POST GAME - INDY PACERS - AWAY********PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY****HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN

+2
Berlin-T
6 posters

Go down

POST GAME - INDY PACERS - AWAY********PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY****HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN Empty POST GAME - INDY PACERS - AWAY********PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY****HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm

PLEASE DONATE TODAY  - CELTICS SPONSORED - HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN

1-844 - ICANHELP OR 

WWW. HORIZONSCHILDREN.ORG

JUST $10.00 - CAN MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE AND PUT A SMILE ON A CHILD!

CELTICS FALL IN CLOSE BATTLE WITH FIRST-PLACE PACERS

WEEI

By Jackson Alexander 

Apparently, the Celtics were exactly what the Pacers needed.

After losing four straight games, Indiana (47-17), the creme of the crop in the Eastern Conference, returned to the friendly confines of Bankers Life Fieldhouse to snap its worst losing streak of the season. The Pacers (30-4 at home) outslugged Boston, 94-83, on Tuesday night. The Celtics (22-42) two-game winning streak came to an end — it was only their second winning streak since Dec. 16.

David West tossed in a game-high 21 points, and received help from Paul George (12 points), George Hill (12 points) and Luis Scola (11 points).

Jared Sullinger scored 13 of his team-high 17 points in the second half. Kris Humphries posted another solid game with 15 points and nine rebounds, and Chris Johnson chipped in 14 points off the bench.

WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE CELTICS

Non-Humphries starters: Humphries got next to no help from the other four starters. Brandon Bass, Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green and Jerryd Bayless combined for 34 points, but shot a putrid 11-for-43 from the field. Rondo (4-for-15), Green (3-for-15) and Bayless (1-for-6) were the worst offenders.

Shooting: It’s next to impossible to beat the best team in the Eastern Conference shooting 36 percent. That’s exactly what Boston on Tuesday night as it finished 32-of-89 from the floor. Additionally, the Celtics finished 3-for-18 from the 3-point line.

WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE CELTICS

Offensive rebounding: The Celtics mounted a second-half comeback because of their work on the offensive glass. Boston collected offensive 19 rebounds, 11 in the second half. Sullinger contributed most prominently to the cause, snagging seven rebounds of the offensive variety. In just seven first half minutes, Sullinger scored four points and grabbed two rebounds.

Humphries: Facing another dominant center (Roy Hibbert) one game after bumping down low with double-double machine Andre Drummond, Humphries again responded with a big game. Humphries followed up his 20-point, 11-rebound performance with 15 points and nine rebounds, and kept Boston’s head above water when no other Celtic was contributing offensively. Hibbert had an uncharacteristically quiet night with just six points and nine rebounds.

Johnson: I’m comfortable saying that Celtics’ fans infatuation with Chris Johnson has worn off. He’€™s gone from one of the stories of the year, earning two 10-day contracts as an undrafted rookie free agent to just another average role player in the last month. But Johnson recreated a piece of that two-week magic on Tuesday, posting his first double-digit point game since Jan. 9. Johnson tied a career-high with 14 points, and finished 6-for-8 from the field.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rapid Reaction: Pacers 94, Celtics 83

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Rapid reaction after the Indiana Pacers defeated the Boston Celtics 94-83 on Tuesday night at Bankers Life Fieldhouse:

THE NITTY GRITTY
David West scored a game-high 24 points on 11-of-13 shooting, while Lance Stephenson added nine points and five rebounds and was a team-best plus-19 overall in plus/minus. Andrew Bynum added eight points and 10 rebounds over 15 ½ minutes off the bench in his Indiana debut. Jared Sullinger scored a team-high 17 points with nine rebounds (seven on the offensive glass) in a reserve role, while Kris Humphries registered 15 points and nine rebounds. Chris Johnson added 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting while providing energy off the Boston bench.

TURNING POINT
Despite trailing by as much as 15 with 15 ½ minutes to play in the game, the Celtics rallied within a point on two occasions in the fourth quarter. The Pacers answered each time with immediate baskets. It was still a one-possession game with under five minutes to play, but the Pacers got a Stephenson layup and a Roy Hibbert jumper to push their lead to a more comfortable seven-point spread (83-76) and Boston never got closer than five the rest of the way.

LOOSE BALLS
Boston shot just 35.2 percent, but hung around thanks in large part to 20 offensive rebounds. ... Boston had nearly as many boards on the offensive glass as they did on the defensive side (21). ... The Pacer shot 54.8 percent overall but 16 turnovers helped the Celtics stick around. ... Kelly Olynyk finished 1-of-9 shooting with only three points, but grabbed seven rebounds over 21 minutes and was a team-best plus-5 overall. ... All 11 players available for Boston played, including Joel Anthony (a mere 12-second stint). ... The Pacers snapped a four-game losing streak.

WHAT IT MEANS
The Celtics (22-42) watched their two-game winning streak get snapped (and relinquished the NBA championship belt). Boston returns home immediately to host the New York Knicks on Wednesday and Rajon Rondo (8 points, 8 assists, 3 rebounds in 41 minutes Tuesday) is expected to sit out on the second night of a back-to-back. The Phoenix Suns visit TD Garden on Friday before Boston heads out for a quick two-game road trip with another back-to-back in New Orleans and Dallas.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME - INDY PACERS - AWAY********PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY****HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN Empty Re: POST GAME - INDY PACERS - AWAY********PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY****HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN

Post by Berlin-T Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:57 am

Got to be proud of the effort the Celtics put out against Indiana. Playing without a real center against Bynum and Hibbert and almost pulling it out is very impressive. Kudos again to Kris Humphries. Nice to see Johnson hitting his shot.

What we need besides a dominant center is an assassin at the three-point line ala Eddie House or Ray Allen. Just those two additions would make this team a contender next year.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

POST GAME - INDY PACERS - AWAY********PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY****HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN Empty Re: POST GAME - INDY PACERS - AWAY********PLEASE PLEASE DONATE TODAY****HORIZONS FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN

Post by sinus007 Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:23 am

Hi,
Yes, the Celtics're fighting to the very end. Unfortunately it was very cold, for some even freezing shooting night.
The Pacers are in the slump. If it weren't for Celtics horrible shooting they'd stretch their loosing streak. If they want to go deep into the playoffs they need to wake up.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:52 am

I'm proud of those guys.  They fought, they just didn't have some key pieces, like a player the average Pacer couldn't shoot over flat-footed.

Jackie Mac on the mike last night!  With 79 year old Tommy Heinsohn deciding he didn't want to do road games anymore (other than the Knicks) they are auditioning everybody for his replacement.  I like her, she's pretty fair.

I thought the officiating was horrible last night, but in our favor. We got a lot of breaks. Can't play the victim card this time. Pacer fans should be pissed.

Execution is important, obviously, but it's a waste of perfectly good practice time if you don't finish.  We didn't finish 6 or 7 times.  If we had on even half of those bunnies this might have had a different ending.  How do you teach finishing?

1.  Too bad Hump's the only starter to show up but show up he did.  An absolutely rocket-start for him.  He was engaged right from the beginning.  49 seconds into the game he got an offensive rebound while he was in the middle of three Pacers.  Three.  It was beautiful, a pure ganas rebound.  He just wanted it more than all three of them.  He had another rebound in the 2nd half, an offensive one, where he just flew in and saved a possession by just pure ganas.  What a professional.  He's a starter all his career, he comes here and doesn't start, he doesn't care.  He stays ready and just works hard when his number is called.  His teammates can't find their own butts with both hands he doesn't care.  He stays ready and just works hard when his number is called.  I know he comes with a high price tag (this year) but I can't believe nobody wanted him for a playoff run by the trading deadline.  I'm going to be watching very closely how much money his agent will demand this summer.  You're already rich, Kris, play where people love you.  We love you (in a manly, bromance kind of way, worcester).

2.  Our starters shot 31% (17-55).  Take Hump's numbers out of that and the remaining four shot 24% (11-45).  Not only aren't we going to win any games shooting like that, I'm amazed this one was even this close.

3.  Rondo struggled in the first half, with only one assist in the first quarter and only 2 at the half.  He shot an abysmal 4-15 on the game.  Sure, one or two of them were buzzer beaters but that's his fault too.  He has got to get people moving in the half court set faster.  He can't take the clock down to 7 or so and then expect one play with no options off it will fool a good defensive team.

4.  Jeff Green got half his points at the line and, I think, those all came in the 2nd half.  He, along with the rest of the starters, were invisible in the 1st half.  3-16 from the field, making Rondo look "good".  When his outside shot isn't dropping he has to take it to the rim and his teammates need to set a screen down low for him.  He tends to pick up his dribble and try to fly in a little too soon, so having someone like Sully keep his big a step away from Green so he could finish would work great.  

4.  The reason why Larry traded for Turner and signed Bynum is because they needed more off their bench.  "The best player under the rim" (according to his agent) had 11 points on 5-7 and 5 rebounds in just 13 minutes, teaching Kelly a few things about how to be an un-athletic big with long hair in the league without getting laughed at.  When Luis Scola does that "turn and face up" jump shot he reminds me of Jack Sikma.  I love Scola.  Argentinians have made their mark in the NBA.  Turner had 9 in 23 minutes and, quite frankly, struggled offensively and defensively against Green.  Jeff came on strong towards the end, and shot most of his free throws, when Turner was on him.  Other than Bynum their bench still sucked.

5.  Bynum was a force and changed the whole game.  Hibbert's taller but Bynum is BIG.  Poor Sully.  He was bent over double, literally, trying to get the leverage to keep Bynum away from the basket and then when the shot went up Bynum was able to just reach over him and get the O-board.  We all know we're not a tall team but it was ridiculously obvious last night.  This was Bynum's first night on the floor as a Pacer.  We'll see how healthy he stays AND how well he can play against teams that are both tall and athletic, but if last night is any indication then Larry pulled off another one (like he did with the Scola deal).

6.  Paul George struggled all night.  Some of that credit has to do with the defense Green was putting on him and some of that was just him not being "on".  He heated up when Chris Babb was put on him but Babb played him hard, he's just at a physical disadvantage (6'5" guarding 6'9") just as Turner was at a disadvantage against the bigger Jeff Green.  Still, very sticky defense by an undrafted D-leaguer still on a 10-day on a player that had MVP written all over him the first half of this season.

7.  What a tough game for Sully.  Talk about Mastodon Mamba, he had to guard perhaps the two biggest Krakens in the league last night.  Together, Hibbert and Bynum played 48 minutes, scored 14 points on 6-11 and grabbed 19 rebounds 5 offensive.  Sully played 26 minutes (just slightly more than half) and had 17 points on 8-17 (some of those "misses" were offensive rebound taps that didn't go in) and 9 rebounds, 7 of them offensive.  What a beast on the O-boards.  I heard Brad say, in the post-game presser, that we're 14th in the league in offensive rebounding.  What a change from Doc.  Just imagine when we have an actual center and some poor bastard of a PF has to keep Sully off the boards.  Tommy gave the Tommy Award to Sully for his trench work.  It's hard not to recognize Hump's carrying of the team this game, but Sully made every poor perimeter defense sequence by the Pacers pay off.

8.  This is a "make or miss" league.  You can run around all you want but you have to hit your shots.  We shot 35% on the game and that's an improvement over the first half.  You're not going to win games shooting like that.  Period.  

9.  A nice game by CJ, who has cooled off a bit from his torrid first 20 days.  He was 2-4 from 3, which is his signature, but he was also the recipient of Rondo's one-and-only fast break assist.  I get excited when I see Johnson doing things besides shooting 3s.  When he runs the floor like that, it gets me excited.  When I see him sneak in for an offensive rebound or, in one case, almost get one, I get excited.  14 points on 6-8 in 28 minutes.  He was very actively defensively, with 2 steals and pesky defense (although he was backdoored once by Paul George.  Welcome to the NBA, it has happened to everybody).  He has some work to do this summer, especially on his ballhandling, but he's doing well.

10.  David West owned us.  11-13, with a lot of those points coming from baby hooks in the paint.  That is just not acceptable.  I can deal with Hibbert getting those shots, he's just too big for us now and once he gets that position we're sunk, but David West?  I'm sorry, but we have players on the roster today that should have been able to do a better job of preventing 11-13.  He shoots 7-13, still over 50%, and this is a different game.  Oh well, I guess this is the payment for Paul George having an off night.

11.  We had 41 total rebounds and 20 of them were offensive.  That is truly spectacular.  We only had 10 TOs, so we did a good job taking care of the rock.  We had 91 fgas, and that's very good.  Those "extra" fgas came from offensive rebounding (which were available due to our execrable shooting percentage).  What's amazing is that there were a grand total of only 4 fast breaks credited in this game, 2 for each team.

Brad Stevens is fond of preaching the importance of each possession.  Well, if we made just half of the 6-7 bunnies we missed and if we kept David West to a more reasonable shooting percentage, we would have won this game and that's pretty amazing when you look at our two teams.  We're in obvious transition mode, with a very unbalanced roster, and they are expected to play in the EC Finals this year and maybe even the Championship.  The Indiana Pacers did not cover themselves with glory last night.  

Playing hard, playing with pride.  That's Job 1.  We got it last night from our guys and I slept well because of that.

Next year we'll have a center, one way or the other, and that will make a big difference.  Kelly, with a year under his belt and a summer of weight-training, will be readier to play more minutes at center too (although I hope he's not "the center" I referred to but is a PF who plays some effective minutes at center).  My bet is we'll get our assassin too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Bob

It's sort of like driving a V-6 at the Daytona 500...........runs pretty good, but our motor lacks a couple of cylinders. And when we get those, a center and a shooter. We'll be in the thick of things in the east again.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:10 pm

I dont like Jackie Mac at all as a color commentator.  She is very knowledgeable about the NBA without a doubt, but sounds like she is doing the game on a national channel - where she is supposed to in essence root for both teams. 

Saying stuff like - there you go, that's the Paul George we have been waiting for....is umm, NOT what I want to hear.

I would much rather hear Dave Cowens get the nod over her, or PJ or Max - but finding a replacement for Tommy wont be easy.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down