Celts/Raptors 10/16

5 posters

Go down

Celts/Raptors 10/16 Empty Celts/Raptors 10/16

Post by steve3344 Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:11 am

http://www.nba.com/games/20131016/BOSTOR/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

Losing close games seems to be our thing in the pre-season. Not that it matters a whole heck of a lot tho.

Would love to see Jeff Green rev it up a bit. His best one so far and he still only had 13 pts and 2 rebs in 30+ minutes.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Celts/Raptors 10/16 Empty Re: Celts/Raptors 10/16

Post by dboss Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:56 am

My observations

The 2nd stat that I am going to look at all season is fast break points.  The Celtics had 13 last night.  Uptempo basketball takes discipline and effort because most of the time someone else is going to take the shot.

Coach Stevens has been going with s starting unit that has little chance to compete  becasue they lack size in the paint.  

Sooner or later either KO has to start at center or they need give Vitor a shot.  Has anyone noticed that Kelly is starting to rebound better?  Could it be that when Kelly plays closer to the basket that he is more effective at both ends.  Is it possible that the scouting reports out of college were accurate in stating that he was really not a jump shooter and did his best work around the basket.  Is it possible that Danny Ainge's notion that KO could be a stretch 4 is just another idea of not really understanding what a player brings to the table (drafted AB as a point)

As far as Vitor is concerned I like him the more I see him and I really do not see how you can avoid playing him.  He has a lot of skills as a basketball player and as he gets more comfortable playing in the NBA and adds some strength he could be a solid STARTING center.

If Doc Rivers was still coaching this team Brooks would have been pulled out of the game after his 2nd carrying the ball violation.  The patience of Stevens paid off because last night we finally got a chance to see that Brooks has the potential to be a scoring machine.  I would wager that Brooks has been lighting it up in practice so the Celtics already know that he can ball.  If Courtney Lee does not show more consistencey, Brooks could steal some minutes away from him.  

The problem with Lee is that he does not consistently knock down open looks and he struggles to score when he is being checked.  Brooks on the otherhand plays like he could get his shot off in the middle of a riot.

How about Crawford.  I have seen little that tells me that he can run the point.  He has had some good moments but he also implodes under pressure.  A guy makes a 3 point shot and then thinks he freakin Larry Bird.  For me I'll take Pressey over Crawford right now.

The losses do not really add up until the season starts.

The team is playing with energy and passion and each game we are seeing a lot of positive forward movement.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:34 am

Hi,
My observations.
Once again I saw that PP is a better pg than JC. I heard what Tommy said about it on the pre-game show, but I'll stick to my guns. PP's decisions much more logical and efficient. Their execution is not always right, but that usually improves with experience. Also, on a few occasions I noticed that JC slows down allowing the defense to set in.

JG is slowly waking up. I hope the trend continues.

Vitor has good hands: he can catch the ball while moving.

As for Lee vs Brooks, I'd take Lee - Brooks has no clue what to do on defensive end of the floor.

Speaking about defense, I think Bass is very close to the point where he ended the last season.

2 more games and 2 more weeks before the season - let's see where the team is...

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 am

Sinus

I agree with you 100% about Lee's defense vs Brooks but and that is a big but, we need a more consistent scoring.  Given the offensive production from the guards I would still give Brooks some minutes.  I was not suggesting that Brooks over Lee but that Brooks may get some minutes if Lee cannot knock down shots.

Bass is a very solid defender.

The biggest problem with this team is that they have 5 players (Bass, Sully, KO, Hump and Vitor) at the 4/5 spots.  How do you divide up 96 minutes between those guys unless you opt to turn Vitor into a 5 MPG guy.  And let's not forget that JG may also play some 4.  

The Celtics are not going to be able to utilize the strengths of their team with Bass and Sulliger starting along side Jeff Green.  Sully is such a strong rebounder that he needs to be in there.  Hump is no center either so that leaves KO and Vitor as the most logical guys to play the 5.

I would feel comfortable with either KO or Vitor starting at the 5.  I would send bass to the bench and rotate him into the game.

The way this team is structured someone is going to be riding the pine however Stevens good upset the apple cart by going deep into his rotation while reducing minutes for these players.

That approach would not be what we have seen in the past form any team.  Having guys play a lot of minutes together has been the mainstay of most NBA teams.  But maybe Stevens tries something different.  

My best guess is that Vitor will begin the season as an observer and/or situational rotaton player.  Bass, Sully Hump and Ko will get the minutes.  Wallace will not be happy.  JG needs to play 30+ minutes per which leaves 18 for wallace unless they both play together which is quite possible but which will also cut into the 96 minutes for the 4/5 spots.

I do think that Stevens can say if you do not run you sit.  Perhaps this is not a bad arrangement afterall if it leads to FAST BREAK up and down, torrid pace basketball.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Happy to see Brooks get some minutes.  We're going to need someone who can come in for stretches and light it up.  He won't be on the floor to defend, which is OK if he can make the scorer push that orange plus key often. Especially the ones marked +2 and +3.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 pm

Dboss and Sinus,

Thanks to both of you for your very interesting and valid insights.

Dboss, it's very difficult to predict minutes on this team.  Of course, I believe predictions of virtually any kind are pretty much a waste, but it's particularly true in this case.  And the reason is that a number of players will be playing multiple positions as you indicated; and much of the reason for all the multi-position variation will be determined by the different "looks" Brad will have at his disposal.  Vitor's likely to get some minutes in the closest thing the Celtics will have to a "power" unit.  Green's likely to get some minutes at PF, with Wallace getting time at SF and Sully at center when Brad wants to go "small."  A "speed" unit would favor more time for Bradley and (IMO) Pressey as well as Green at SF and maybe Olynyk at center.  A "defensive" unit would very possibly give Vitor more minutes at center and continue with Bass at PF, Wallace at SF, and Lee and Bradley (or perhaps, over time, Bradley and Pressey) at guard.  A "rebounding" unit would favor Humphries and Sully playing together up front.  I'm sure there more examples, but my point is that minutes can be allocated at least partly by situational basketball rather than by Brad simply deciding to give various guys specified amounts of minutes—which accounts for the difficulty in predicting minutes distribution.

One thing we haven't talked about is how things may be shaping up as to who finishes games.  That's why I'm hoping Brad will play the final two exhibition games for the win, including identifying a unit best suited to close out games.

I view this season as a great learning opportunity for all of us as we speculate, experience and even endure the vagaries of the season along with Brad.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Sam

I pretty much envision the same senarios that you have suggested.  There are several groupings of players that may excel based on situational needs.  In that regard, minutes from game to game could vary.

I do however think that there are 3 guys (4 when Rondo returns ) that will be mainstays regardless of tempo, and /or situational basketball.  In my estimation those guys are Green, Sully and Bradley.

I think we will also see these guys closing out games.  I would also expect to see Pressey in there until Rondo returns because I just do not see Crawford as a good execution guy at the end of games.

The 5th guy could be a number of players from Lee to KO to Wallace to Hump.  I think it will depend on what Stevens determines is needed.  And this too will change from game to game.

Funny you referred to Doc and "small ball"  was that by design?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:14 pm

DBoss,

That's a riot. No, it was not by design. I think it was more by habit.

It would be nice if that 4th guy were a a bona fide center. World peace would also be nice.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I would rather get a bona fide center than World peace.

I never liked him or the Knicks...ha

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down