Practice: Something Special About Stevens

+3
Sam
k_j_88
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Practice:  Something Special About Stevens Empty Practice: Something Special About Stevens

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4708238/practice-something-special-about-stevens

Practice: Something special about Stevens
November, 12, 2013
NOV 12 3:33 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Short a couple of bodies for his team's end-of-practice shooting drills, Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens used the opportunity to get up a few shots as the team went through a breezy day-after-game session at HealthPoint.

"I like exercise, so I wanted to get a little bit of exercise," said Stevens. "It wasn’t great exercise nor was it great shooting."

Don't be so hard on yourself, Coach. Stevens hit five jumpers in a row from the elbow at one point before going cold. The 37-year-old said it's hard to keep up at his advanced age.

"Well, fatigue hits, that’s the problem," said Stevens. "It’s only one minute at a time, and by 30 seconds my right arm hurt."

Luckily for Stevens, he's a better coach than shooter and his players continue to rave about what he's done in getting Boston on track after an 0-4 start. Riding a four-game winning streak now to get back to .500, his charges shoveled much of the credit to him for giving the team a fighting chance in every game this season.

"There’s something special about that guy, man," marveled Brandon Bass. "He’s a rookie coach, but he’s very knowledgeable and he’s picking up things pretty fast."

A couple other quick hits from Boston's light afternoon workout:

STEVENS' POKER FACE: Stevens playfully reflected on his reaction (or, more specifically, his lack thereof) after Jeff Green's game-winner in Miami on Saturday. Reminded how he barely flinched, while veteran assistant coach Jamie Young raced onto the court in celebration, Stevens joked, "You can’t hit Gerald like that, Jamie. Gerald is 31-years-old, you can’t just tackle him from behind." Turning the attention back to himself, Stevens noted, "I know this sounds crazy, this is my job.... My wife sent me a text that said, ‘Congratulations, you beat the Heat. Now you have to beat human nature.’ It doesn’t change, it doesn’t stop. You just have to keep it going. I’ll smile when we’re remembering the good times after the season and I’ll try not to get too down the tough ones during the season. We’ve got tough ones ahead, and hopefully a couple good ones ahead. We’ll keep fighting, keep moving." Bass noted how, while referees reviewed the play, Stevens calmly prepared the team for the possibility of overtime had Green's foot been on the 3-point line. Stevens is seemingly always one step ahead.

WALLACE THE OPTIMIST: The Celtics lost four straight and now have won four straight. So, is the glass half empty of half full? Count Wallace among the optimists. "We're a lot better than the first games we played, but the first games were expected from guys first time playing together, new coach, new system," said Wallace. "I think the effort was there, [but] there was a lot more selfishness, guys not trusting each other, not understanding each other, not knowing how to play with each other in the first couple of games. But the effort was there. We just continued to play and get that trust, and it's starting to show now."

bob
MY NOTE:  Gerald Wallace has been this team's biggest public critics and pulled no punches when saying so.  If he's starting to feel good about it...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Practice:  Something Special About Stevens Empty Re: Practice: Something Special About Stevens

Post by k_j_88 Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I don't think they were playing selfish, they just weren't executing and were still learning how to play off of one another on offense and defense. I just think Wallace was frustrated at the time because they were on a losing streak.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Practice:  Something Special About Stevens Empty Re: Practice: Something Special About Stevens

Post by Sam Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Brad Stevens and Red Auerbach are/were very different types of coaches (to say the least).  Red was fiery, whereas Brad is restrained. Red would celebrate (I heard that, when he died, the bottom fell out of the Cuban Stock Market), whereas Brad believes in not getting too high or too low.  Red would hammer some players and coddle others, whereas Brad seems to exercise reason with all his players.

But they both had (have) two things in common:

1. They tailored their approaches to the strengths of themselves and of the players, taking advantage of existing talents and encouraging improvement when warranted.

2. Regardless of how things were (are) going, they never, never, never took (take) their eyes off the road ahead.  The word that immediately comes to mind is "persistent," although "irrepressible," "indefatigable," "resolute" and "relentless" would also work.

I happen to believe that the latter talent was the number one reason why Red's teams continued to persevere and win titles year after year after year with scarcely a misstep.  I also believe that, given the right player mix, Brad's teams could pull off something similar.  

Based on their coach's reaction to their loss to the Celtics, it seems that the Heat players are prone to losing focus after one good season and a "Thanks Ray" season.  That would never happen to Red's and Brad's teams.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:54 pm

A team laden with inflated egos is certainly at risk of under-performing.

But I've always viewed Miami as a very flawed team. They just have the talent to make up for it.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:56 pm

KJ,

I agree that egos can ruin a talented team, but saying Miami is a flawed team with the talent to make up for it sells them short.

LeBron has turned from a great player who disappears in the fourth quarter to unarguably the best player on the planet and a clutch performer. Spoelstra doesn't get the credit he deserves for defusing the ego issues and making a cohesive unit from a flawed roster without a significant post presence at either end. Although they haven't done it so far this year, their title runs have been based on playing excellent team defense.

I root for them to lose, I despise Wade because he's a dirty, arrogant, entitled jerk, I'll always hold the "not two, not three, not four..." celebration against LeBron, and I don't want to see the colluding attempts of stars to win titles rewarded. But LeBron, Spoelstra, and their defense deserve respect.

Back on the original topic of the thread, Stevens has so far shown that he's earned the respect of his team and has the capability to create a team that is more than the sum of its parts. It's ridiculously early to make any definitive assessment, but he's off to a great start and showing that he's the right coach for the rebuilding process.

It will be interesting to see how Stevens handles a roster with multiple superstar egos, but if Ainge can get the roster to that point down the road, building a culture of selfless play and the primacy of team play will be more than half the battle.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Outside

Not sure there is a bigger ego in the NBA than our little diminutive injured point guard. Although he has not played............(and that might be a very big blessing in the long run) he has gotten to see what has worked on the court and more importantly what hasn't.

It appears that Stevens has got Rondo ego in check and the guy hasn't even played 1 minute for him.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Rondo probably has somewhat of an ego, but not as much as what the media blew it up to be. It was really an attempt at character assassination on their part.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:39 pm

"somewhat" is being way to kind

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi,
It'd be really interesting how BrSt handles RR's re-insertion into the current system.
Also, how Rondo goes about it.
Both have kind of warm-up in the form of RR sitting on the bench and very actively participating in every game.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:08 pm

I have been one of Rondo's harshest critics as I felt he sometimes sabotaged the team by playing for his stats rather than for the team, and by walking the ball up the court, pounding the ball forever at the top of the key, never staying in front of his man, etc.

If Stevens can bring him on board and get him with the program, than Stevens should be awarded coach of the year honors and Rondo, considering his talent, could at least be in the running for MVP.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm

beat wrote:Outside

Not sure there is a bigger ego in the NBA than our little diminutive injured point guard.
Beat,

I specifically worded that part of my post to talk about Stevens dealing with multiple superstar egos because, like you, I think he already has to deal with one.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down