INTERESTING TAKE - Boston and Phoenix could be a match for a trade involving Jeff Green

+5
Berlin-T
worcester
bobheckler
Sam
9 posters

Go down

INTERESTING TAKE - Boston and Phoenix could be a match for a trade involving Jeff Green Empty INTERESTING TAKE - Boston and Phoenix could be a match for a trade involving Jeff Green

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 am

SB NATION

By Kevin O'Connor  @KevinOConnorNBA on Jan 27 2014, 9:22p 155

Could Jeff Green be on the move?

Adrian Wojnarowski was a guest on SiriusXM radio this morning and discussed the NBA's fast-approaching trade deadline on February 20th. One of the players mentioned was Boston Celtics small forward Jeff Green. Wojnarowski said that he thinks Green will be traded by Boston before the deadline or during the offseason.

Wojnarowski was in Boston the past weekend for Friday's game against the Thunder and Sunday's reunion with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Even though he was here to write his tremendous story about Truth and KG, there is a chance that he found out some new information about possible trades in the upcoming weeks.

Sure, there's always a possibility that Wojnarowski became aware of some rumblings that Green may be dealt while spending three days in Boston. After all, this is Woj, the man that breaks nearly every trade in the NBA.

The 27-year-old Green hasn't developed as well as the Celtics thought he would when they traded for him in 2011, and his inconsistencies may be something they want to rid themselves of -- especially when he's owed over $9.2 million the next two seasons.

Despite Green's issues, he's still a very good player who can only help when he's in a reserve role. It's a no-brainer for teams that need a stretch-forward to have interest in Green.

There's a lot of talk about Boston revisiting a deal with Houston for Omer Asik, but their fervent owner, Daryl Morey, has consistently said that any deal involving Asik is highly unlikely.

Not too many other organizations would be able to meet Boston's demands for Green, but there is one team that often goes unnoticed:

Phoenix.

At 26-18, the Suns are in seventh place of the stacked Western Conference, and need to bolster their lineup after losing one of the NBA's rising stars, Eric Bledsoe, to an unfortunate knee injury. Even with him, they are weak at the small forward position, and could use a player like Jeff Green.

Phoenix has Emeka Okafor on their roster, who has an attractive expiring contract valued at a whopping $14.5 million dollars. Okafor could be the answer for the Celtics' desire to open up even more salary-cap space this summer. And with six potential first round draft picks over the next two years, the Suns have plenty of assets to deal.

Interestingly, Woj wrote about Okafor in a column tonight, expressing Ryan McDonough's readiness to deal him and draft picks for a player that can help their chances in the playoffs.

McDonough worked in the Celtics organization as an assistant to Danny Ainge, so they have obviously forged a close relationship over the years. It only makes sense that they could be trading partners in a deal that could send Green and a contract filler (like Keith Bogans) to Phoenix for Okafor and a first round draft pick.

But Wojnarowski also mentions that the Suns would be willing to "absorb a veteran player on a short-term deal," just as long as the contract doesn't cripple their salary-cap space in the near future.

Gerald Wallace comes to mind, especially considering Bulls.com writer Sam Smith said last week that Boston could be looking to deal Jeff Green in a package deal with him. He is most certainly an overpaid player, but his contract wouldn't handcuff a franchise.

Wallace is owed over $10.1 million in 2014/15, but could be used as an expiring contract in a trade during the 2015/16 season. For a team like Phoenix and their generous amount of cap space (they have the 29th lowest payroll this season, and owe only $36.2 in '14), Wallace's contract could actually be a valued commodity two seasons from now, just like Okafor's is now.

Maybe Danny Ainge has a partner in Phoenix, and could bundle Green and Wallace together, which would open up over $19 million in cap room this offseason. In return, the Celtics could receive Okafor's expiring contract, though a future first round draft pick would likely be necessary to complete the deal considering Green's youthful talent.

In both of these suggested trades, the one involving Wallace being less likely, the Phoenix Suns would strengthen their team, which could make them a legitimate contender when Eric Bledsoe returns after the All Star break. And for the Boston Celtics, it would be another move intended to at build towards a bright future. Some fans may even call it "tank mode," but is that really fair to suggest when the Celtics have already lost 17 of their last 20 games?

Back to top Go down

INTERESTING TAKE - Boston and Phoenix could be a match for a trade involving Jeff Green Empty Re: INTERESTING TAKE - Boston and Phoenix could be a match for a trade involving Jeff Green

Post by Sam Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:44 pm

The wheels are definitely in motion.  I just can't set a lot of store in a trade involving both Wallace and Green, although I guess the Suns could absorb their salaries without going over the cap.

I've had the feeling that one of the challenges the Celtics have been facing is the uncertainty as the trade deadline approaches.  It just has to wear on the players—some more than others.  For a lot of reasons, it will be good when that day has passed and the Celtics' focus can be 100% on playing basketball.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

INTERESTING TAKE - Boston and Phoenix could be a match for a trade involving Jeff Green Empty Re: INTERESTING TAKE - Boston and Phoenix could be a match for a trade involving Jeff Green

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:46 pm

sam wrote:The wheels are definitely in motion.  I just can't set a lot of store in a trade involving both Wallace and Green, although I guess the Suns could absorb their salaries without going over the cap.

I've had the feeling that one of the challenges the Celtics have been facing is the uncertainty as the trade deadline approaches.  It just has to wear on the players—some more than others.  For a lot of reasons, it will be good when that day has passed and the Celtics' focus can be 100% on playing basketball.

Sam

Sam

sam,

The Yin-Yang of the Trade Deadline. The opportunity for improvement and restructuring for the future vs the distraction of feeling (or, in the case of this year, knowing) that another shoe is going to drop and that shoe might be you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Bob,

Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that pro basketball players are human (except maybe Havlicek). They put on their pants one leg at a time just like the rest of us. It just takes longer to pull them up.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Sam, FYI, today I put my pants on both legs at the same time. I still can't make free throws.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 pm

worcester wrote:Sam, FYI, today I put my pants on both legs at the same time. I still can't make free throws.

Hope you did it sitting down!
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes, I tried standing up and fell on my butt.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Jeff Green and Wallace are a combined $19M/year, and Okafor is $14M. Another $5M to come from their end.

And I'm not sure I like the idea of moving the only SFs for a guy that's only been less than impressive.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 pm

EXPIRING CONTRACT NOT AN ASSET.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:01 pm

112288 wrote:EXPIRING CONTRACT NOT AN ASSET.

I wonder how much space would be opening then. It'd certainly give Boston a great deal of room to sign some really good players. But I don't see any top SFs that would come to replace JG, GW.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm

$19 million and change.

SF can be had via a trade, free agency and the draft.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am

112288 wrote:$19 million and change.

SF can be had via a trade, free agency and the draft.

But what top of the line SF is going to want to come to this situation? I doubt Ainge could find a better SF on the market than what he has now. And draft prospects are never a guarantee (this draft looks promising, and there will be some stars, lets hope Ainge actually drafts better this year).

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:39 am

You cannot think of now or next year. You have to think 2015-16.

This team is currently a shell of what it will be next year and the year after. When other pieces fall into place.....free agents will be a coming!

The team is currently being ripped apart and rebuilt. If we acquire a good center who is a rim protector either trade or draft along with Rondo-Sully - Bradley & center Mr. X, we will fill in a sf. That is an easy position to fill. 

Just keep in mind Hayward from Utah Jazz (x Butler).....he'll want to play for Stevens. Could get him via a trade that includes Kelly O and some draft choices or free agency.  Jazz are rebuilding and cannot afford Hayward at this time. They will want young cheap players and draft choices.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:53 am

Free agency is the last option for acquiring a top player, after a trade and the draft.

Many players acquired through free agency are overpaid. You're much more likely to get a signing like Josh Smith in Detroit (four years, $54 million) than a Paul Millsap in Atlanta (two years, $19 million). At that, Millsap knew he was underpaid and went with a two-year contract, and assuming that he continues to play well (very likely), he'll be closer to Josh Smith money in his next contract.

It's fine to leave the door open to a top free agent, and you can pick up role players through free agency, but put your trust in trades and the draft when it comes to acquiring a top player.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:17 pm

Funny ever time a wirter suggests that this player or that player is going to be traded it sets in motion all types of speculative ideas

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:55 pm

They have to think about this year and next year, not just about 2015-16. The pathway to contention, hopefully by 2015-16, will involve series of steps, many of which will occur this season and next. The rate of progress and the wisdom of steps being taken must be evaluated this and next season. The efficacy of draft picks and trades this and next season and post-season will be crucial to how well the team may be percolating by 2015-16. It won't all happen all of a sudden in 2015-16. I'm probably echoing Outside when I say that this is the tough time in the process. Hopefully 2015-16 will be reward time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:44 am

hmmm ... Green and Wallace for Okafor works in the realgm trade checker.

A trade with Phoenix helps with a long term rebuild plan. If the Cs are hoping for a quick turnaround, this would not help. There are a lot of protections on the picks owed to the Suns.

From realgm:
2014 first round draft pick from Minnesota
Minnesota's 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-13 in 2014, 1-12 in 2015 or 1-12 in 2016; if Minnesota has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix by 2016, then Minnesota will instead convey its 2016 2nd round pick and 2017 2nd round pick to Phoenix [Minnesota-New Orleans-Phoenix, 7/27/2012]

2014 first round draft pick from Washington
Washington's 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-12 in 2014, 1-10 in 2015, 1-10 in 2016, 1-10 in 2017, 1-10 in 2018 or 1-10 in 2019 or unprotected in 2020 [Phoenix-Washington, 10/25/2013]

2014 first round draft pick from Indiana
Indiana's 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-14 in 2014, 1-14 in 2015, 1-14 in 2016, 1-14 in 2017, 1-14 in 2018 or 1-14 in 2019 or unprotected in 2020 [Indiana-Phoenix, 7/28/2013]

2015 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 or 1-3 in 2017 or unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down