Avery Bradley Sounds Like a Happy Camper

Go down

Avery Bradley Sounds Like a Happy Camper Empty Avery Bradley Sounds Like a Happy Camper

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:53 am

It appears to be "Avery Bradley Day" in the press.  Some interesting points made about decisions that need to be made by Danny, not just AB's extension but Brooks too.  If they don't pick up his option, then he's an expiring contract too.  Funny, I'm suddenly starting to feel better about Marshon Brooks.  Let's see if the feeling is still there on Friday...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/10/avery_bradley_sounds_like_happy_camper

A lot more is being asked of him this fall with Rajon Rondo on the shelf, but Avery Bradley has never had this much time to work on his game when the games don’t count and his team is assembled.

That’s because, the 2011-12 lockout season included, the Celtics guard never had a training camp prior to now. Though his job description will change once Rondo eventually returns, Bradley feels fresh enough to handle anything that is thrown his way.

“I feel great,” he said this weekend. “My body feels great. Mentally I feel great. I was able to get the rust off in preseason.”

And that’s an entirely new experience. Not even in the lockout season, which Bradley actually started healthy, did he have a chance to prepare normally. Ankle and double shoulder offseason surgery nullified his chance to prepare in the 2010 and 2012 training camps, respectively.

The benefits now are obvious. Bradley feels that much readier on the eve of Wednesday night’s season opener in Toronto.

“Going out there and being able to take chances on offense, and do things I’m not comfortable doing,” Bradley said of one omnipresent challenge – the task of attempting to fill in for Rondo at point guard.

“That way I know what I can do when the season starts,” he said. “I’ll feel more comfortable out there. I feel a lot more comfortable at the point guard position this year, and that’s because the coach and my teammates have more confidence.”

There’s also the adjustment that comes with a new head coach. Brad Stevens’ approach has been different for everyone on the roster, not just Bradley.

“We’re all open to learning, because we all need each other,” he said. “Me being a four-year guy, I have to adapt to the new system a little faster because I’m one of the leaders on the team. I’ve been open to everything, from (Stevens) to (assistant) coach Ron Adams. I just want to be the best player I can be.

“It takes a lot for everyone. It’s a completely different game at this level. It’s gonna take time. We’re going to make mistakes. But every time we step on the floor we want to take steps forward.”

The final 14

The Celtics, as expected, cut their roster down to 14 yesterday with the release of forwards Damen Bell-Holter and DeShawn Sims, and guards Chris Babb and Kammron Taylor.

Though Babb was one of the team’s best 3-point shooters — a stat that Stevens cherishes — even a rookie minimum contract would have pushed the Celtics over the luxury tax threshold. They are now approximately $200,000 under the line with every intention of not adding payroll.

Don’t be surprised if Babb starts the season with the NBADL’s Maine Red Claws.

But the Celtics do have two important decisions to make by Thursday. They have until that date to reach agreement with Bradley on an extension. Though both sides have indeed been in negotiations, as of this weekend nothing is imminent.

They also have until Thursday to pick up the option on MarShon Brooks for next season, when the shooting guard would make approximately $2.2 million.

But the former Net is part of a massive shooting guard logjam that also includes Jordan Crawford, Courtney Lee and, when Rondo returns, Bradley. Stevens has also been experimenting at that position.

Brooks has had some nice moments — most notably a 15-point fourth quarter during the Celtics’ Oct. 16 exhibition loss in Toronto. But his defense — never a personal strength — has come as advertised.

Management is still debating whether to pick up his 2014-15 option.

Learning process

Rondo, who has always been one of Bradley’s most ardent boosters, continues to tutor the younger guard.

“This isn’t Avery’s first time, but he still has a lot of questions, so I try to give him as much advice as possible,” Rondo said. “Not a lot of criticism. I try to stay as positive as possible. I want to tell those guys exactly what I see on the floor and they’re able to take it. Our young guys can do that. They’re really open-minded, and they’ll be in this league for a long time.” . . .

The team resumes practice tomorrow after Stevens gave the team today and yesterday off. In all, the Celtics will have had a six-day break, practices included, between their last exhibition game and Wednesday’s season opener.

“We’re getting better each game,” Rondo said. “Guys are still learning our rotations, but they’re very open, so if we continue to grow and keep an open mind, we’ll be better off quicker than you expect. I’m looking forward to the challenge myself. There’s a lot of guys in that room who are up for the challenge.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down