Josh Smith fantasizes about playing with Rajon Rondo again

5 posters

Go down

Josh Smith fantasizes about playing with Rajon Rondo again Empty Josh Smith fantasizes about playing with Rajon Rondo again

Post by 112288 Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:05 pm

CSNE

Dan Feldman

BOSTON – Nine years ago, Rajon Rondo and Josh Smith were roommates at Oak Hill Academy.

They watched film together. They walked to the gym together for extra workouts together. They played games together.

Could they team up again in the NBA?

“The conversation comes up,” Smith said. “We always tell each other how surreal a moment that would be, for us to be able to reconnect again in that realm. With the different free agencies that we both have, it could be far-fetched, but it could be possible, too.

“I’m always optimistic. I’m always thinking different scenarios. It could happen, but who knows?”

Smith said he and Rondo talk frequently and vacation together, but he adds, he’s happy with the Pistons and Rondo is still making his mark with the Celtics.

But if it were to happen, what would work?

The Pistons have previously shown interest in Rondo, and there also has been Smith-to-Boston buzz. So, either player could swap teams.

If they were to join forces in Boston, how about Smith for Jeff Green and Gerald Wallace this summer? Then, the Pistons should have the cap room to make that deal, accepting Wallace’s toxic contract as a tax for upgrading – in age, fit and contract status – from Smith to Green.

Or if the duo got together in Detroit, a sign-and-trade centered around Greg Monroe for Rondo could work. The Pistons would surely have to include more, but that would give the Celtics a player five years younger to make a cornerstone of rebuilding.

Rondo becomes a free agent in 2015, and the Pistons are reportedly trying to trade Smith. So, really, the reunion could occur in any city.

Back to top Go down

Josh Smith fantasizes about playing with Rajon Rondo again Empty Re: Josh Smith fantasizes about playing with Rajon Rondo again

Post by 112288 Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I think that this is a real possibility that the both of them play together, however I think the Celtics get Smith and not the other way around.

WHY?

1) Without Rondo, the Celtics become a rudderless ship...Monroe or no Monroe.

2) Rondo could squeeze Danny's Parker rolls and say...hey I'll stay but you got to get Smith or I'm outta here.  Danny would have no choice but to try and get a trade done unless he has a young up and comer point guard that he drafts this year or trades for in the summer.

3) Could become a multiple deal where not only we get Smith but we get Monroe as well for Green...maybe Sully or KO.

Back to top Go down

Josh Smith fantasizes about playing with Rajon Rondo again Empty Re: Josh Smith fantasizes about playing with Rajon Rondo again

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:36 am

112288 wrote:I think that this is a real possibility that the both of them play together, however I think the Celtics get Smith and not the other way around.

WHY?

1) Without Rondo, the Celtics become a rudderless ship...Monroe or no Monroe.

2) Rondo could squeeze Danny's Parker rolls and say...hey I'll stay but you got to get Smith or I'm outta here.  Danny would have no choice but to try and get a trade done unless he has a young up and comer point guard that he drafts this year or trades for in the summer.

3) Could become a multiple deal where not only we get Smith but we get Monroe as well for Green...maybe Sully or KO.

Do I understand you correctly? Are you saying the deal might be Smith + Monroe for Green + maybe Sully and/or KO?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 am

Bob,

Green for Smith is a no brainer for Detroit salary differential alone says why.

On first blush, to get Monroe for your center barring a Ashik trade makes sense as he is 6'11" and 23 years old, but you have to give them back a positional player so it could be Sully, maybe Bass, maybe KO. Just thinking of one of many  possibilities if the trade expanded to include multiple players.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:07 am

Just say "No!" to Josh Smith in Kelly Green!!

lol! 

Monroe may be available this summer without trading Rondo for him.  Can he be the rim protector everyone is clamoring for?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:18 am

gyso,

Not at 0.6 blocks per game.  Perhaps, out of Drummond's shadow, Monroe might become more of a rim protector, but it's difficult to project him as a true intimidator.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 am

GYSO,

You always make my day.  No I would prefer not to have Smith as I think he is a whiner but Rondo may squeeze Danny's Parker House rolls to get him on the team to keep him happy.

Monroe is not worth Rondo but Sully, KO, Green?  Who knows...but you would have to give them some regarding same position back.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35 am

Sam,

Monroe slides between PF and C and many factors come into play when determining blks. As being so young perhaps the coaching staff is more interested in developing other aspects of his game first and not blks. Perkins blks were up and down per year, but he was a monster in the paint doing other things well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Monroe is a decent rebounder but not a rim protector. His biggest value in the post is on offense. He'd be an upgrade at the center position (who wouldn't), but he's not an ideal fit.

As to the main topic of this thread, "fantasize" is the operative word because a fantasy league is about the only place a deal for Smith makes sense. Ainge didn't accumulate assets and set a master plan in place in order to get Josh Smith as the centerpiece of their frontcourt. I consider Smith as a more productive Sidney Wicks. I have no idea why anyone is taking this seriously.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Outside,

I'm not. I just like using that Stevens video clip.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Gyso,

I'd say this is a great topic to use that clip. It makes the argument against Smith more succinctly than I ever could.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down