Celtic Starters Need A Chemistry Lesson

3 posters

Go down

Celtic Starters Need A Chemistry Lesson Empty Celtic Starters Need A Chemistry Lesson

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:00 pm

TORONTO — The Celtics starters were outscored, 77-52, Friday night against the Raptors at Air Canada Centre, and Brandon Bass believes the recent lack of production may be a chemistry issue.

Brad Stevens went with his bench down the stretch as Boston went on a 26-10 run before losing, 105-103, on Amir Johnson’s putback with 7.1 seconds left. Rajon Rondo was the only Boston starter to play more than 30 minutes, while the trio of Bass, Kris Humphries, and Avery Bradley combined for just 18 field goal attempts.

Stevens correctly pointed out that the bench was producing. The reserves scored 49 points, including a team-high 20 from Jerryd Bayless. Bass said the bench’s success is a byproduct of less structure.

“When they’re out there, they’re just playing,” Bass said. “Everything is free flowing. With the first group, we have to play to our strengths, man. We got players out there that have to play to their strengths. If you don’t play to your strengths, it’s like your just out there.”

Jeff Green , who was slowed by a stiff neck in Wednesday’s loss, led Boston’s starters with 16 points. Humphries (plus-4) was the lone starter in positive figures.

When asked if the issue was chemistry, Bass said: “At times, yes. It shows. When we’re successful we have great chemistry. When we’re not, it’s because we don’t. That has to be what it is. It’s not one particular person. Both groups are different. It’s not really an individual that you can point out and say, ‘he’s the reason why.’ It’s just us as a group. We have to better understand our personnel and the game, it will be simple then.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtic Starters Need A Chemistry Lesson Empty Re: Celtic Starters Need A Chemistry Lesson

Post by Sam Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:36 pm

As someone who feels this entire season was dedicated to development, I personally don't see a lot of (what I call) development happening when Humph, Bass, Green and Bradley are on the floor together.  I see some very good nights for most of these players—although not usually the same nights for more than one or two.  I see Rondo assisting them (Humph and Bass in particular).  I see Green and Bradley creating shots shots for themselves.  What I too seldom see is smooth teamwork, movement of the ball, and motion among the players.  I don't see them instinctively making a living off knowing where one another is on the floor.  I see an occasional cut to the hoop.  I see a lot of things occasionally—a lot of iso moves in particular.  I don't see them making things easier for one another (with the possible exception of Rondo setting up any of the four for occasional catch-and-shoot opportunities.  In short, I don't generally see much chemistry.

Speaking only for myself, I feel more excitement when the bench comes in to play—particularly if Rondo's minutes are extended so he can play with them.  Excitement for the evening.  Excitement for the future.  Somehow, I feel the starters are pacing themselves, while the bench acts like they're meeting a challenge with their heads held high every time they're on the floor together.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtic Starters Need A Chemistry Lesson Empty Re: Celtic Starters Need A Chemistry Lesson

Post by k_j_88 Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:41 pm

sam wrote:
Speaking only for myself, I feel more excitement when the bench comes in to play—particularly if Rondo's minutes are extended so he can play with them.  Excitement for the evening.  Excitement for the future.  Somehow, I feel the starters are pacing themselves, while the bench acts like they're meeting a challenge with their heads held high every time they're on the floor together.

Sam

It would seem they have different mindsets. The bench players often are fringe players that have to perform very well to remain on a team's roster spot. Whereas, if Green, Bradley, or Rondo don't have a good game, it shouldn't affect their standing over the course of the next few games.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47 pm

KJ,

Whatever the reasons, it seems the bench is just plain trying harder.  That's why I feel they're more fun to watch at present.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down