NBA tries to end costly ABA deal

3 posters

Go down

NBA tries to end costly ABA deal Empty NBA tries to end costly ABA deal

Post by k_j_88 Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Sources: NBA, Silnas negotiate

Updated: November 11, 2013, 3:13 PM ET
By Chris Broussard | ESPN.com

The NBA is engaged in settlement talks with Ozzie and Daniel Silna to end a contract that has long been described as "the greatest sports business deal of all time," according to sources close to the situation.

No agreement has been reached, but talks are ongoing.

The Silna brothers are the former owners of an old ABA franchise known as the Spirits of St. Louis. When the ABA merged with the NBA in 1976, the Silnas agreed to dissolve their team in exchange for a small percentage of the NBA's future broadcast revenue.

At the time, it seemed like an irrelevant concession by the league. But it's become a financial windfall for the Silnas. They receive 1/7 of the television revenues of the four ABA teams that were absorbed: the Spurs, Nuggets, Nets and Pacers. The NBA currently has $7.4 billion in TV contracts with ABC/ESPN and TNT.

The kicker in the Silnas' deal is that it goes on in perpetuity.

Last season, the Silnas, who bought the Carolina Cougars for $1 million in 1973 before moving the club to St. Louis, received a reported $19 million from the NBA.

Since the deal was reached in 1976, the league has paid the Silnas $300 million in TV royalties. Recently, a judge ruled that the brothers also have rights to Internet revenue.

Because the Silnas' cut diminishes the dividends of the NBA's 30 team owners, the league has long sought to settle the contract.

-----

Hah, I wonder why the NBA agreed to such terms.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

NBA tries to end costly ABA deal Empty Re: NBA tries to end costly ABA deal

Post by worcester Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:14 am

This REALLY made me laugh. Good for them.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 am

Just another reason for me to hate everything about the NBA. But one has to admit, they had plenty of foresight.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Sam, you make me laugh! Plenty of foresight indeed.

p.s. I had a long talk with MikeD from NP last week - first time in 4 years we spoke. He's doing just great and has become a scholar writing a seminal tract on Shakespeare's Hamlet. Mike found that the work was mistranslated from the old English. The young Danish Prince played an early version of basketball, and his quote actually was "To three or not to three?"
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down