Happy Birthday!

3 posters

Go down

Happy Birthday! Empty Happy Birthday!

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 am

Bill Russell, 80 years old today.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/russebi01.html

The stats don't tell his story, I'm going to leave all of you to do that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday! Empty Re: Happy Birthday!

Post by Sam Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 am

Happy birthday, Russ. I'm relieved to see that Basketball Reference puts your percentage of elevation to the Hall of Fame at 100%. I've been worried for years about that.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:38 pm

http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/basketball/basketball-teams/boston-celtics-memorabilia

Autographed pictures of the 1960-61 Celtics.

A ball with Russ and Red's autographs.

Other stuff as well.

FYI, for the memorabilia freaks among you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Here's a transcript of an interview I found with Russ:  Part I

A Few Moments With A Legend – Mr. Bill Russell
By Master Po on Sep 5 2007, 12:06p 36

TWEET  SHARE   SHARE  36  COMMENTS
A CelticsBlog.com Exclusive Interview
Part I
By Mitch Hylton (aka Master Po)

Happy Birthday! A_russel_sp

I have always had a tiny hidden desire to have an opportunity to share a few words or moments with a handful of famous people I admire. To name a few: Bob Dylan, Mohammed Ali, Bob Marley, Willie Nelson, and of course Bill Russell. These are people who I saw as remaining true to their own inner voice, while being under the outside pressures that many of us would crumble under if we were thrust into a position of fame. Somehow they stayed true to their beliefs it seems, and at the same time, changed the world around them in a positive and lasting way.  

Now don’t get me wrong here. I don’t mean a weird burning passion, desire or insane quest to track famous people down, and force myself into their private sphere for a minute, while waving a piece of paper, microphone or camera  in their face. I did not do that to Mr. Russell! I simply mean a small hidden fantasy that someday I might cross paths and talk with someone whom I have admired from afar. To have a chance to let them know that I have admired what they have accomplished, and what they represent to me and many others. To be able to ask this legendary person a few questions and have him talk to me for a few private moments is quite a rare opportunity that I never anticipated.

Well sometimes the winds of fate and synchronicity kindly blow your way and take you on a brief ride of good fortune. I had such a brief ride of very nervous pleasure last Thursday when I spoke with Mr. Bill Russell on the phone for 40 wonderful minutes. Shortly thereafter I had a mini-stroke and threw up.

Without boring you with the details of how exactly this interview came to be, or without describing to you in detail how a 49 year old man was almost too giddy to talk once he had "his big interview moment", let me say the following about this specific CelticsBlog article and the following Bill Russell interview:

1.) Jeff Clark – thanks again for letting me be a part of this blog site all these years and writing articles about my real passion – the Boston Celtics. Without this forum I would have not spoken to Bill Russell, and thus not had a permanent twinkle of real satisfaction dancing in my Celtic green tinted eyes.

2.) This whole interview/fate "thing" started when I was investigating something on the internet that all of you should take a look at as well. Bill Russell is conducting an adult fantasy camp for basketball fans in October in Las Vegas in which spots are still available! (http://friendsofbillrussell.com). When you go to the web site and look at the legends of the NBA that will be at this camp (unprecedented it seems), and when you read below in my interview about what Mr. Russell hopes this camp provides for the lucky participants, I think you will begin (like me) to try and desperately find way to pull the money together and get to Las Vegas. I am still trying!

I hope all of you CelticBlog members enjoy reading the following interview at least a fraction as much as I enjoyed conducting it. Mr. Russell talks about the Celtics and this upcoming season expectations. He talks about the big trades to bring in KG and Ray Allen, and was it the right thing to do. He talked about his best friend, Mr. Red Auerbach, which I found to be a wonderful portion of the conversation. I learned things I had not read before during this portion of the interview. He discussed the current status of the NBA, what he would change in the NBA if he could, and many other things. Again, I hope you enjoy reading it.

Hopefully, I convey to you as an amateur writer what clearly came across to me over the phone: Mr. Russell is as passionate, kind, straightforward, sincere and funny as you know him to be in public. He treated this very nervous professional Celtic fan living in Kansas (posing as a seasoned sportswriter) with patience and humor as I tried to ask him a myriad of questions. The world could use more Bill Russell’s, but I am grateful for the one we all still have, and for the moments I spoke with him.

The Interview:

Happy Birthday! Russell2

I started off by thanking Mr. Russell for taking the time to answer a few questions and letting him know of course how I was a huge fan. I am sure I sounded a bit like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney on a Saturday Night Live skit a few years ago.

Mitch/CelticsBlog (MCB) – Let’s first start with your current focus which is the: "Bill Russell and His Legendary Friends Adult Basketball Camp" being held October 17th-20th in Las Vegas at the Wynn Hotel. What is the main inspiration for you behind this camp?

Bill Russell (BR) – I just want to have some fun. I went to a camp last year and I had a good time, so I asked myself: if I were to have a fantasy camp what would be a real fantasy camp for me. And so, I called all these guys who are friends of mine and all of them said "when do you want me there?"

MCB -  The list of Legends at this camp is quite amazing – Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Julius Irving, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson and  others. Have "Legends" of this Hall of Fame stature ever been gathered at one basketball camp prior to this event? It seems unprecedented to have this "Legends" lineup for a group of Adult fans to be a part of. How did this all come together?

BR – Well like I said, I went about this with ones I would like to see, so I called these guys and they all said "when do you want me there" and that was their immediate response. So we said:  "let’s do it".

MCB – Well I can’t imagine a bigger list of NBA legends being assembled at one camp. I do want you to notice that as a die hard Celtics fan, as I read the list, I read off the Celtics names first.

BR – (Laughs the famous Bill Russell laugh) All of these guys are friends of mine and we have developed a friendship over the years. For example Larry Bird and Jerry West had the exact same response when I said what would you think about doing this. They said: "I’ll do that" (laughs again)

MCB – This sounds like an opportunity that adult basketball fans may only get once in a lifetime. Can you give me a quick rundown on what the lucky participants at this camp can look forward to during this three day event?

BR – Well, first of all we have this set up like a league and all these guys will be playing basketball, and at the same time giving out pointers. It is in Las Vegas at the Wynn Hotel. All these guys will be right there answering questions, giving pointers and the guys can ask them why they were so successful with their specialties and how this can relate to basketball players of all levels and not just superstars. The participants will get a chance to hear from these guys and know them on a first name basis and play some good basketball with them. Most of are kind of old though (laughs). The most important thing (as it is in most of my life) is to have fun.

MCB – I understand at the very end of the camp there is an opportunity for the participants to play golf with some of the Legends. I was wondering if Charles Barkley will be allowed to play golf, and will helmets be provided?

BR (again the BR laugh) – Charles and I have played together a few times and he always tells me "he wants me, he wants me" and I always say "bring it on" (laughs)

MCB – It’s quite a golf swing Charles has.

BR – It’s what we call… different.

MCB – I notice at this event that the camp allows the participants to bring along one additional guest to be a part of the evening dinners and events as an added bonus.

BR – yes, we are talking about fun-filled evenings. It’s one of the reasons we chose Las Vegas, as that is a place known for having fun, so I think we will have some fun.

(Again I strongly encourage any of you interested in attending an adult basketball fantasy camp to please go check this camp at the website for full details. Please be aware donations to my own Bill Russell Legends camp attendance fund are very welcome)

MCB – I want to switch gears a little bit with you and begin to ask you some questions about the Celtics.

As the Boston Celtics enter their 62nd Season in the NBA, and they now move forward without the great living presence of Red Auerbach, do you see yourself as the inspirational patriarch of the Boston Celtics?

I certainly know the Celtic fans see it from that perspective, and it seems obvious, at least from a fans vantage point, that the torch has been passed to you by Red? How do you feel in this regard and your role as Celtic leader?

BR – I would never consider myself the Celtic leader. I am just guy who played there and enjoyed it. I am a fan of course, but I would never consider myself in that role.

MCB – Let me put another way, I think when most people of the Boston Celtics the first person they think of is Red Auerbach and the second person that comes to their mind is Bill Russell.

BR – Only because I am the oldest (followed by the Bill Russell laugh)

MCB – No I don’t think that’s the only reason sir.

BR – I am just the oldest ex-Celtic (emphasis) – if you want to call it that. (he was just too humble to answer this question which I expected and respected his brief answer).

MCB – You’re too humble. It’s been almost 21 years since the Celtics raised a banner and yet last year, even though it was a tough season, the fans at the new Garden were still there, and despite this 21 year drought, the Celtics fan spirit still seems to be alive and well. What is your thought on Celtic fans over this long dry spell?

BR – The Celtics never give up for one thing (emphasis on "never give up" in his voice) and with the addition of the new teams and the way the draft is set up it is more difficult for a quick turnaround. It now seems we have made a major jump in getting that turnaround.

MCB – That leads to my next question as I am very curious as to your opinion on this subject. After waiting 21 years for a new banner to be raised do you view this new team now assembled by Danny Ainge, as having all the right physical pieces, and the only things missing perhaps is chemistry and time to gel with each other.

BR – Yep….I think this is going to be a fantastic opportunity….but I don’t think the fans should expect the team to jump out of the gate and win the first 5 games, or the first 10 games, or anything like that. It’s going to be a process where these guys learn how to play with each other. You see it’s very difficult to play with stars because you do not know how you should react when one star starts "doing his thing" (as we call it). So you we have three stars, who have been stars for many years, so we don’t know how they are going to react to each other. So that is a whole process in itself and it has to be a learned process.

MCB – Was it the time right in your mind to switch from a Celtic "youth movement" i.e. cash in most of your young talented and valuable player chips and go for an opportunity to win it all in the next 36 months. Was it really the right time to do that?

BR – Oh yes, when an opportunity like this presents itself you cannot hesitate. You must seize the moment so to speak and it was definitely the right moment and the right thing to do.

MCB – I have been reading a lot about the Celtics since the big KG trade on various NBA news sites and Celtic blog sites. I have ran across this underlying feeling by some fans that in the NBA today there is sense that you simply "buy teams" to quickly win more than you "grow teams" to win. How do you feel about that?

BR – It may seem that way but it is not accurate. When you buy stuff you first have to shop. You must first determine what is out there than can really help you. You just can’t buy players willy-nilly that may never help you. With the Celtics when you get a chance to get the guys they just got, well, you can’t miss that opportunity.  

There is more to come in the interview I wanted to break into parts. Why? Because I am slow and very poor at typing accurately, especially transcribing an interview off of a digital tape recorder. Bill Russell Part II – The Legend Continues is coming soon to a theatre near you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:47 pm

The Interview, Part Deux:

A Few Moments With A Legend – Mr. Bill Russell - Part II
By Master Po on Sep 6 2007, 12:15p 33

TWEET  SHARE   SHARE  33  COMMENTS
A Celticsblog.com exclusive Interview
Part II
By Mitch Hylton (aka Master Po)

Happy Birthday! Russell

MCB - I know that I have read somewhere (and I don’t know if it is true or not) that you spend some time mentoring some of the young Celtics. Is that true? How much time do you spend around the Celtics? Do you really get involved to that degree, and do you have any desire to get back into coaching in some form?

BR - I know all the kids and they are a great bunch of kids but I have no desire whatsoever to coach.

MCB – There were time last year when I wish that you did (nervous soft laugh by me).

BR – That is never something I wanted to do. I have had opportunities to, but that’s not what I wanted. In fact, when I coached the Celtics it took too many conversations to get me to do that. Red and I had twenty or more conversations about him wanting me to take it – to coach. And it was not something that I jumped at. It was almost like a last resort.

MCB – Well I would say that was a last resort that paid off. I am glad he convinced you to do it.

BR – (chuckles a bit) Well Red and I were soul mates.

MCB – Yes, I really can see that in many of the things you have said and written.

BR – Yes. In fact before I took the job, he made up a list, and I made up a list, and he told me that he was NOT hiring his replacement unless I gave him 100% approval. Which is kind of unusual I think? (I agreed with Mr. Russell) And what he said to me was that I had played too hard, and meant too much to this franchise to hire someone that would come in and start messing with you. A lot of coaches would have came in and said: "I am not Red Auerbach and this is the way we are going to do it" Well, we weren’t going to let that happen. Of course Red and I had a bunch of negotiated agreements of when and how many minutes I would play and everything. Things related to practice, travel, hotel and all kinds of things. So, most coaches would have considered some of those things a "challenge" (emphasis on challenge). Red and I said these were not challenges but rather just negotiated settlements so to speak, because Red had an enormous amount of integrity. One of the parts of his integrity was that he recognized that other people can have integrity also, and you must respect that. If you want someone to respect your integrity, you have to respect their integrity. So Red and I got along from the very first day.

(Comment: This part of the conversation confused me at first, as I thought for a moment that Bill Russell was talking about agreement(s) he and Red had while Red was coaching Bill, but I soon figured out he was referring to the agreements that would be required of a new coach, had Bill Russell not ended up coaching the Celtics himself, (i.e. the lists he referred to that he and Red drew up). The new coach would have to agree to things before he could become the coach of the Celtics. I am glad that bridge was never crossed, as I am sure all Celtic fans are glad as well)

MCB – Just as an outside observer in all the things I have read, all that love, and all that friendship, certainly shows through in all the pictures and all the film clips and every article. I would imagine that friendship was a wonderful gift to have.

(Bill had no response to this last comment of mine, and I suddenly felt like my comment was maybe a bit too personal, or maybe he suddenly felt uncomfortable by talking about Red, and his  close relationship with Red, with a stranger, so I quickly moved on. Hey, what can I say? I got caught up in the surreal moment of talking to the great Bill Russell talking intimately about the Legendary Red Auerbach. I hopefully did not cross any line here, but it was surreal)

MCB – Mr. Russell I hope you have time for a few more questions. Speaking of the days of old, my next question is related to the list of the Legends you have at this camp. When I look back at all these Legend players, and how they were good stewards and protectors of the game of basketball,

BR (interjects) – that is absolutely true

MCB (continuing the question) I was just wondering if you think today’s players are taking care of the NBA in the way you think they should to preserve the game for generations to come?

Happy Birthday! Bill_Russell

Well I’ll tell you I have enormous respect and affection for the players of today. I have made it a point to get to know them. They are a bunch of young guys that we can be very proud of. For example I don’t know if you know this but almost every player has a Foundation, at least all the high profile players, have Foundations that helps kids. They don’t publicize that much, and the NBA does not publicize that much. Also, we, as the NBA, do a tremendous amount of community service. Most of the players are dedicated professionals and respectful young men- almost model citizens. Now I will say that none of them aspires to sainthood (we both laugh). But they are young men that we can be proud of and to be associated with. They work as hard as players have ever worked.

Every year I go to the rookie orientation and I do not know anywhere where I have met a nicer bunch of young men. They keep coming to the NBA

MCB – It seems like even the young players such as Ryan Gomes, whom I just hated to see go, are going to be good stewards for the game.

BR – Yes, you take the class with Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade, well those three kids came in and they are the wave of the future and we can all be glad that they are young men who can be upfront and out front.

MCB – Speaking of young players what are you thoughts on Al Jefferson and his future in the NBA?

BR – Well, you know I never do that. I am one of the guys that I don’t think you have ever heard me make a prediction

MCB – No, not that I recall, no sir.

BR – I don’t do that because I am one of the old old old people and I can wait for them to play the games.

MCB – (laughing out loud) I love that answer, that’s very good (Bill chuckles in the background) That’s a nice answer. I just don’t think when Al Jefferson plays the games this year, I will not be watch his box scores if does well, as I really enjoyed watching him play as a Celtic.

BR – Oh good (he sounded genuinely happy that some Celtic fan enjoyed watching young players. That is how I took the comment anyway – but that was all he said about Al Jefferson.)

MCB – Have you had a chance to talk with Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett yet?

BR – No I haven’t, but I know both of them fairly well. I make sure I get a chance to meet all the young players and most of these guys are basically friends of mine. I go out of my way to get know all of them that I can from all the teams and not just the Celtics, because my approach to NBA basketball is that I want as many players (I don’t care what team they are on) playing their best. So, when we go to an NBA game we can be sure that we are seeing the best players in the world on a regular basis. I am always concerned about the quality of the game and that’s kind of important to me.

MCB – Again, you did a good job of leading me into my next question. I have a hypothetical question, and maybe you won’t answer this but I’ll ask it anyway. If David Stern, the NBA Commisioner were to call you tomorrow give you an opportunity to change one thing about the NBA game to improve the game what would it be?

BR – (about 10 seconds of silence) – Probably the size of the schedule.

MCB – To adjust the schedule?

BR – Yes, the reason I would do that is because I think the guys play too much.

MCB – 82 games plus the playoffs?

BR – Yes, and some of the kids from the other countries play in the off-season. I think that is one the reasons we have the amount of injuries we have.

MCB - As a selfish Celtic fan I always worry when I hear about Celtic player playing in a summer type-game situations and I want to say "can you save that for the season as I don’t want anybody to get hurt".

BR – Yeah, that is just what I am talking about.

MCB – In the last season with us only winning 23 games, in just terms of winning and losing (and not meaning the death of players or anything like that), was that one of the more difficult years for you to watch as a Celtic?

BR – No, not really, you I live my life almost according to the Alcoholics creed: One day at a time. Some days are tough, and some days are OK, so you take them as they come, and always ALWAYS do the best you can.

MCB – I appreciate that answer. It sounds like something my late father would say so I do appreciate that answer.

I have lots more questions as I could talk about the Celtics all day with you but I do not want to be disrespectful of your time. I am however trying to convince my wife to give me permission to come out to your camp but that is a tough chore.

BR – (chuckles) I’d love to see you.

(Comment: At this point I then shared a story with Mr. Russell regarding a conversation that I had with my wife about me attending this Legends camp. This in turn elicited a very nice hard laugh and appreciation from Mr. Russell. I want to keep that part to myself for my own private memory, but I have it on tape and it is something I will always treasure (thanks Jeff Clark!))

russell_rings_260.jpgI told Mr. Russell once again how appreciative I was of him taking the time to answer questions, and how honored I was to speak with him. I told him that I wished we could talk Celtic basketball again, because in Kansas there are not many people to talk with about Celtic basketball (he again laughed). He proceeded to tell me that he has some Celtic friends/fans in a small Kansas town (which I won’t mention). I asked him if he ever came to Wichita, Kansas and this was his great answer which shows how much he loved winning:

BR – You know the first basketball tournament we ever one at San Francisco we played Wichita State

MCB (silly me) – Back when Wichita State actually had a good team?

BR - (laughs a little) Well, uh yeah – we had a lot of fun with them (we both laugh).

MCB – In other words, I don’t think you lost?

BR – (laughs again) – Uh, no that wasn’t the situation (laughs).

MCB (Speaking of Kansas) Do you think JoJo White is in game-shape to play back up PG for the Celtics this season?

BR – Uh no, I see JoJo quite often, in fact I see a lot of the Celtics quite often, and JoJo, like the rest of us may look like his in shape but……..

I asked Mr. Russell (in a very awkward, somewhat embarrassing and nervous manner which I will not disclose to you guys) that if the Celtics were leading the Atlantic division at the All-Star break if he and I could talk again. He graciously agreed. I will not hold him to it, as I think that would be imposing too much on this fine man’s time, but it was very nice of him to agree. I told him I was nervous and he said "Don’t worry about it" He said:  "I’ll make you deal, you don’t be nervous and I won’t be nervous" I said you have no reason to be nervous. We both laughed. I was completely in awe of this person and he just made me laugh about being nervous and showed what a gracious person he is.

We said goodbye and my dream conversation was over. Just like that……just like that.

I just want to say in summary four final things about this story and interview.

1.) I have no follow-up act to this!! And even if I did, how could I top Bill Russell anyway. Thanks Jeff Clark for the space to write this and for your help.

2.) Bill Russell re-energized me about the Celtics this year, and in just being a lifelong Celtic fan – Thanks Mr. Russell.

3.) If you have ANY inkling that you might want to attend an adult fantasy camp then I encourage you to go check out Mr Russell’s Legend camp. I want to go so bad, but I cannot it appears.  I hope some of you can go:  http://www.friendsofbillrussell.com

4.) Long live the Boston Celtics and long live Mr. Bill Russell.

Peace

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm

Oldest ex-Celtic, huh? I guess so, if Sam Jones hadn't had his 80th birthday months ago and Bob Cousy weren't at or approaching his mid-80s.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Let's not forget Frank Ramsey or Bill Sharman or Tommy Heinshon. And definitely not Jungle Jim Luscotoff.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down