Pressey Getting Up To Speed

4 posters

Go down

Pressey Getting Up To Speed Empty Pressey Getting Up To Speed

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:24 pm

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/03/pressey_getting_up_to_speed

Pressey getting up to speed

Pressey Getting Up To Speed 031214celticsms02
Photo by: Matt Stone
UP TIME: Phil Pressey goes up for a shot during the Celtics’ loss to the Knicks Wednesday night.

Friday, March 14, 2014 PrintEmailBe the first to comment
By: Mark Murphy

Speed has never been a problem, or even a challenge, for Phil Pressey.

Size, yes. Five-foot-eight players are never told they are going to have an NBA career, unless their father is a former player and career assistant coach. Someone like that looks at the fire in his son’s game and doesn’t question it, which is how the Celtics guard was prepared by his father, Paul, last spring on the eve of pre-draft workout season for college players.

“My dad had the utmost confidence in me from Day 1,” Pressey said Wednesday night, before making his seventh start of the season while Rajon Rondo sat out against the Knicks. “He knew I could play at this level, no questions asked. Him playing and coaching at this level, and knowing I could play at this level, gave me all of the confidence I needed. What anyone else thought didn’t matter.”

Pressey’s speed didn’t dilute in those workouts — one reason he caught Danny Ainge’s attention — and it’s not an issue now. Twice, he led fast breaks against the Knicks, pulled up low in the paint, and fed the trailing Kris Humphries and Brandon Bass with no-look bounce passes. Speed hasn’t diluted here, either.

“A lot of guys say the speed of the game is faster, but the only thing that affected me was the shot clock,” said Pressey, who is listed at 5-11. “Going from 35 to 24 is a big thing. Just knowing you bring the ball up and then you only have 16 seconds left by the time you get across, and then you have to get into your set. Just knowing you have to make decisions as fast as possible.

“But I love the speed. I get to make decisions a lot quicker. That wasn’t a big thing for me coming in.”

Pressey is grateful, though. Most second-round picks, let alone those who go undrafted, are everywhere from Russia to China. That’s why Pressey was glad, once the 2013 draft reached the second round, that his name wasn’t called.

“(The Celtics) showed a lot of interest from Day 1,” he said. “Danny Ainge talked to me at the beginning of the draft, and I had a good feel for them. I knew that was going to be my best shot to make it in the NBA.

“A lot of guys want to get drafted and hear their name called, but after the first 35 picks or so you don’t want to get drafted, because they have your rights and they can just send you overseas. That’s probably the best thing I did in my life, going undrafted. About (pick No.) 48 or 49 my agent told me it’s so much better for you not to get drafted. He felt it was in my best interest. We knew the Celtics were very interested in me and they didn’t have any more picks.

“That was a hard decision — to hear my name called and go to a team that would probably send you overseas or cut you, or hope you didn’t get drafted and go to a team that really wanted you.”

Pressey landed on a rebuilding NBA team with an All-Star point guard in Rondo. He also had Brad Stevens, a first-year coach with an open enough mind to give Pressey a chance.

“Me being in this situation all year has been a great fit for me,” said Pressey. “I got to watch early, watch Jordan (Crawford) play, and then when Rondo came back (from injury) I got to do the same. There have been a lot of bits and pieces where I’ve been allowed to play, and for me to be in this position has really helped me out.

“It’s very unique. Not a lot of guys get this opportunity, especially at point guard. It’s very key for a head coach to trust you out there for a long period of time.”

And with Rondo back, he now learns behind one of the best.

“I like when he’s out there. I want to give our team the best chance of winning, so I’m cheering for him when he’s out there,” said Pressey. “I also get to learn from him. This year I’m just trying to learn as much as possible. Not too many guys get to say they play behind Rondo. I’m trying to do all I can and learn as much as possible. There’s so much you can learn from his talent aspect, but what I’ve really seen is his leadership on the court. How he manages the game offensively and defensively. It’s like when he’s on the court, he’s where he needs to be, guys are in their spots, guys are competing at a high level. His leadership is unmatchable out there.”

bob
MY NOTE:  None of these writers ever mention how he can't throw the ball in Boston Harbor from the end of the pier.  Isn't that important too? It was one thing to have a non-shooting PG when we were loaded with shooters like Pierce, Allen, House and KG. It's whole other thing to have one when we're not stocked with shooters. Pressey's future, with the Celtics and every other team, depends upon who he's playing with more than on his own skills. Without runners and shooters, he's doomed.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pressey Getting Up To Speed Empty Re: Pressey Getting Up To Speed

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Pressey is a nice story and appears to be a good kid.  Neither of which should be confused with him being a long-term part of the team's future, which he probably is not.  As Bob points out, he's a marginal NBA talent. IMO, there aren't many NBA rosters he would be likely to make.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:26 am

Actually, I think the most important segment of this report was Phil's own admission that he has to make quicker decisions.  Too many times, he flies upcourt and tries to force a play where none is available.  Whereas I think Rondo too often walks the ball upcourt, I think Pressey too often races the ball up the court, perhaps feeling that his speed is an asset he needs to showcase.  He lacks the ball-handling repertoire and quickness of mind to avoid outrunning his teammates and having a trailer as the only option—and that can quickly become a one-trick pony.

Both Bradley and Rondo have shown us how constant practice can spawn major shooting improvements.  Pressey has hit enough threes to make me believe that could happen in his case.  (Note that I said "could" happen.)  I'm more concerned about his playmaking.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:12 am

Pressey will probably never be a starting PG, but he can be a serviceable backup if his cleans up his handle and improves his shot. I'm not ready to count him out just yet.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down