It's about Time; Congratulations, Russ

4 posters

Go down

It's about Time; Congratulations, Russ Empty It's about Time; Congratulations, Russ

Post by Sam Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:13 am

What a sports weekend in Boston. The Red Sox parade at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday will deservedly get loads of press. Maybe less heralded, but at least as important in my eyes, will be the unveiling of Bill Russell's statue. It would be physically and mentally impossible for me to add to everything I've written about Russ, so I won't try.

Suffice it to say I'll be at City Hall Plaza well before the 2:00 unveiling this afternoon because I want to get good position. I don't care whether or not it rains. (Same for the parade tomorrow.) If anyone else will be attending, I'll be the one with the green Celtics cap. (That ought to narrow it down.)

Go Russ, and go Celtics!

Sam

P.S. For anyone who will be attending, you're well-advised to park on the periphery (say, in the Copley Square area) and spring for a round-trip taxi. Heck, Russ would pay for a taxi if your statue were being unveiled.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

It's about Time; Congratulations, Russ Empty Re: It's about Time; Congratulations, Russ

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:32 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4707843/stevens-excited-for-russells-visit

Stevens excited for Russell's visit
November, 1, 2013
NOV 1
7:45
AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

WALTHAM, Mass. -- When Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens flew here for his introductory press conference in July, he brought along on a weathered copy of Russell Rules, the book written by Celtics legend Bill Russell that details 11 lessons on leadership.

That book helped shape Stevens' coaching and leadership philosophies. What's more, Russell and his 11 championship rings symbolized the storied tradition of the team that Stevens was being tasked with restoring to title contender.

On Friday, Stevens hopes to meet Russell while the Celtics legend is in town for the unveiling of his long-awaited statue in City Hall Plaza.

"Obviously, he’s the greatest winner in the history of basketball [and] that’s played the game," Stevens said after practice Thursday, his eyes scanning the banners in the team's practice facility as he gushed about Russell. "He made a mark on this organization like no one else has. He’s won at the very highest levels in everything that he’s done. And I’ve never met him personally, I look forward to that tomorrow. As a kid growing up and a basketball fan, he’s one of the names that is forever right next to the winner and the way you’re suppose to play the game. Obviously, there's nothing but a great deal of respect out of this building for him."

A sculpture designed by local artist Ann Hirsch will be unveiled on Boston City Hall Plaza (President Obama got a sneak peek during a trip to town this week; see the video above). The Celtics will celebrate the moment with an All-Star cast of guests on hand as part of a speaking program that's scheduled as part of the event.

Stevens was asked if he'd pepper Russell with questions about coaching and leadership on Friday.

"I just [want to] tell him, I appreciate all that you’ve done to make this organization what it is," said Stevens. "And the continued support. I think it’s great that we’re putting a statue out front [of City Hall] in his honor."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

It's about Time; Congratulations, Russ Empty Re: It's about Time; Congratulations, Russ

Post by beat Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 am

Along with Havlicek they are the reasons I became a Celtic fan.

Still remember my first trip to the old Garden in the late winter of 73. Sunday afternoon game with the KC-Omaha Kings (featuring that little guard by the name of Nate "Tiny" Achibald) It was the ABC NBA game of the week and Chris Schenkel were doing the game. Saw them walking thru the lobby and went over to them. Now I was fully aware about Russell and autographs so I didn't even bother with that. Just walked up to him and said something like "Mr. Russell thanks for the years and I just want to shake your hand." Shoke hands and he walked off to do the game.

Have a great time Sam. Hope you can get some photos.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Beat it was somewhat disappointing.  They cancelled the ceremony.  Or, more correctly, they performed it for celebrities only, indoors (the status is outdoors), an hour before the originally scheduled 2:00 time.  The reason that was given was a concern about wind and rain.  I got there about 1:00, and, between then and now (Sunday, the next day), it didn't rain, there was no wind, and the daytime temperature was easily in the 60s.

Russ' statue was under a medium-sized tent; and, even though the ceremony had already been held indoors,  only photographers were allowed inside.  They developed a solid ring around the statue.  Fortunately, the statue must be at least 8' high, because all we spectators could see was the head.  Russ and Heinsohn made cameo appearances (maybe 10 minutes apiece, ostensibly to forestall a crowd mutiny.  Of course, we couldn't see them because of the photographers, and they didn't speak publicly.  And that was it!

After the photographers had run out of film, we lowlifes were allowed into the tent, where people busied themselves standing with the statue and being photographed by friends so it wasn't possible to get a photo of the statue without some bohunk hanging all over it.  Finally, after a solid two hours of being there, I managed to get a couple of photos of the statue, and I thought it really looked like Russ in uniform except that the statue is virtually bald and Russ wasn't virtually bald.

Unfortunately, given the anticipation I had built up, my conclusion is that Boston once again fell short when it came to honoring a man who, literally and figuratively, stood tall.

Stayed overnight and attended the Red Sox parade, which was super!  Waited 2 1/2 hours but the weather was very nice.  Fortunately, most of the key players (like Pedroia, Papi, Lester and Uehara) were on my side of the boats.  I have to go out now, but I'll write more on the Sox.

Sorry about last night's Celtics game.  I got to see some of it at a bar, but not the finish.  (Probably fortunate on my part.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:11 pm

A little more on the Duck Boat parade for the Red Sox. Sally stayed home and taped the entire 4 1/2 hours, and I went with a couple we have traveled with. I guess there were an estimated 2 million people there (I don't know how they arrive at those estimates.) We were in the first row on the corner of Boylston and Clarendon Streets—very good locations—and, after the Duck Boats had gone buy and we had shopped a little, we took a taxi back to our hotel, and our route paralleled the Charles River, so we got to see some of the action on the water too.

One really funny thing happened as we were waiting for our taxi to arrive. Right behind us was a woman in a bridal dress screaming that she had to get to her wedding.

Anyway, it was fun.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Just got in a bit ago from the Syracuse football game... was great to spend the afternoon with Marcus... those times won't happen much now. He's loving every minute. The other day he got to work with the SU mens team a bit in practice. Had to HIT the bigs with a big mat to simulate contact under the hoop. Said it was neat but he got banged around a bit. He's heading to the Virgin Islands over Thanksgiving with the women's team.  Told him to be sure to pack a couple pair a shorts !

Sorry the ceremony didn't go off as well as it should have. There was nice ovation for Russ at the game last eve between the first and second quarters......I sort of kept waiting and hoping someone as the cheering began to fade would yet out....." We love ya Russ!" ( like the guy that yelled it out for Cousy) that might have made it all the more special.

beat

Last edited by beat on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Beat,

You actually got your wish, but it was at the statue unveiling rather than at TD Garden. We knew he was in the tent even though we couldn't see him, and a guy yelled out, "We love you, Russ." Ordinarily it might have been a major moment, but we were all so teed off that it didn't even generate any applause.

Good for Marcus. I hope he enjoys the Virgin Islands.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:18 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:09 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Bob, thanks for the videos. Sam, sorry the ceremony was such a letdown.

My first impression of the statue itself is disappointment. He revolutionized the game defensively, so I'd rather see him coiled and ready to block a shot or reaching for a block or rebound. Or, to signify his impact both on and off the court, standing tall, proud, and confident, without a ball at all.

Instead, we get a view of him in some sort of triple-threat-type position. He was a fine passer, great offensive teammate, and capable scorer for someone who wasn't a good shooter, but that pose doesn't seem to me to get at what he was about as a player and a person.

I don't think the Michael Jordan statue in Chicago is very well done, but at least it's of an iconic Jordan pose, as are Kareem's sky hook statue and West's logo-like statue. Magic's shows him directing traffic on a fast break. Red's statue shows him on the bench with his cigar. All of those seem more appropriate than Russell's.

Maybe it will grow on me over time. Even if I'm not thrilled with the statue itself, it's great they gave him one.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Outside, I thought the statue was pretty good, although I would have preferred a pose in which he was bent, with his arms up in a defensive posture. That would have emphasized his humility, would have underscored his greatest signature, and would even have suggested one of his Russell Rules (and my personal favorite):"Invisible Man."

The only thing I found wrong with the status was this his head was close-cropped to the point of appearing bald. I thought the sculptor captured Russ' lower face and beard very well.

As I saw all the young people marching up to stand by the statue while proud parents took their pictures, I was almost overwhelmed by the fact that it was primarily a sightseeing attraction for them and they will forever be deprived of experiencing the majesty of this man for so long and in so many walks of life.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 pm

The BOLDS are mine.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/11/04/charles-barkley-kenny-smith-grateful-to-be-in-bill-russells-inner-circle/#more-57140

CHARLES BARKLEY, KENNY SMITH GRATEFUL TO BE IN BILL RUSSELL’S INNER CIRCLE
11.04.13 at 1:37 pm ET
By Justin Barrasso

The city of Boston and the Celtics honored Bill Russell this past Friday, unveiling a 6-foot, 10-inch, 600-pound bronze statue of the 11-time NBA champion. Though the man has more championship rings than fingers, the ceremony detailed Russell’s work beyond basketball. For those in Russell’s inner circle — including Charles Barkley and Kenny “The Jet” Smith — the discussion was focused on Russell’s impact on society.

“Most of us are too young to have seen him play,” said Barkley. “But for guys like myself who got a chance to be around him, you see what a remarkable person he is. We know him more a man than a player.”

Barkley and Smith, who are teammates on TNT’s extraordinarily popular “Inside the NBA,” both consider themselves very fortunate to be friends with the legendary Russell.

“He don’t talk to many people,” said Barkley. “So if you get on the list, it’s pretty cool.”

Smith was drafted by the Kings in 1987 and played a half-season for Russell, who was in his final stint as a head coach.

“I was his first-ever draft pick,” said Smith. “I was overwhelmed meeting him. I didn’t know what to say, I didn’t know whether to call him ‘Coach Russell,’ ‘Bill,’ or ‘Mr. Russell,’ and then my assistant coach was Willis Reed. I was in heaven. He taught me what teamwork was all about, regardless of winning and losing.”

Smith, who emceed the ceremony, did not concentrate on Russell’s blocked shots or rebounds. He looks at him as a whole man, one who inspired people around the world and broke racial barriers. Smith thinks of the man who served as his mentor.

Russell’s greatest strength, in Smith’s words, is “his ability to take a basketball moment and relate it to a lifetime experience. Something that my teammates always thought was going to be a punishment for me — sitting next to coach Russell on the team bus — actually turned out to be the best moment of my life.”

Barkley laughed when recalling the story of Russell making Smith sit next to him on one of the Kings’ long bus rides. “Kenny said, ‘Why’ve I got to sit beside you?’ And Bill said, ‘Because that guy’s a loser, that guy’s a loser, that guy’s a loser, and I don’t want you sitting with them.’ ”

Said Smith: “I sat next to him, on a bus ride or a plane ride, four hours a day. And if I went to sleep, he’d nudge me and go, ‘Sleep nights, young fella. Listen to what I’m saying.’ And I listened to all those stories. It’s a great feeling to know I was part of that. Not being Satch Sanders or Tommy Heinsohn or any other great players who played with him, I feel like I’m one of those.”

Barkley said he still cannot recall what originally brought him and Russell together.

“For some reason, we got attracted to each other and I started picking his brain,” said Barkley. “He always talked to me about life, never about basketball. I’ve been fortunate enough to have him as a mentor.

“He’s the funniest guy in the world,” continued Barkley, “but he’s not going to talk to you if he don’t know you. He’s probably got more stories than any person I’ve ever met in my entire life. I mean, they are the best stories. I told the story on the air when [Russell] got stopped by the cops. The cop started lecturing him, and he said, ‘Hey, hey, hey. I don’t want to hear that [expletive]. You can give me a ticket or a lecture, but you can’t give me both.’ ”

Barkley also made it known that he respected Bill Russell as a man, grateful for Russell’s mentorship, his great competitiveness, and how he changed how the world viewed a strong-willed, intelligent African-American.

“To accomplish what he accomplished under the circumstances,” said Barkley, “that’s remarkable. It’s easy to win when you’re traveling on private jets, staying at the Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons. But if you’re traveling by bus, staying in separate hotels, eating at separate restaurants, and you don’t become bitter or angry, that’s pretty remarkable.”

bob
MY NOTE: I did not know Kenny "The Jet" Smith was a Russell draft pick.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down