Ainge Defends Jeff Green On Toucher & Ross

+2
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Ainge Defends Jeff Green On Toucher & Ross Empty Ainge Defends Jeff Green On Toucher & Ross

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:42 am

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/10/ainge-on-toucher-rich-i-love-jeff-green-but-he-needs-help-around-him/

Ainge On Toucher & Rich: I Love Jeff Green, But He Needs Help Around Him
April 10, 2014 10:55 AM

BOSTON (CBS) — Celtics president Danny Ainge joined Mike Gorman on the CSNNE broadcast of Wednesday night’s Celtics-Hawks game, and didn’t hold back when talking about his team.

Ainge pointed out some terrible defense by the Celtics early in the game, and got on Avery Bradley for having a layup blocked, but told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich that’s just a product of being around the game for so long.

“I don’t think I was critical of the team, maybe a play. I like our team and I like our kids,” he said. “I have a hard time holding back. I felt like I was being positive, because we were down early in the game. I didn’t like our effort in the first quarter and neither did coach Stevens. But that’s just basketball. When I’m critical of a player on a play, that’s just the world I grew up in.”

Ainge has said in the past that Green is not THE guy on the Celtics, and repeated that during Wednesday night’s game. But he says that isn’t criticism towards Green, and more focused on the team around the forward.

“First of all I was putting it in context, I don’t think I was being critical in any way. I was saying how even Paul (Pierce), Ray (Allen) and (Kevin Garnett) needed help,” he said. “They were playing on teams like ours right now before they all came together. So Jeff needs help.

“I Love Jeff. I mentioned there are only three or four non-All Stars to have as many 25-point games,” said Ainge. “I don’t think I was critical at all, I was just putting a perspective with Jeff that fans don’t know. They want him to be a super-star and I think he’s a very good player.”

“He’s had an up and down season, like our team has, but he’s had some beautiful moments,” said Ainge. “He’s not the reason our record is what it is, no more than it was Paul Pierce’s when we won 24 games in 2007.”

Ainge has received a lot of scrutiny for trading Kendrick Perkins for Green at the 2011 trade deadline. Green has had his moments, from his strong postseason against the Knicks last year to his game-winner in Miami this season, but has never really lived up to the hype that came with him from OKC.

But Ainge has seen improvement with Green, who is averaging a career-high 16.6 points per game and has 19 games where he’s scored 20 or more points this season.

“I think Jeff is getting better and getting better all the time. He’s working on some new things this year, and I like what he’s doing,” he added. “I like him taking more three’s. There are some growing pains that go with that, but I like that he’s doing it because when we’re going to be good we’re going to need him to be that three-point shooter.”

Ainge said that one of the Celtics’ biggest needs this offseason is a “closer,” someone to take those big shots when the game is on the line. He’d like to see Green develop into that playing (adding that no one in the upcoming NBA Draft has that quality), but again, he needs more talent around him.

“I think he made more big shots than anyone on our team; game-tying shots, go-ahead shots [last season]. But Jeff didn’t have to create them, he was able to shoot them because they were being created by Rondo or Paul or KG,” he said. “I have all the confidence of Jeff taking any open three or Jeff in transition. Those are two things he’s been consistently great at in his career. Trying to be the guy to create the offense is something a work in progress but something he’s improving on.”

As for the upcoming summer for the rebuilding Celtics, Ainge said Wednesday night he expects there to be some fireworks, but wouldn’t promise anything.

“We have a lot of opportunities. Like I’ve said before I’m going to try to blow off some fireworks but I have to be patient as well. We can’t do deals just to do deals; we have to do the right deals,” said Ainge. “Those are a lot harder than most people think or believe or understand. I’m not making any promises, but we have a busy summer ahead of us. There are a lot of different ways we could go.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ainge Defends Jeff Green On Toucher & Ross Empty Re: Ainge Defends Jeff Green On Toucher & Ross

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:48 am

In other words, we may be disappointed when the summer is over. He is not going to make a deal for the sake of making it. Fans have got to be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Ainge Defends Jeff Green On Toucher & Ross Empty Re: Ainge Defends Jeff Green On Toucher & Ross

Post by Sam Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Seems to me that Danny has an appropriate perspective on Jeff, in terms of what he can do and the progress he's making.  He's a useful part of a developing team, especially one that's apparently going more of an up-tempo and three-point direction.  I think a lot of us have our doubts that he could be a reliable impact player with a contending team.  But maybe we should wait until the Celtics show signs that the can contend (and not with each other—LOL) and then worry about the SF needs on the team.

Two very positive things about Jeff.  First, I see him smiling a lot more lately, which I think is a constructive sign since I don't believe he's the type who would laugh off mistakes.  Second (and I hope I don't jinx him), he's one of two Celtics who have played every single game not only this season but also last season (returning from heart surgery).  He shares the identical honor with Steady Eddie, Brandon Bass.

Have a productive summer, Jeff, and thanks for enduring all the challenges of the current season.  (Note: I first typed, "Have a productive center, Jeff."  Must have been some Ziggy Freud swimming around in my head.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:20 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:In other words, we may be disappointed when the summer is over. He is not going to make a deal for the sake of making it. Fans have got to be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Rosalie

Rosalie,

The reason why Rome wasn't built in a day is because they got off to a late start on Friday and couldn't finish before the weekend.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:23 pm

bobheckler wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:In other words, we may be disappointed when the summer is over. He is not going to make a deal for the sake of making it. Fans have got to be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Rosalie

Rosalie,

The reason why Rome wasn't built in a day is because they got off to a late start on Friday and couldn't finish before the weekend.

bob

Unions............

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Very funny! Where you been? Miss you on game on, although I took a night off myself Wednesday. Been a long season, but, I never give up. WE WILL RETURN TO GREATNESS!

Talk to you soon

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Better watch out beat my hubby was a union president for many years!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Danny Ainge wrote:Ainge has said in the past that Green is not THE guy on the Celtics, and repeated that during Wednesday night’s game. But he says that isn’t criticism towards Green, and more focused on the team around the forward.

“First of all I was putting it in context, I don’t think I was being critical in any way. I was saying how even Paul (Pierce), Ray (Allen) and (Kevin Garnett) needed help,” he said. “They were playing on teams like ours right now before they all came together. So Jeff needs help.

“I Love Jeff. I mentioned there are only three or four non-All Stars to have as many 25-point games,” said Ainge. “I don’t think I was critical at all, I was just putting a perspective with Jeff that fans don’t know. They want him to be a super-star and I think he’s a very good player.

“He’s had an up and down season, like our team has, but he’s had some beautiful moments,” said Ainge. “He’s not the reason our record is what it is, no more than it was Paul Pierce’s when we won 24 games in 2007.
Nice to see Ainge say the same things about Jeff Green that some of us have said here, particularly the parts I bolded above.

Of course, the implication of the Paul Pierce in 2007 comment is that this roster needs a major upgrade (no surprise there), and the question is which players will still be here three years down the road. Anyone on the roster is tradeable (even Rondo), and that applies to Green as well, so there's no assurance that he'll even be here next year, but Ainge's comments tell me that he can envision Green being part of the team down the road as part of a contender.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:56 pm

My feelings about Jeff are the same as they were before. Danny is right, he is a very good player who needs other options surrounding him. I am impressed that he and Bass have not missed a game. Just
Remember how frustrated we were back in 2006-2007, then all he'll broke loose and KG and Ray joined PP, the rest is history.

Time will tell, and someday you may all be saying "Thank God we didn't trade Jeff!"

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Rosalie,

I, personally, don't want to see Jeff traded, either. I just think they need to utilize him better.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down