, it's only going to get better over the next 2-3 years as those assets and value start to translate into actual players via free agency thanks to the trade exception and expiring contracts and/or via trades using some of the current roster plus perhaps some of those draft picks and/or the draft and as our young team, players and coaches, improve and integrate.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA.COM Off Season Report Card Empty Re: NBA.COM Off Season Report Card

Post by k_j_88 Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I'd have given the Celtics a B for their moves. There is no definitive answer at the 1 behind Rondo, and same with the 5.

All in all, they essentially made the moves that were necessary. I had kind of hoped that Ainge made moves sooner, though.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Please, god, let all the prognostications stop and let the play begin. Please. How will the next prediction be cloaked? How about a horse who scratches once in the dirt for A, twice for B, etc. Of just feed the horse a lot and let him do the same kind of rating with meadow muffins?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:46 am

sam wrote:Please, god, let all the prognostications stop and let the play begin.  Please.  How will the next prediction be cloaked?  How about a horse who scratches once in the dirt for A, twice for B, etc.  Of just feed the horse a lot and let him do the same kind of rating with meadow muffins?

Sam
sam,

This is how it is leading up to almost everything that's worth following. Everybody wants to know what's going to happen and everybody has an opinion about how things are going to happen. It doesn't matter if it's politics or basketball or

Unlike most people, we here have been talking about this almost non-stop for 2 1/2 months now, so of course we're a bit sick of it. They're just repeating the stuff we've been talking about but they are just coming back to work after taking most of the summer off.

8 more days, probably 9 before we actually have something in print about something that actually happened. I'm anxious too. Hang in there.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 am

Looking forward to it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net