Andre Drummond’s offensive rebounding trick: grabbing his own miss

2 posters

Go down

Andre Drummond’s offensive rebounding trick: grabbing his own miss Empty Andre Drummond’s offensive rebounding trick: grabbing his own miss

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:41 am

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/01/andre-drummonds-offensive-rebounding-trick-grabbing-his-own-miss/

Andre Drummond’s offensive rebounding trick: grabbing his own miss
Kurt Helin Sep 1, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT

Andre Drummond is a rebounding machine — he is the only player in the last 17 years to grab more than 100 offensive and 100 defensive rebounds in a month. Last season, Drummond grabbed 437 offensive rebounds, the most in the NBA by a wide margin (Rudy Gobert was second but 40 back). He grabbed a ridiculous 18.3 percent of the Pistons’ missed shots last season, also best in the NBA by a healthy range (DeAndre Jordan was second at 16.2). Drummond’s offensive rebound rate was 11th best in NBA history. He had 337 putback shots off misses last season. He’s a physical force of nature on the boards.

He’s also got a little trick, a little gift that helps him out — he gets a lot of his own misses.

This isn’t new news, look what Drummond told MLive last season when asked if he rushes shots knowing he might miss and grab his own board:  “Yeah, I’d say sometimes I do,” Drummond said, when asked if he indeed plots some misses directionally. “I’m not going to lie. I do sometimes. I know I can go get it and put it right back in.”

As noted in a great piece by Scott Rafferty at The Sporting News, this is an old Moses Malone trick and it’s not about racking up stats, it’s about practicality.

It’s not that Drummond deliberately misses shots for the sake of padding his rebounding numbers; He rushes them knowing his second jump is far quicker than most opponents. Malone did the same over the course of his career. As soon as the ball left his fingertips, he’d use his size and speed advantage to fight for positioning while his defender was still in the air.

Check out this video to get an example — Drummond hurries his shot but knows he can just move Gobert out-of-the-way and get his own board.

https://cdn2.streamable.com/video/04wb.webm

(Drummond gets fouled here, and as a guy who shot 38.9 percent from the stripe last year he can expect to see more of that. It’s a valid strategy against him.)

It will be interesting to see if Drummond can keep up these numbers as Stan Van Gundy brings in shooters — it’s not just that there may be fewer rebounds to grab, but the rebound of a missed three-point shot often caroms a long way out from where Drummond is around the rim.

But consider this something to watch next season. As the NBA trends smaller, Drummond is an old-school big man who can do this to a lot of teams.

bob
MY NOTE:  Just like two other "old-school big men" who can't hit their fritos, Andre Drummond is a liability at the end of a close game.  The Pistons just need to shoot over 40% as a team for a Hack-a-Drummond defensive strategy to make sense.  If he ever learns to shoot fritos then he'll be a monster but we saw what happened in the playoff series between Houston and LAC.  Every fga miss was immediately followed by the closest player running at the opposing team's center and intentionally fouling him.  You can have 10 blocks/game and 20 rebounds, but if you're under a minute or two and the game is still close for whatever collection of reasons then any player who cannot execute in the clutch or, at the least, cannot guarantee there won't be an empty possession, needs to sit down.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Andre Drummond’s offensive rebounding trick: grabbing his own miss Empty Re: Andre Drummond’s offensive rebounding trick: grabbing his own miss

Post by wide clyde Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Drummond is certainly not the first guy to miss close in shots on purpose in the NBA to 'pad' his rebounding stats.

Hall of Famer, Moses Malone may have never publicly admitted doing this but if you are old enough to remember watching him play it was always more than evident that this is what he did on a very regular basis.

Malone clearly knew what would get him a higher salary and he used this theory/plan to achieve his goal.  Statistically, missing, say five, bunnies per game and having them turn into five offensive rebounds was a very beneficial move on his part.  

Making 11 of 21 shots instead of 11 for 16 still allowed him to be a plus 50% shooter and probably give him the five extra offensive rebounds per game would just about guarantee him getting double digit rebounds each game even with perhaps a marginally effective game on the defensive end.

When you get as many shots from the 2 foot range as Malone got in a game there is almost no way that you cannot get at least some of your own misses and follow that easy rebound up with either a quick hoop or even another 'cheap' type of rebound.

I never made any money playing basketball, but I certainly used this method for many years in the Y leagues to boost my rebound averages.  In fact, it is just so easy that I am surprised that more NBA players have not taken advantage.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down