Rondo, Bass: Hopefully We Can Sign Chris Johnson For The Rest Of The Season

4 posters

Go down

Rondo, Bass:  Hopefully We Can Sign Chris Johnson For The Rest Of The Season Empty Rondo, Bass: Hopefully We Can Sign Chris Johnson For The Rest Of The Season

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/01/rajon_rondo_boston_celtics_roo.html

Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics rooting for Chris Johnson: 'Hopefully we sign him for the rest of the year,' says Brandon Bass

Print Jay King, MassLive.com By Jay King, MassLive.com

NEW YORK – The Boston Celtics haven’t done much right lately, but guard/forward Chris Johnson continues to turn teammates into fans.

Johnson scored 12 points Tuesday on 4-for-7 shooting (all 3-pointers) during a 114-88 loss to the New York Knicks, standing out as the primary source of light during an otherwise dark night. Since signing his first 10-day contract almost two weeks ago – Tuesday marked the first day of his second – Johnson has been one of Boston’s most reliable players, not just knocking down shots but also securing Tommy Points with his hustle.

“He is playing unbelievable,” Rajon Rondo said. “He’s playing very well right now. He’s shooting the ball extremely well. He is doing everything coach is asking from him and I am rooting for him.”

Before the game, head coach Brad Stevens singled out Johnson as the team’s best floor spacer right now, noting that he sprints to the corners like he’s supposed to and knows when to cut off post feeds and other actions. The 23-year old has done little wrong since joining the Celtics out of the D-League. He’s not a star, but NBA teams often find space for players who defend and hit 3-pointers.

Johnson was humble after his latest solid performance, crediting teammates for finding him open in transition. Reporters tried baiting him into self-praise, but he sounded hesitant to do so after his team took such a beating.

“It felt good (to take advantage of his opportunity), but we always want to win,” he said. “That’s our thing. For the most part when I’m on the court I just want to provide energy, work hard and try to play my role.”

Jerryd Bayless (sprained toe) returned to the Celtics bench Tuesday and Avery Bradley (sprained ankle) is expected back in another week or so, which could limit Johnson’s minutes.

But, said Stevens, “He’s playing like one of our best players right now. I’ve got to figure out a way to get more time for him.”

Johnson might have just nine days left. The Celtics could potentially sign him for the rest of the season, but could want to maintain roster flexibility with the trade deadline coming in less than a month.

“I’m a fan of him. I wish him the best. Each night he plays with us, practices with us, he shows a lot of heart,” Brandon Bass said. “Hopefully we sign him for the rest of the year.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Clearly, one of the very few bright spots the past 2 weeks.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rondo, Bass:  Hopefully We Can Sign Chris Johnson For The Rest Of The Season Empty Re: Rondo, Bass: Hopefully We Can Sign Chris Johnson For The Rest Of The Season

Post by dboss Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:28 pm

After trading Lee, Crawford and Brooks we needs an off guard to BU AB.

I do not know the upside here but Johnson makes perfect sense from a $$$$ standpoint.

Sign him for the remainder of the year and then work on getting a BU point guard.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Rondo, Bass:  Hopefully We Can Sign Chris Johnson For The Rest Of The Season Empty Re: Rondo, Bass: Hopefully We Can Sign Chris Johnson For The Rest Of The Season

Post by Sam Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm

One way to get more time for Chris would be to give him a shot at SF. He's only listed at 6' 6", 201 pounds, and Carmelo and Queen James might own him, but I'm wondering how Chris might fare as a swing man, especially against opposing SFs who aren't PFs in disguise.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:03 pm

He's one of the few guys that "plays to win" regardless of the situation.

We've been watching professional players regress beyond where they should be.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down