Matty
tjmakz
jeb
steve3344
swedeinestonia
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was the move for Rasheed Wallace worth it?

Rasheed - deal or no deal? Vote_lcap63%Rasheed - deal or no deal? Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 12 ]
Rasheed - deal or no deal? Vote_lcap16%Rasheed - deal or no deal? Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
Rasheed - deal or no deal? Vote_lcap21%Rasheed - deal or no deal? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 19

Rasheed - deal or no deal? Empty Rasheed - deal or no deal?

Post by swedeinestonia Wed May 19, 2010 4:15 pm

So was the move for Rasheed Wallace worth it?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Rasheed - deal or no deal? Empty Re: Rasheed - deal or no deal?

Post by steve3344 Wed May 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Too early to tell.

What if from now on he plays like he did for most of the season and Orlando comes back and beats us in this series? Or we get by the Magic and he pulls a no-show in Finals?

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed May 19, 2010 4:25 pm

If he suits up, shows up and contributes to the lakers demise then yes. But dude was a human sandbag in the regular season.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 19, 2010 4:48 pm

With BBD playing as well as he is, if Rasheed doesn't play well, then he sits. The way Boston is playing now, they have enough talent to win without a contribution from Rasheed.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Hehe.

In the regular season Sheed said he was gonna bring it in the playoffs. Did he?

Will he continue to?

This is the time to say what you think before you have the correct answers at hand. Will Sheeds contract be worth it? Would it be worth it even if he just delivers in this playoffs (aka doing what he can do bring banner 18) even if he just plays "regular season" ball for the rest of his contract?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed May 19, 2010 5:11 pm

Man he is making some clutch shots at very very big times. If we get three good games out of him in a seven game series he is doin his job.

So far he is doing exactly what he said he was gonna do. Very strange and weird.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed May 19, 2010 5:35 pm

I dont like Sheed. Mostly cuz he was thenemy for so long and reminded me too much of "The Bad Boys".

On the other hand, bringing that paticuler game to Boston was more than okey dokey with me, i was excited, not as excited as i was when we brought in KG (and the badfinger video) but excited nonetheless, when the 70 wins talk was out there, i thought "with him, and if we're healthy, then yeah, maybe.." but Sheed pretty much didnt show up most the season, was he wrth the MLE during the reguler season? no. It'd be a tough argument to convince me he'd have been worth the LLE from november - mid april.

However, its April-June that matters and wether we win our final game of the season. Any deal that helps us win our seasons final game is worth it to me. The Sheed we've seen since mid april is letting me think we got a very good chance to finnish out the season with a final 'W, and if that turns out to be the case, yup, Sheed's deal was worth every penny.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 19, 2010 6:15 pm

At the beginning of the season, I felt that versatility would be the Celtics' unique calling card. Then guys started going down, and any hint of versatility gave way to ragtag survival mode.

In the past few games, the Celtics have finally carved out an identity. And a major aspect of that identity is—guess what—versatility. One great example is Tony's ability to give opponents a different look from any of three positions.

But there's no better example (in my opinion) of the versatility Davis and Sheed represented last night. I felt the major key to the game was the aggressivess the Celtics displayed at both ends. Sheed fit that mold when he hit that great three and played excellent defense at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Then he got called for his fifth foul, which meant he'd have play more cautiously. So Doc went with the other option (Davis), who had only four fouls on him. I think he felt that an aggressive Davis, with a low center of gravity to push Howard out (which he did to a great extent) was better-suited to the immediate need than a longer but foul-burdened Sheed. And, During the last minute, IF Doc had needed a long big who's an expeditor on offense, plays strong defense, and has a decent free throw capability, Sheed was rested and ready. Now THAT is what I call versatility.

I understand that Sheed struggled during much of the season. Was that somehow very different from the team as a whole? Remember my word "continuity?" Sheed, who was being looked at for big things, may have suffered from the lack of continuity more than any other Celtic, as he tried to find his niche on the second unit. One of my favorite expressions during that period was, "The present is not the future." I'm now paraphrasing that one: "The past is not the present." Those who want to relive the past are free to do so. I'm really too busy focusing on willing this team to six more wins.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed May 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Sam

It's down to that. Six more wins. Holy shitski.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed May 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Sheed has hit a couple of three's and his post defense has been good but his rotation defense is still poor and he is only pulling down 2 boards per game.

Yes he can help us win and we are better off with him than without him but overall i would have to say that he is still a disappointment to me.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed May 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I believe he has been a big help in both the Cleveland series and this one. I know it doesn't show in the box scores, but he is a presence out there, forcing guys to alter shots, has had a few blocks, and has been able to steal the ball from driving guards who carry the ball low.

With Perkins out last night, he and Glen Davis played well together. They were able to give KG a rest and still keep the Magic at bay. I know he didn't do much during the year, but, by the end of the playoffs we are going to be glad he was signed. My belief is that if he wins a title, he will retire. Too much work all year long to wait for May and June.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed May 19, 2010 11:15 pm

tjmakz wrote:With BBD playing as well as he is, if Rasheed doesn't play well, then he sits. The way Boston is playing now, they have enough talent to win without a contribution from Rasheed.

Completely disagree - and if you had been watching these playoffs - you would know how valuable Sheed has been.

Sheed is here for ONE REASON...and he is delivering toughness, defensive help, hard fouls, and clutch shots. He isnt here to be a great teammate, win congeniality contests, or anything like that. He is here to help win #18. So far so good.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed May 19, 2010 11:48 pm

mrkleen,

In my opinion Rasheed has had 4 good games out of 13.
He is not rebounding and plays defense with his arms, thus the foul totals.
In 13 playoff games he has 42 fouls and only 27 rebounds. (Has 0 offensive rebounds in the playoffs.)
When your team is winning, you can fall back on the 'helping to win a championship' statement, but I think Boston would still be in this position w/o Rasheed. BBD would step up with added minutes like he did in last years playoffs.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 am

Agreed he hasn't been stellar,but he has given Perk and KG valuable rest,he is 6'11"and were gonna need his size vs Lakers.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 am

Matty: Don't lump 'Sheed in with "The Bad Boys" Pistons of the late '80's, early '90's Mahorn, Rodman, Laimbeer etc. He came much later to Motown. He looks like he'll be able to give the C's something resembling what he was brought here to do to win another championship. He could pull a disappearing act at anytime, I realize that. He's a hard cat to figure. I don't feel he's worth the three year deal he got. He's 35 now and will be 38 at contract's end. Personally, I don't see him being with the C's in 2013. At some point, I think the Celts will have to part ways with him via a buy out. Some things broke right for the C's in this post season by NOT having to play Atlanta or Chicago. Both those teams would have atletically challenged the C's. I don't know what KG has found or what he's playing on, whatever it is, I hope it lasts until mid-June. R. Allen, Pierce, and Garnett are running on borrowed time. They know the window is closing. Hopefully, Pierce and Garnett can restructure or opt out and re-sign different deals, more fiscally flexible for the organization to pursue some of the upper-mid level free agents this Summer. Also, looks like Tony Allen needs to be resigned too!-MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 20, 2010 11:11 am

tjmakz wrote:I think Boston would still be in this position w/o Rasheed.

Again, could not disagree more. Sheed has hit big shots at big times - he is always getting a hand on the ball during drives (just because he doesnt come up with the ball - doesnt mean he didnt cause that steal or turnover) - and he is inside Howards head. That is all we need from him. We dont need big numbers, we need smart, veteran plays - and he is delivering exactly what we need from him.

There is no way the Celtics would be in the same position in the playoffs without Sheed on the team.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu May 20, 2010 11:23 am

mrkleen

I have no way of checking but I am reasonably sure many of his fouls have prevented a sure fire 2 points too. And with the woes from the line by Orlando and the narrow margin of the wins..........saying Sheed made no difference is just plain wrong.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 am

He has made a BIG difference in the last two rounds. He has hit timely shots that Davis couldnt hit and had very big stands on d.

And I wanted his frickn head in the reg season.

He can guard Bynum and he is giving Howard fits. His HANDS when he caught that Rondo pass on the baseline and got the ball secure and up to shoot and make a 3 at a crucial time...this guy has great great hands.

But all in all a puzzling guy
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 20, 2010 1:04 pm

beat wrote:mrkleen

I have no way of checking but I am reasonably sure many of his fouls have prevented a sure fire 2 points too. And with the woes from the line by Orlando and the narrow margin of the wins..........saying Sheed made no difference is just plain wrong.

beat

Beat - you should RE-Read what I posted.....we are in agreement, it is TJ that is saying Sheed makes no difference to the Celtics. Idea
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu May 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Mrkleen

Oh I read it and I was just ADDING to your rebuttle from another angle. But like you said that catch he made in the corner on a bullit pass that as Bob Uecker would say was "just a bit outside" not only to catch it but to have enough balance to get off a reasonable shot as I believe the shot clock was down, and then to make it! That shot alone was huge at the time. When you win by 3 anything that you do to help the team might make the difference.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 20, 2010 1:39 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I believe he has been a big help in both the Cleveland series and this one. I know it doesn't show in the box scores, but he is a presence out there, forcing guys to alter shots, has had a few blocks, and has been able to steal the ball from driving guards who carry the ball low.

With Perkins out last night, he and Glen Davis played well together. They were able to give KG a rest and still keep the Magic at bay. I know he didn't do much during the year, but, by the end of the playoffs we are going to be glad he was signed. My belief is that if he wins a title, he will retire. Too much work all year long to wait for May and June.

Rosalie,

I think you've summed it up perfectly.

My feeling is he's certainly helped in the playoffs, but is too suspect going forward. There's no way of proving or disproving that someone else could have given us the same results, but I'd like to find out next year. I hope he does retire so we can be done with him and move on.

A piece of the puzzle we could probably replace next year in my opinion.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu May 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Outside of religious reasons, I can't think of 1 player that has walked away and retired from the NBA with a guaranteed contract. Rasheed will be in the league the next 2 years to collect his $13+ million that is owed to him.

Rasheed is one that I can't agree with you guys on.
I think he is a lazy and slow defensive player. He doesn't rebound and commits too many fouls per minute.

NYCelt is right that there is no way of proving/disproving his importance to this Celtics run. Derek Fisher could win his 5th ring this year. I am pretty sure LA could have won those titles with someone else as the starting point guard...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 20, 2010 2:34 pm

tjmakz wrote:Outside of religious reasons, I can't think of 1 player that has walked away and retired from the NBA with a guaranteed contract. Rasheed will be in the league the next 2 years to collect his $13+ million that is owed to him.

TJ,

We can always hope (or hope we find a way to send him somewhere else)!

Glad to see you posting.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 20, 2010 5:49 pm

You may be right, but the wear and tear of the regular season was really showing on him, and he really just came here for a ring. Of course, there is the option of being able to make back some of that money he has given to the NBA this year!! (Just joking!). I just wouldn't be surprised to see him walk.
Just my opinion.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 pm

I will assume that when Rasheed has two more solid games against Orlando - and a couple of good games against the Lakers - that you guys will be first in line to give him his proper due?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next