How did the Spurs get to play 13 guys tonight?

3 posters

Go down

How did the Spurs get to play 13 guys tonight? Empty How did the Spurs get to play 13 guys tonight?

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:41 am

I've always believed this to be true, that only 12 players can play on any given night for one team, as spelled out below:

How many players are on a basketball team?
In: Basketball, National Basketball Association (NBA), Basketball Rules and Regulations
Answer:
In the NBA, there must be a minimum of 10 players on a team and a maximum of 15 players. Only 12 players can be active to play a game, and 10 players must be active with 5 starters and 5 reserves, or bench players. There are 5 from each team playing on the court at any one time. If a team does not have 5 players on the court, the team forfeits and the other team automatically wins.

So how did the Spurs get to use 13 guys tonight (each played at least 14 minutes) in their 119-85 win against the Lakers tonight? I notice they also used 13 in their 122-101 win at Cleveland on March 4th.

If the rule book says only 12 can be active, how are they using 13? I know Popovich get a lot of respect but does he get to use more players than anyone else too?

Maybe someone smarter than me can clue me in.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

How did the Spurs get to play 13 guys tonight? Empty Re: How did the Spurs get to play 13 guys tonight?

Post by Outside Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:58 am

Steve,

My guess is that's old or just plain incorrect information. I found this:

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/02/24/breaking-news-13-man-nba-rosters-to-become-permanent-waiver-rules-could-be-altered/

The key part is that active rosters of 13 were allowed during the lockout season, and that change was made permanent after that. From the article:

NBA rosters are going to stay at 13, permanently.

The league’s competition committee met Friday and will recommend two rules changes to the Board of Governors, including one that will make 13-man active rosters permanent and another that would change the waiver wire rules and give teams 48 hours to put in a claim — and not just on weekdays.

League vice president Stu Jackson said representatives from the 30 NBA teams voted unanimously to recommend making the current 13-man active rosters permanent for next season and beyond. Prior to this season, teams could have only 12 active players and up to three inactive players, but this season — because of the lockout shortened schedule — teams have been allowed to dress and use 13 players.

General managers and coaches like the added flexibility of having another player in uniform, hence the move to make 13-man rosters permanent.

“The sentiment amongst the committee is you’re required to have a 13-man roster as it is, and if you’re required to have a 13-man roster, you should be able to dress and have their services available,” Jackson said.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

How did the Spurs get to play 13 guys tonight? Empty Re: How did the Spurs get to play 13 guys tonight?

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:01 pm

Never heard that rule change after the lockout season. Talked to a few other people last night and they weren't aware of it either.

Thanks Outside.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 am

Outside,

Now that you mention it, I recall the original edict.  But, either I didn't know about or had forgotten about the fact that it was made permanent.  Now I'm wondering whether the Celtics had 13 available bodies in any games this season.  But I'm too lazy to go back and check; and, even if they did, it doesn't seem to have helped in the W/L record.

Good catch,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down