Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play

+3
k_j_88
beat
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play Empty Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 am

Johnson may not be retained despite strong play
February 3, 2014, 4:45 pm

Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play Byline-blakely-cdc

BOSTON — Chris Johnson has done just about everything a player on multiple 10-day contracts is supposed to do in order to stick with a team.

But that still may not be enough, at least not when it comes to sticking with the Boston Celtics.

As much as the Celtics like what Johnson has done so far, there's a very real chance his contract won't be picked up for the rest of the year when his current 10-day deal expires on Thursday.

You can count Danny Ainge, Boston's president of basketball operations, among those pleased with Johnson's play with the Celtics.

"But it's a complicated time of the year for us with the trade deadline coming up," Ainge told CSNNE.com. "We like everything about Chris. We're hoping to keep him around, but there's a lot more that prevents that from happening or could prevent that from happening."

The Celtics have maintained all season that they will not be luxury tax payers this season.

Boston is around $2 million below the $71.7 million luxury tax line now. And while signing Johnson wouldn't put them past that threshold, it would significantly cut into their already-limited flexibility if they were to engineer a trade between now and the Feb. 20 trade deadline.

If the Celtics stand pat or do little at the trade deadline, Boston may look to sign Johnson for the remainder of the season after the Feb. 20 trade deadline passes. But until then, Johnson will continue to work at making the most of his time with the Celtics.

Johnson has appeared in seven games for Boston, averaging 8.7 points while playing 24.2 minutes per game. In addition, he's shooting 45.7 percent from the field and 41.1 percent on threes.

"He's been fantastic and aggressive and just a really good addition," said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens.

Said Johnson: "For the most part when I'm on the court, I want to provide energy and play my role."

Johnson has been in this wait-and-pray mode before.

A year ago, Johnson signed a pair of 10-day contracts with the Memphis Grizzlies. He averaged 3.6 points and 1.4 rebounds per game in 12.8 minutes for the Grizzlies before Memphis decided to not sign him for the remainder of the season.

Disappointed at the time, Johnson's approach back then is no different than it is today.

"You gotta work hard, especially if you want to get here," Johnson told CSNNE.com. "You have to work hard; just keep working. Not knowing when an opportunity is going to come, but have faith and confidence in yourself when you're on the court."

bob
My NOTE:  I don't know when his second 10-day contract expires, but it certainly expires before the 2/20 trade deadline.  Danny is going to want to keep maximum flexibility, both on salary and on roster slots, until then.  I think his play will get him a spot on a team, I hope it will be on the Celtics after the dust settles.  The good news is that, with all the GMs focusing on "the big picture" a little fish like Chris Johnson might be overlooked, and we can get him back on 2/21.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play Empty Re: Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play

Post by beat Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Bob

what would be the minimun we can sign him at for the remainder of the year?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play Empty Re: Johnson May Not Be Retained Despite Strong Play

Post by k_j_88 Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:49 pm

To get rid of Johnson would be asinine.

He's one of the only guys that can just step in and produce regardless of the score/ flow of the game.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:13 pm

beat wrote:Bob

what would be the minimun we can sign him at for the remainder of the year?

beat

beat,

Vet minimum, pro-rated for the remaining portion of this season. I don't know how long he has been in the league, but here is a link to the chart:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 pm

So appears as he has played in the league a few games last year and that with 33 games left this season we would owe him at Vet minimum aprox $317,000 for the remainder of the season. We would still be about 1.7 Million under the cap but ........ that said if he was/is THAT good why hasn't he been noticed before now?

After the 20th if we have the room OK but might be not be in our best interest long term to sign him now.

I'm sure the wheels are spinning.

Get us a center first!

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Danny (and, I'm sure his advisors) is proving to be very good at juggling dollar figures and anticipating well. If there's a likelihood of not signing Johnson, that could be good news that suggests a lot of effort is being expended for a major trade (hopefully for a center). But I'll be surprised if Danny doesn't find a way to keep Johnson in the Celtics family—perhaps by signing him after the trade deadline, perhaps convincing him (wink wink) to sign with the Red Claws, etc. This appears to be one of the better kids to come into the Celtics' system in some time.

Go Chris! But not far!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:29 pm

All signs are pointing to a Trade.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Just as a point of information, Johnson's second 10-day contract expires at midnight tomorrow (Thursday, February 5).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Sam I think the Celts need a roster spot.

If they do not renew his 10 day contract then it would suggest a trade will be made.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 pm

We currently have 14 players on the roster:

Rondo, Bay Leaves, Pressey
Bradley, Bogans (yes, he's still on the roster)
Green, Wallace, CJ
Hump, Bass, KO
Sully, Joel Anthony, Vitor

So, we're still one under the max even with CJ.

I have to believe it is Danny planning, or at least desiring the flexibility to, take on more salary than he's giving up. It's not about the 15 man roster limit, since we'd have to do an unusual 3-1 to hit the max if CJ is gone (e.g. CJ is gone, we go down to 13 and that lets us gain two players more than we give up).

I cannot think of a player, like of a KG stature, where we'd be doing a 3-1 (I know that was like a 5-1, but the same idea. We're getting a player SO much better than what we're giving up that we need to gut our team to get him).

I agree with dboss, something big this way cometh. It's not fully formed yet, that's why Danny is so non-committal about CJ now, but it's not about slots, it's about money and that means trade.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 pm

bobh,

I don't believe that any trade before the deadline will take on more salary. We don't have a lot of wiggle-room. The two extra roster spots may be needed to take on extra players in the deal(s), not salary.

After the trade deadline, Danny can waive one of the new players and then sign Johnson for the rest of the season. That is, if we are still under the luxury tax limit and Johnson is better than that player.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 pm

I agree gyso. Johnson's salary is a pittance compared with opening up another 7% of the roster slots. I guess Danny's convinced that he has enough low-salaried players if he needs to throw additional salaries into a deal to make salaries match.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:26 pm

I agree that the roster spot is the bigger factor. It's all about Ainge increasing options and having flexibility when considering deals in the next two weeks.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm

The playoffs used to come closer than any other time of the season to giving me ulcers. Now it's the two weeks before the trade deadline.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down