RUSSELL RULES: INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER 1: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity."

4 posters

Go down

RUSSELL RULES: INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER 1: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity." Empty RUSSELL RULES: INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER 1: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity."

Post by Sam Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:26 am

Since Brad Stevens has been using and mentioning Bill Russell's book, "Russell Rules," lately, I thought I'd reprise my commentary on the book that I first posted on Boston.Com. I realize that I did include this, in its entirety, in the forum about my writings. But I'm hoping that, if I present a little bit at a time, it will be easier to digest and more conducive to focused, stimulating conversation. I hope you enjoy it.

Sam

This first installment contains introductory elements and a synopsis and commentary on Chapter One: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity."

As a preface to posting my synopsis of Bill Russell's book "Russell Rules," I saved a newspaper article that compared this book with one called Shaq Talks Back. Some highlights from the article:

Premise of the book:
Russell: Learn what made the 1956-1969 Celtics winners and apply it to your own company/relationships/life
Shaq: Nobody know the "real" Shaq. Now you can.

Sample chapter:
Russell: Toughness or Tenderness. Creating Your Leadership Style.
Shaq: Dead Presidents and Free Agents

Favorite Leonardo:
Russell: DaVinci
Shaq: DiCaprio

Names dropped:
Russell: Tony Robbins, Haile Selassie, Lee Iacocca, John Glenn
Shaq: Bill Gates, Madonna, Marilyn Manson, Snoop Dogg

Political commentary:
Russell: Supports affirmative action
Shaq: Endorses only products he actually uses

Philosophy:
Russell: Look for the positive in your imagination. If you go into a dark room find the light switch.
Shaq: If you don't enjoy doing it, don't do it. Image is reality.

Quote of note:
Russell: Winning that's joyless is like eating in a four-star restaurant when you're not hungry.
Shaq: My view on marriage is that you can't have two cars when you're supposed to have only one.

Won't be in Rick Pitino's next book:
Russell: Celtic Pride is both a cognitive concept and a deeply emotional one.
Shaq: If they would have had this Internet stuff when I was coming up, I would have been in Harvard by now.

I don't think so, Shaq. But you readers can draw your own conclusions..

A synopsis of Russell Rules follows.

At the outset, I shouldn't overlook the introduction in which Bill includes some interesting stuff. Russ called Wilt Chamberlain "Norman," and Wilt called Russ "Felton," in both cases their middle names. Shortly before Wilt died in October, 1999, during one of their "marathon phone calls," Russ told Wilt about the time when Russ was hosting a talk show and had actor Rod Steiger as a guest. The dialog between Russ and Steiger went like this, beginning with Russ: "Are you a good actor?"

"I am a GREAT actor."

"How good?"

"The best."

"If you really think you are that good, I have the ultimate defining role that would leave no uncertainty that you could reach any height as an actor.........Could you play me?"

Apparently, Steiger fell off the sofa and so did Wilt.

Russell's answer to how the old Celtics would have fared against Da Bulls of Michael Jordan:"The Celtics would have won in a walk. We would let Michael get his 40 or 50 points and we would have beaten them
decisively. Why? We had the more complete team. We had the matchups. We were far stronger coming off the bench. The vaunted defense of the Bulls would have been useless against us because of the kind of ball
movement and shooting accuracy we regularly brought to our games. Sam Jones was as great a shooter as the game has seen; it would not have been possible to stop him without seriously compromising the defense.
Bob Cousy could not have been contained. K.C. Jones, Frank Ramsey, John Havlicek, Tommy Heinsohn—all of them Hall of Famers—would have been waiting like alligators in the shadows to take advantage of any
overplaying or shifting by the Bulls. I sincerely believe there was an honest truth behind all those kind words about the Celtics and about me being the greatest of winners."

Note the absence of any comparison of himself with Jordan because IT'S IRRELEVANT.

Russ says something in which I've always believed. "Basketball is more than a game. It's a metaphor. For me, the basketball court was a place where I could bring my thoughts and my understanding of psychology,
physiology, mathematics, and, most important, human values."

On championship rings: "The Celtic players from those championship years all have rings that we designed together. On those rings are two words—teamwork and pride. I've never forgotten that the rings on my
fingers and the rings on the fingers of guys who were last off the bench are the same. From the day I first met my teammates and coach, I experienced something very different from what I had before: a real
family whom we all called 'team.'"

And finally: "I am frequently asked if I am a basketball player, and I always say no. One time, years ago, John Havlicek and I were standing in an airport when he asked me what I did that. I told him what I had
been telling myself all along: basketball is what I do, it's not who I am."

Russell Rule Number 1: Commitment Begins with Curiosity

When hesitancy is looking back at you in the mirror, you don't have true commitment. Commitment separates those who live their dreams from those who live their lives regretting the opportunities they have
quandered.

What separates the two types of people? Curiosity.

Some Russell rules on curiosity:

1. Good questions are more important than easy answers. Millions saw apples fall from trees, but it was Newton who asked why.

2. Curiosity is a process. Life is a journey, not a destination. Create a driving force in your life, understand that force, and always challenge it through self-evaluation and questioning. When your curiosity asks you to take risks, take them.

3. Curiosity should be a verb, not a noun. Curiosity is connected to doing, to solving, experimenting, trying, failing, and then accomplishing. Russ says the game was static when he took it up at age 9. For instance, no one was supposed to jump except for a rebound. After Russ graduated from high school, he joined a high school all-star team on which the coach pretty much let the players do what they wanted. He, in effect, "gave me the green light to explore the game that so fascinated me."

Among other things, Russ began experimenting with jumping under various circumstances, and that led to his blocking prowess.Russ gives an almost clinical explanation of teamwork. "What I found with the Celtics
was a set of other players who were brilliant and accomplished. I had to learn about their thinking, their temperaments. For me to play my best game, I had to discover theirs."

In one way, his curiosity got the better of him. He became fascinated with Cousy, to the point where he began acting like Cousy, leading the break with Cousy trailing behind. Russ soon realized he was taking
Cousy out of his game (although no one else mentioned it—Cousy, Red, other players, writers); and the quick outlet pass was born so Cousy could begin performing his magic as quickly as possible, with Russell
doing what he did best by filling a lane.

End of synopsis of Chapter One.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

RUSSELL RULES: INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER 1: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity." Empty Re: RUSSELL RULES: INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER 1: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity."

Post by sinus007 Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Sam,
Thanks. That was something.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

RUSSELL RULES: INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER 1: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity." Empty Re: RUSSELL RULES: INTRODUCTION AND CHAPTER 1: "Commitment Begins with Curiosity."

Post by beat Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:02 pm

sam wrote:Among other things, Russ began experimenting with jumping under various circumstances, and that led to his blocking prowess.Russ gives an almost clinical explanation of teamwork. "What I found with the Celtics
was a set of other players who were brilliant and accomplished. I had to learn about their thinking, their temperaments. For me to play my best game, I had to discover theirs."

Sam
Absolutely love this tidbit. That last line speaks volumes "for me to play my best game, I had to discover theirs." Not to bash current all stars but no one can hold a candle to him.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Still the only book written by a non-business personality I keep in my office.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. What impresses me is that Russ's trait of being at least a play ahead on the court carried over to his thought processes too.

My intent is to post one "Russell Rule" a day—a new thread for each so that any discussion will be focused on just one rule.

Depending on what happens with the Red Sox and any wildness in Boston, I'll be looking forward to seeing the great man in person as his statue is unveiled on Friday.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down