NBA May Have Heat and Nets Wear Nicknames On Jerseys

+3
NYCelt
Sam
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

NBA May Have Heat and Nets Wear Nicknames On Jerseys Empty NBA May Have Heat and Nets Wear Nicknames On Jerseys

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Ok, now I'm gagging to the point of projectile vomiting.  If this happens, the NBA will have stooped down to the level of the short-lived Extreme Football League (XFL), which allowed players to put nicknames on the backs of their jerseys instead of their names.  The classic was a player, real name Rod Smart, whose nickname on his back was "He Hate Me".

Ray Allen thinks it's "growth". Really, Ray, really? Growth of what? Your collective egos?

I thought things might get better when Mr. Potato Head retired, and then the newbie pulls this shit...

NBA may have Heat, Nets wear nicknames on jerseys
TIM REYNOLDS (AP Basketball Writer) 6 minutes ago
AP - Sports
NBA may have Heat, Nets wear nicknames on jerseys.

MIAMI (AP) -- So long, James, Allen, Pierce and Garnett.

At least for one game, King James, Jesus Shuttlesworth, The Truth and KG may be headed to the backs of NBA jerseys.

Some members of the Miami Heat have been told the NBA is considering having them and the Brooklyn Nets wear ''nickname jerseys'' in at least one of their four matchups this season. The NBA has not announced the plan, but teams apparently have been aware of the likelihood of it happening for at least several weeks.

''It shows growth in our league and it shows we do adapt to what's going on around us,'' said Allen, the Heat guard who plans to wear Shuttlesworth on his jersey, a nod to his character from the ''He Got Game'' film. ''And we're still kids, playing a kids' game. Even though we're now men playing a kids' game, we still remember where we come from. Everybody had a nickname and it's a way to let the fans in a little bit more.''

Players were asked to submit what names they would want on the jerseys.

Four-time NBA MVP LeBron James is expected to wear ''King James.'' Heat guard Dwyane Wade would have any number of nicknames to choose from, with ''Three'' - both his jersey number and championship-ring total - being his current favorite.

Brooklyn forward Paul Pierce has been called ''The Truth'' for many years, and fellow new Nets forward Kevin Garnett has long been known by his initials.

The Heat and Nets are among the preseason favorites in the Eastern Conference, which Miami has won in each of the past three seasons.

Miami forward Shane Battier - who wasn't exactly thrilled about the nickname idea - said he wanted to wear ''Batman'' on his jersey, though was told that Warner Brothers holds the rights to that name, and other players have also had to deal with copyright-related issues with their suggested monikers. Battier said he'll go with ''Shaneo'' instead.

''Fans will like it and so will a lot of the players,'' Allen said. ''Guys will get a good kick out of it.''

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA May Have Heat and Nets Wear Nicknames On Jerseys Empty Re: NBA May Have Heat and Nets Wear Nicknames On Jerseys

Post by Sam Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Stupid!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

NBA May Have Heat and Nets Wear Nicknames On Jerseys Empty Re: NBA May Have Heat and Nets Wear Nicknames On Jerseys

Post by NYCelt Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Maybe they should let the opposing fans pick the names.

Might be interesting to see The Heat take the floor with King Ego, No-D-Wade and others.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:52 am

Yet another sign of the coming apocalypse. At least that's the only thing about it that make sense to me.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 am

If the NBA is truly looking into this, it's quite disgraceful.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:01 am

I was hoping Bob found this story on theonion.com, but no, it is sadly a real story.

I am pretty sure that we will hear a follow up in the next few days that this won't be happening.

Adam Silver might push for this idiotic idea, but there's no way that I see this being tied to the last few months of David Stern's legacy.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:33 am

tjmakz wrote:I was hoping Bob found this story on theonion.com, but no, it is sadly a real story.

I am pretty sure that we will hear a follow up in the next few days that this won't be happening.

Adam Silver might push for this idiotic idea, but there's no way that I see this being tied to the last few months of David Stern's legacy.

TJ,

I only wish I found it on The Onion.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't know guys, the history of professional basketball is riddled with shameless, wacky gigs used to save itself. 3 to make 2 was used to boost a league of guys that couldn't make their free throws in the mid to late 70's. Thank God Bird and Magic came along to pull us out of that on-coming train wreck. 3 on 3 during halftime until the league realized their guys could be injured for the season in a pick-up game. Red, White and Blue basketball from the ABA, although I liked that one.

This seems pretty harmless, especially if it's only for one game. I'm curious though, the league doesn't appear to need saving at this point, does it?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Dbrown,

I believe the 3 to make 2 freebies was designed to discourage excessive fouling in hopes of trading 2 points for 1 point (or zero points). If guys weren't able to make free throws (which I don't know about), wouldn't it have been even more boring for the crows to watch them missing bonus free throws all the time?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2013/09/25/funny-celtics-possibilities-if-the-nba-lets-players-wear-nicknames-on-their-jerseys/

Funny Celtics Possibilities If the NBA Lets Players Wear Nicknames on Their Jerseys
Published:  September 25th 2013, 4:07pm

The NBA is apparently considering the usage of nicknames on jerseys, per a league-sponsored blog. The initial matchup where this might happen would be between the defending-champion Miami Heat and the Brooklyn Nets. No official word has been given as to the status of this concept, but the blog post quotes several prominent players, lending legitimacy to the story.

For Celtics fans, this comes a year too late for the most iconic recent nicknames associated with their team. Paul Pierce (known as "the Truth") and Kevin Garnett (known as either "KG" or "the Big Ticket") are now with the Nets after an offseason trade. However, it's still interesting (and funny) to look at some of the possibilities if the Celtics ever partook in the latest league-sponsored shenanigans.

Celtics nickname possibilities (clearly worth the price of admission)

Brandon Bass: the Muscle

Keith Bogans: Bogo Stick

Avery Bradley: the Pest

MarShon Brooks: Swag, Swag Sleeves

Jordan Crawford: Sizzle

Vitor Faverani: El Hombre Indestructible

Jeff Green: Uncle Jeff

Kris Humphries: The Hump

Courtney Lee: Lucky (might need to work on that one).

Kelly Olynyk: Sunshine

Rajon Rondo: Johnny

Jared Sullinger: Smokey the Swag Bear (again, might need fine-tuning).

Gerald Wallace: Crash

bob
MY NOTE: Two "Swag"s? No "Pitbull"?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Bob,

Do you have a different suggestion for Jordan Crawford?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Outside wrote:Bob,

Do you have a different suggestion for Jordan Crawford?

Outside

Not one he'd like.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down