swedeinestonia
kdp59
dboss
9 posters

Go down

Josh Smith Released By Detroit Empty Josh Smith Released By Detroit

Post by dboss Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:39 pm

That was a surprise.

Chicago, Portland, Memphis and LA Clippers could use an upgrade at the SF spot.

After he clears waivers watch the sharks swimming around his carcus.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Josh Smith Released By Detroit Empty Re: Josh Smith Released By Detroit

Post by kdp59 Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:45 pm

nah....no way!!!

is this Arpil 1?

seriously?

holy cow!!

what was Detriot thinking here?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Detroit had opportunity to move Josh Smith to Sacramento for Carl Landry and Jason Thompson in summer, but passed on the offer. Twitter @WojYahooNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.XMJakSdb.dpuf

LOL..was Dumars still running things then?

so

Will old chuck it up from 3 end up with Rondo or Howard?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Did he not have a rather big contract?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:23 pm

yeah like $28M in the next two years (after this one).

they are using the stretch provision reportedly to make it a $5m hit over 5 years.

talk about NOT wanting a guy NEAR your roster!!

probably end up with Kobe...LOL
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Rumor has it that the Mavs are interested.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:10 pm

I guess that other teams could feel that they could benefit from adding Smith to their teams, but his release with so much money still owed to him should be a big red flag for all the other teams even if they will likely be able to sign him inexpensively.

As a Cs fan, I hope that they are not interested enough to even call him.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Wide Clyde,

The C's are dumping salary. I doubt he even gets a phone call.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:51 pm

kdp59 wrote:nah....no way!!!

is this Arpil 1?

seriously?

holy cow!!

Adrian Wojnarowski: Detroit had opportunity to move Josh Smith to Sacramento for Carl Landry and Jason Thompson in summer, but passed on the offer. Twitter @WojYahooNBA - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.XMJakSdb.dpuf

so

Kdp,

No, it's SVG running the complete show.

Joe Dumars, Stan Van Gundy. Same same.

The timing, coming so soon after Master Po's anti-Danny diatribe is ironic Could you see Danny doing something as head-scratching as this? We cringed with the Wallace contract but Crash has pleasantly surprised many of us and we all knew that was the price for getting Brooklyn's picks. We might have choked a bit but it was a coherent strategy/move. We might not have liked it but we understood it. Does anybody understand this move by SVG?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Let's not Blame Dumars for what Stan Van Gundy did.

Worse thing Dum-ass did was draft darko, lol.  

The 2 things I hate most about Van Gundy (1) I cannot stand his voice and (2) he needs to purchase taylor made suits to fit his alligator arms.  There is no excuse for a gutt ( I mean  a guy) making that much money to dress so poorly.

It is quite understandable that josh did not get along with Gundy and visa versa.  Josh is close friends with other well know divas like dwight Howard.  And him and Rondo played together.  So there you go.  Dwight told josh that van gundy is an a-hole so he already had a bad perception about him.

Still, to eat that much salary is mind blowing.  I do not see it that different from danny eating Wallace's contract (he does not play for the Celtics often and he gets paid )

If i was a betting man I would put money money on Dallas.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:52 pm

bobheckler wrote:
kdp59 wrote:nah....no way!!!

is this Arpil 1?

seriously?

holy cow!!

so

Kdp,

No, it's SVG running the complete show.

Joe Dumars, Stan Van Gundy.  Same same.

The timing, coming so soon after Master Po's anti-Danny diatribe is ironic  Could you see Danny doing something as head-scratching as this?  We cringed with the Wallace contract but Crash has pleasantly surprised many of us and we all knew that was the price for getting Brooklyn's picks.  We might have choked a bit but it was a coherent strategy/move.  We might not have liked it but we understood it.  Does anybody understand this move by SVG?

bob

like I had said earlier, SVG must have wanted Smith no where NEAR the rest of his team.

to a lesser extent what the Celtics did last year with sending Bogans home.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Rajon would love to play with Josh as would Dwight. Sure glad Danny doesn't have to deal with Rondo pressuring him to pick up Smith.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:03 pm

It seems baffling that Detroit didn't trade him. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that no one wanted him without Detroit surrendering lots of draft picks to make up for taking on his poor performance and bad contract, SVG wouldn't part with the draft picks, and no one would take him without the sweetener of the draft picks.

Waiving Smith with around $37 million left on his contract (guesstimating $9 million left this season plus $28 million due the next two seasons) is a whole different deal than waiving Bogans would have been for the Celtics. (Although telling Bogans to stay away while still paying him felt sort of like waiving him, the Celtics didn't actually waive Bogans. He was eventually traded to Cleveland, who traded him to Philly. Philly waived him and owed him nothing, because at that point, the rest of his contract was non-guaranteed.)

Unless Detroit made a deal with the devil, no one will claim Smith on waivers. If a team did that, they would assume the remainder of Smith's contract, and Detroit would owe him nothing more.

It is likely that someone will pick him up once he clears waivers. My understanding is that whatever that team agrees to pay Smith is deducted from what Detroit has to pay him. So Detroit won't be on the hook for the entire amount left on his contract, which I'm sure SVG is counting on to mitigate the financial hit they will take.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:01 am

Detroit is reportedly using the stretch provision on Smiths final two years , so the cap hit will be about $5.4M per year for the next FIVE years (after this one in which they take on all his current salary).

with the soon to be expanding salary cap, it won't be much of a hit for them. and obviously SVG felt it was very worth it.

sometimes you improve something by deletion.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:26 pm

It's called addition by subtraction.

It would be fascinating if the LA Lakers picked up Rondo's summertime friend. It would send a clear message to Rondo that LA wants his services dearly.

The thing about Smith is his extraordinary talent. Back when he was terrorizing the Celtics for Atlanta (if I recall correctly he nearly decapitated Paul Pierce - accidently on purpose?), he seemed capable of singlehandedly taking over games. It proved to be all about the Benjamins, though. Even Gerald Green was a better man, keeping his eyes on the prize, as it were. Now Smith is a footnote to history.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down