k_j_88
NYCelt
dboss
14 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2014 NBA Draft - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by dboss Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:20 pm

I saw a list of players that have declared for the draft.  But I forgot where I saw it.  If anyone has the list please post it.

I started this post so that our draft comments could be consolidated under a single thread.

If possible please try to add your comments here.

So my mind has been spinning around.

With Parker declaring for the draft the big board is loaded.  I have read articles by top NBA executives and some scouts that indicate that this is not a deep draft.  As I look at this, I see a very deep draft of quality players.  And there are a few that could be transformative players.

The mocks drafts have projected different players going to specific teams but none of them seem to contemplate what a particular team needs.

Danny Ainge has stated what we already knew.  This team needs a rim protector and a finisher (go-to-guy)  There may be several go to guys in this draft but the only one that stands out to me is Parker.

I have been daydreaming about different scenarios.  I think there is only one definite thing that will happen on draft night.  Parker will be the # 1 pick.  We have a 10% chance of being the team that makes the first selection.  Those are not very encouraging odds.  At the same time I have been remembering how badly more recent drafts have turned out for us and it seems only fair that the Celtics finally get a break.  

Here are some of my pipedreams

The Celtics luck out and get the # 1 pick and draft Parker

The Celtics want to draft Embiid and they trade up to acquire the young promising center

The Celtics fall in the draft because the lottery is rigged and we end up with the 6th overall pick.  The Celtics use the 6th pick to acquire the kid out of Indiana Vonleh.  

The Celtics trade their pick in a blockbuster deal that brings.....???

The Celtics fall out of the top 5 and draft the PG out of OKC...The Celtics have decided to part ways with Rondo and Smart provides a young and very promising replacement.

The Celtics trade there first # 1 pick to Philly for their top 2 2nd round picks and a # 1 pick next year (Philly has 4 2nd rounders).

The Celtics get the 4th pick in the draft and decide that Julius Randle is too good to pass up.

The Celtics get the 3rd pick in the draft and cannot pass on Wiggins.

The Celtics dropped to 8th and select the energetic PF Aaron Gordon

with their 2nd pick in the 1st round the Celtics select another PF  (Pick em)

"   " the Celtics select a PG...pick em
"   "The Celtics Select a SF....pick em
"   "the Celtics select a PF....pick em
"   "The Celtics draft a center...pick em if you can find one

Ya see?  There is no way to handicap this draft.  The Celtics have so many options to consider

If we cannot land Parker, Embiid or Wiggins I would take Vonleh and with the 2nd pick I would take the best player available with an eye towards getting a shooter.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Early entry list

http://nbadraft.net/2014-early-entry-list

I can't disagree with anything your said there.

I would not be surprised if Ainge makes a big play for Love using the lotto pick , Sully and maybe Green as cogs in the deal.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:30 pm

That is something that some of the pundits have been saying but that move does not specifically address the 2 needs specified.

Also, I think Love loves LA

Love is a excellent scorer and rebounder but I do not see him as a go to guy. And he is definitely not a rim protector let alone a solid defender.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Oh and thanks for posting the early entry list
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Dboss,

Thanks for once again bring this thread to the top of the list and emphasizing that it would be helpful to have ALL draft-related items posted here.  There may be some that would seem important to be given their own thread, and there's nothing wrong with that.  But it would perform a real service if as many as possible draft-related items could be posted here so as to make it as easy as possible to related them to one another.

Thanks again,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Parker is a very intriguing pick.

PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley
SF: Green
PF: Parker
C: ?

Of course Ainge would need a center, but Parker is currently listed as a PF. That'd be one athletic starting 5. Rondo would have another viable offensive option to pass to.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54 pm

sam wrote:Dboss,

Thanks for once again bring this thread to the top of the list and emphasizing that it would be helpful to have ALL draft-related items posted here.  There may be some that would seem important to be given their own thread, and there's nothing wrong with that.  But it would perform a real service if as many as possible draft-related items could be posted here so as to make it as easy as possible to related them to one another.

Thanks again,

Sam

Dboss and Sam,

I agree. I made it a sticky so it will be easy to find.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:57 pm

gyso

Thanks for handling.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:13 am

dboss wrote:With Parker declaring for the draft the big board is loaded.  I have read articles by top NBA executives and some scouts that indicate that this is not a deep draft.  As I look at this, I see a very deep draft of quality players.  And there are a few that could be transformative players.
The point that Jerry West and others were making is that none of these guys will transform a team quickly. West acknowledged that some of the guys in this year's draft may ultimately wind up being very good, but his point is that it will in most cases take years for that to happen, when it happens at all.

I think West was reacting to the overblown hype about some of these guys, such as Andrew Wiggins being hyped as the next NBA superstar before he'd played a single college game and the guaranteed first pick in the draft. Having been through so many seasons and so many drafts as a GM and an evaluator of talent, West was pointing out the unrealistic expectations being put on the players in this draft. There isn't any LeBron who will make a big impact immediately. The best to hope for would be something like Anthony Davis or Paul George who makes a big impact after 2-3 years in the league, and it's also reasonable to expect that some of the guys at the top of the draft, perhaps even among the anointed Wiggins, Parker, and Randle, will be considered a bust down the line.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:08 am

Outside

I guess we should look at group as a group of prospects. There may still be a hidden gem or two that will exceed expectations.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 am

Here's ESPN's Chad Ford's Mock Draft 4.0, as of 4/23/14:

With the Boston Celtics positioned fifth in advance of May's draft lottery, Chad Ford's Mock Draft 4.0 pegs Boston to select Arizona power forward Aaron Gordon.

A snippet from Ford: "The team would love to get their hands on [Joel] Embiid, as he would help them with one of their biggest needs. But Gordon is intriguing here. He's a hybrid forward, but his athleticism and motor allow him to thrive at both the three and the four defensively. He adds toughness and does all the little things coaches love."

With pick No. 17, Ford picks Switzerland's Clint Capela, a 6-foot-11 power forward.

A snippet of analysis: "he Celtics could make a long-term move with their second pick. Capela has NBA length and athleticism (think Serge Ibaka), but he's pretty far away from being an NBA player right now."

bob
MY NOTE:  So, with a draft that's supposed to be oh-so-deep, Ford thinks we're going to use a #17 on a player that is, in his words, "pretty far away from being an NBA player right now"?  How stupid would that be?  If Danny has a deal set up for either Jeff Green (possible) or Gerald Wallace (unlikely) then the Aaron Gordon pick makes sense.  Otherwise, we have other, bigger needs than at 3 or 4.  In fact, those are probably our two areas we have the least amount of concern.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Parker is a very intriguing pick.

SF: Green
PF: Parker
C: ?

Of course Ainge would need a center, but Parker is currently listed as a PF. That'd be one athletic starting 5. Rondo would have another viable offensive option to pass to.

KJ

KJ,

If I were GM & coach, and based on the parts we have, if a miracle happened and we got Parker my opening day '14 - '15 lineup would be...

SF: Parker
PF: Sullinger
C: Olynyk

I think Parker is going to be the brightest prospect to come along at SF since Durant.

Regards

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Bob, How is it possible that anyone would think our first draft pick would be a power forward and then our second pick would be another power forward? Does that writer get paid to put digits to keyboard? How is that possible?

NYCelt - I'm with you...if we can't get Embid, yes Jabari starting at the 3 would be magic for us.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 pm

New mock today from CBS sportsline

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/expert/gary-parrish

5. Boston Celtics

Noah Vonleh, PF, Indiana: Vonleh was the rare bright spot for an all-over-the-place Indiana team. He basically averaged a double-double in 26 minutes per game, and his upside is too good for him to go much lower than this. (Previous: 5)

17. Boston Celtics ((via Brooklyn))

Cleanthony Early, PF, Wichita State: That 31-point, seven-rebound effort against Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament literally made Early millions of dollars. He was the best player on that court on that Sunday afternoon in St. Louis. (Previous: 31)
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Vonleh and Early are very good prospects, but I can't imagine anyone even predicting we would take two power forwards.  What are we supposed to do, field a team with 14 power forwards and a point guard?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:46 am

NYCelt wrote:Vonleh and Early are very good prospects, but I can't imagine anyone even predicting we would take two power forwards.  What are we supposed to do, field a team with 14 power forwards and a point guard?

NY,

That is what it is looking like, except we will be 13 power forwards and TWO point guards. You forgot Pressey. (LOL)

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 am

NYCelt wrote:Vonleh and Early are very good prospects, but I can't imagine anyone even predicting we would take two power forwards.  What are we supposed to do, field a team with 14 power forwards and a point guard?

well no one gets serious about mocks until the lottery.

just interesting to see where some of the "experts" have players falling (and the movement of it all over time).

better to see the entire mocks to see which players could be there whenever we pick, IMO.

using the CBS draft...I would go:

5. Vonleh over Gordon because of his length and reach. If we end up picking a PF, all things being equal might as well be the taller one.

17. hood and Young both gone here.....I go Anderson or McDaniels here then.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:12 pm

gyso,

I stand corrected; 13 and 2!

I guess that's good, otherwise we would have a 7 footer at the point whenever Rondo is out.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:06 pm

current combined mock draft rankings:

1 SF Andrew Wiggins 6-8
2 C Joel Embiid 7-0
3 SF Jabari Parker 6-8
4 PF Julius Randle 6-9
5 PG Dante Exum 6-5
6 PF Noah Vonleh 6-10
7 PG Marcus Smart 6-4
8 PF Aaron Gordon 6-9
9 SG Gary Harris 6-4
10 SF Doug McDermott 6-8
11 SG Nik Stauskas 6-6
12 SG James Young 6-6
13 SF Dario Saric 6-10
14 SF Rodney Hood 6-8
15 SF Kyle Anderson 6-9
16 PG Tyler Ennis 6-2
17 SF T J Warren 6-8
18 PF Adreian Payne 6-10
19 PG Shabazz Napier 6-1
20 PF Clint Capela 6-11
21 SF Jerami Grant 6-8
22 PG Zach LeVine 6-5
23 PG Elfrid Payton 6-3
24 C Jusuf Nurkic 6-11
25 PF Cleanthony Early 6-8
26 SF K J McDaniels 6-6
27 SG P J Hairston 6-6
28 SF DeAndre Daniels 6-8
29 SG C J Wilcox 6-5
30 C Mitch McGary 6-10

31 SF Glenn Robinson III 6-6
32 PG Vasilije Mlcic 6-4
33 SG Jordan Clarkson 6-5
34 PG Semaj Christon 6-3
35 PG Deonte Burton 6-1
36 PG Jahil Carson 5-10
37 PF Jarnell Stokes 6-8
38 PG Nick Johnson 6-2
39 SG Bogdan Bogdanovic 6-6
40 C Walter Tavares 7-2
41 SG Jabari Brown 6-3
42 PF Patric Young 6-9
43 SF LaQuinton Ross 6-8
44 PF Isaiah Austin 7-1
45 SG Devyn Marble 6-6
46 PF Dwight Powell 6-10
47 PG Russ Smith 6-0
48 PF Johnny O'Bryant III 6-9
49 PF James McAdoo 6-9
50 PF Cory Jefferson 6-9
51 SG Spencer Dinwiddle 6-6
52 SF Thanasis Antetokounmpo 6-7
53 SF Melvin Ejim 6-6
54 SG Jordan McRae 6-6
55 PG Keith Appling 6-1
56 PF Khem Birch 6-9
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 02, 2014 1:11 pm

As of 4/30:

Goodman's Mock 2.0: Exum, Warren for C's
April, 30, 2014
APR 30 1:35 PM ET
By ESPNBoston.com

ESPN Insider's Jeff Goodman provides his mock draft 2.0 Insider and has the Boston Celtics taking Australian guard Dante Exum at No. 5 and N.C. State forward T.J. Warren at No. 17. A snippet from each selection:

• Exum: "The Aussie is a mystery to some degree, but he has the size and athleticism that will blow teams away. Could he wind up becoming the point guard that would allow Danny Ainge to pull the trigger on a deal involving Rajon Rondo?"

• Warren: "The Celtics need a wing who can score, and Warren has proved he can put the ball in the basket as well as just about anyone."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Vonleh is listed as Pf with some length and athletic skills

He looks to be A 2 to 3 yr project just like so many of the one and done prospects.

If we fall out of top 3 maybe we trade down or we trade a pick for a player.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue May 06, 2014 5:05 pm

In one writer's opinion Embiid drops to 5 (and to the Celtics, providing we stay at 5):

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/blakelys-nba-mock-draft-30-embiid-green?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

1. Milwaukee: Andrew Wiggins, SG, Kansas (=) — Tremendous athlete, above-average defender, has too much talent and potential to pass on.

2. Philadelphia: Jabari Parker, SF, Duke (+) — The medical reports on Joel Embiid's back will factor heavily in what the Sixers do with the No. 2 pick.

3. Orlando: Dante Exum, PG, Australia (=) — Exum's length paired with Victor Oladipo's strength and toughness gives the Magic a dynamic backcourt of the future.

4. Utah: Julius Randle, F, Kentucky (+) — The Jazz go with the safe pick, add one of the more NBA-ready players in this year's draft.

5. Boston: Joel Embiid, C, Kansas (-) — For the second time in three years (Jared Sullinger, 2012), the Celtics take a player who drops because of back concerns.

6. Los Angeles Lakers: Marcus Smart, G, Oklahoma State (-) — Would prefer Exum, but Smart isn't a shabby consolation prize.

7. Sacramento: Noah Vonleh, F/C, Indiana (=) — His rebounding and defense provides nice compliment to DeMarcus Cousins' game.

8. Detroit: Aaron Gordon, F, Arizona (=) — Relies on athleticism and energy to make an impact, both areas of need for the Pistons.

9. Cleveland: Dario Saric, SF, Croatia (=) – Good ball-handler who can play multiple positions on the perimeter.

10. Philadelphia (via New Orleans): Doug McDermott, F, Creighton (+) — Strong showing at pre-draft combine should solidify his lottery pick (top-14) status.

11. Denver (via New York): Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse (=) — They desperately need a pass-first point guard and Ennis is the best in the draft.

12. Orlando: Nik Stauskas, SG, Michigan (-) — Just imagine Magic fans, a younger J.J. Redick with better ball-handling skills.

13. Minnesota: Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State (=) — With Rodney Hood and James Young still around, Timberwolves go with the best two-way player.

14. Phoenix: Rodney Hood, SF, Duke (-) — Talented lefty with great shooting touch, excellent mechanics.

15. Atlanta: James Young, SG/SF, Kentucky (-) — Hawks pass on size to add a much-needed upgrade at the small forward position.

16. Chicago (via Charlotte): T.J. Warren, SF, N.C. State (+) — Tough, gritty kid who can score and defend at a high level - Tom Thibodeau's kind of player.

17. Boston (via Brooklyn): Kyle Anderson, G/F, UCLA (=) — Athleticism not great, but basketball smarts and overall feel for the game are off the charts.

18. Phoenix (via Washington): Jusuf Nurkic, C, Bosnia (-) — At some point the Suns have to add size to all those stretch 4s and 5s they have.

19. Chicago: P.J. Hairston, SG, Texas Legends (-) — Bulls have to feel good getting lottery-pick talent in the late-teens.

20. Toronto: K.J. McDaniels, SF, Clemson (+) — Raptors could use more size, athleticism at the small forward position.

21. Oklahoma City (from Dallas): Clint Capela, F, France (-) — With a 7-4 wing span, Capela has the potential to be a better-than-average rim protector.

22. Memphis: Zach LaVine, G, UCLA (+) — Grizzlies add a player with tremendous potential, with no pressure to play him right away.

23. Utah (from Golden State): DeAndre Daniels, F, UConn (+) — Look for his stock to continue to rise leading up to next month's draft.

24. Charlotte (via Portland): Bogdan Bogdanovic, SG, Serbia (=) — Streaky shooter, but his size (6-6) and knack for getting his hands on balls defensively a plus for the Bobcats.

25. Houston: Jordan Adams, SG, UCLA (=) — Playoffs proved to the Rockets that you really can't have enough guys whose strength is shooting the ball.

26. Miami: Adreian Payne, F/C, Michigan State (=) — Eight-time All-Star Chris Bosh gets an understudy at the "stretch" 4/5 position.

27. Phoenix (via Indiana): Jerami Grant, F, Syracuse (=) — A small forward that runs the floor well and has a 7-3 wing span at this point in the draft has to be taken.

28. Los Angeles Clippers: Cleanthony Early, SF, Wichita State (+) — Does a lot good things but nothing great, which blends in well with the Clippers' deep roster.

29. Oklahoma City: Shabazz Napier, PG, UConn (-) — Thunder snatch up a proven winner who is also the best point guard still on the board.

30. San Antonio: Kristaps Porzingis, C, Latvia — The lithe 7-footer shows promise, but may not come to the NBA immediately.

A. Sherrod Blakely serves as Comcast SportsNet's NBA Insider. Read more from Sherrod here, or follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Of course these mock draft things are complete off the charts wild guesses, but...

If we were to walk away with Embiid and Anderson it will have been one heck of a night.

In Blakely's scenario, I could also justify going for Shabazz Napier instead of Anderson in oder to get some excellent depth at PG (sorry Phil Pressey).

Unfortunately, I think Blakely's all wet and Embiid is going #1, followed By Parker and Wiggins, or #2 behind Parker.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed May 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Noah is a 6 10 PF but I think (as does danny) that he can play center. He has the length and the body to fill out.

If we fall that far I think we should draft him.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 08, 2014 12:07 pm

It's NFL draft day!

...just sayin', for the record.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down