The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited

5 posters

Go down

The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited Empty The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited

Post by bobheckler Tue May 13, 2014 7:14 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/5/13/5714222/the-tpe-carmelo-anthony-and-the-asik-trade-revisited

The TPE, Carmelo Anthony, and the Asik trade revisited
By wjsy on May 13 2014, 2:46p 23

The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited 20130111_ajl_aa6_118.0_standard_709.0
Mark L. Baer-USA TODAY Sports
The biggest trade chip the Celtics have this summer might not be Rajon Rondo in the final year of his contract or the affordable and reliable Brandon Bass.

One of the hottest trade scenarios has recently ousted Houston looking to make an upgrade to their roster. There's the Rondo-to-the-Rockets rumor that will be raised again between Danny Ainge and Daryl Morey, but something smaller could be done that would allow the Celtics to retain their All-Star point guard, add the defensive center they've been looking for in Omer Asik, and free up cap space for Morey to add a third superstar in Carmelo Anthony. Here's the scenario:

For the Rockets to sign free-agent-to-be Carmelo Anthony, they'll need to make room for another max deal on their cap sheet with the redundant Asik and expiring Jeremy Lin likely to be moved. It's doubtful that Phil Jackson would help Morey cherry pick one of the best players in the league from his team in a sign-and-trade, so Houston would have to find a home for Asik and Lin.

Enter the Boston Celtics and their $10.3 traded player exception. Because this deal would fall almost a year from when the exception was generated, it's considered a non-simultaneous trade. According to Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, "a team can acquire only up to 100% plus $100,000 of the outgoing salary." For the Celtics, that's the $10.3M that was created in the Paul Pierce-for-Keith-Bogans transaction of last summer's big trade. Check out this reddit thread for an explanation.  http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1igbmp/explaining_the_celticsnets_trade_in_1000_easy/

Now, for Ainge to cash in on the TPE AND the Rockets to get their man, a few things could happen. The Celtics currently have four players on non-guaranteed deals: Keith Bogans ($5,285,817), Phil Pressey ($816,482), Chris Babb ($816,382), and Chris Johnson ($915,243). That's a total of $7.8M. Bogans' sweetheart deal plus two out of three rookie contracts could theoretically be cobbled together (a total of around $7M which would satisfy the CBA's 125% + $100,000 matching requirement) to mirror Lin's $8,374,646 and later waived before they step foot in the Toyota Center. In a subsequent trade, Asik's $8M would fit into the Celtics' TPE. The combined effect for Houston would be a Carmelo-sized cap hole. The Celtics get their rim protector and a back up point guard with both on expiring contracts.

It gets a little more complicated if Jeff Green and Brandon Bass are involved or if Ainge insists on the inclusion of Chandler Parsons (who has his own pending free agency in flux), but the biggest player in a Celtics' deal this summer might be the TPE. With so many big name free agents potentially on the move, Boston could be the landing spot for teams looking to dump salary.

And keep this in mind: Houston isn't the only team that Danny could deal with. Asik is certainly at the top of the list of centers to target, but Ainge could swing a similar deal with Oklahoma City for fan favorite Kendrick Perkins, pick off the Jazz's underperforming Enes Kanter, or even snag Tiago Splitter from San Antonio if the Spurs decide to do a brick one rebuild.

It's hard to handicap the likelihood of something happening, especially considering the tight window that Ainge has to utilize the TPE. July 1st is the start of the NBA calendar year; free agents are technically free, holds and rookie scales are applied to teams' salary cap, and Bird rights are renounced. There's a moratorium on transactions that ends on the stroke of midnight on July 10th and the TPE expires on July 12th. Ainge will have two days to work his phone or he loses it.

bob
MY NOTE:  I was pretty surprised, to be honest, when I learned last summer that the trade exception was going to expire so early in the free agent signing period this year.  I didn't/cannot understand why Trader Danny didn't just drag his feet for a few days and give himself a few more days to wheel and deal this year.  We'll see how this pans out but $10.3M is beaucoup bucks when the salary cap is less than $60M and I have to believe there is at least one GM out there who needs to make some numbers fit in some trade and, if nothing else, sees the Celtics as a 3rd party in a deal to access some or all of our TPE and will compensate us for accommodating them.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited Empty Re: The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited

Post by Sam Tue May 13, 2014 11:59 pm

I like this article. Just toss some flotsam and jetsam the Rockets' way, make use of the trade exception, and wind up with an enforcer and a decent point guard. The power forwards can go back to playing power forward, none of the core is lost; there's still some cap room with which Danny can play; he can dangle a power forward perhaps for a shooter; and hopefully the draft will be fruitful for the Celtics.

I'm going to Boston tomorrow to stake out my spot at Clarendon and Boylston Streets for the parade. Or am I possibly being just a trifle premature?

Premature or not, this idea has a comfortable symmetry about it in my book. Now gyso, please don't find some loophole that will rain on the aforementioned parade.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited Empty Re: The TPE, Carmelo Anthony And The Asik Deal, Revisited

Post by gyso Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 am

Rule 1: TPE's can be broken up into smaller pieces to get multiple players in separate trades.  The $10.3M TPE can be split in order to net two players at around $5M each (plus or minus) from different teams, for example.  (That is not what is happening in the above trade, I just wanted to explain one option with the TPE).

Rule 2: TPE's cannot be added to other player's salary to net a bigger fish.   The $10.3M TPE cannot be added to Bogans' $5.3M to get a player (or players) at around $15.6M (plus or minus), for example.  (That is also not what is happening in the above trade, I just wanted to explain a restriction with the TPE).

The second rule (no combining TPE with other assets) is the reason that the above scenario is being done in two separate transactions.  We trade the entire TPE for one player and then we trade multiple unguaranteed contracts for the other player.  Houston, we have no problem!

Except . . . we would end up with two players whose salaries add up to over $30M and both of them are on their last season of their contracts.  Either of them (or both) would be unrestricted free agents after one season with us.

IMO, Danny Ainge would not want to use up so many of his assets just to see the results vaporize after just one season.  Plus the salary cost is huge, the Celtics owners would have to sign off on this one.   Daryl Morey would have to throw him a bone or two to make this happen.  Chandler Parsons and/or a first round pick . . . something . . . needs to be added on order to make the risk pill go down easier.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 14, 2014 1:02 pm

gyso,

Okay, when I saw you had posted, I had to go take an aspirin; but thank you for pointing out a way this could happen. I just have one question. Which human or draft pick trading chips of value would Danny be giving up under this scenario? I understand he'd be giving up the TPE; but, as I understand it he'll have only a couple of days to use it. If either doesn't work out, or even if both decide to jump ship after a year, Danny can use the saved money and expanded cap space for other assets, can't he? Giving up no players of value and no draft picks for a potential defense-altering center plus a decent point guard reserve somehow doesn't seem to be all that much of a risk to me. What am I missing?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed May 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Sam,

The risk is in the fact that they both would be unrestricted free agents after one season. I'm not all that worried that Lin will walk, the prize here is Asik. If we were able to draft Embiid and allow him to develop behind Asik, we would have two rim protectors. That sounds great, but Asik has shown that he wants to start and he might cop an attitude if he thought his status as a starter was threatened. He may not resign with us under that scenario.

The key asset is the $10.3M TPE. I think it would be a waste to spend that on a one year rental. It may be better to spend it on someone under contract for a longer period of time, like Sanders (or someone like him). He will just be entering his 4yr/$44M contract. Plenty of time there for Embiid to develop.

The TPE does have to be used within a couple of days after the moratorium, but I believe Danny can make deals on Draft Day. He can also discuss deals during the moratorium and just wait until it is over to pull the trigger.

I guess that I don't want Asik if he is only here for one year. I would like some measure of continuity going forward.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed May 14, 2014 2:51 pm

I like sANDERS LONG TERM. wE STAND VERY LITTLE CHANCE OF LANDING eMBID.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 14, 2014 2:58 pm

worcester wrote:I like sANDERS LONG TERM. wE STAND VERY LITTLE CHANCE OF LANDING eMBID.

worcester,

We have an 8.8% chance at the #1 pick, which could guarantee Embiid. Basically, 1 out of 12.

We have a 29.2% chance at a top 3 pick, 3 out of 10. If Embiid isn't picked first we're looking better.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed May 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Embiid will be picked first.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed May 14, 2014 3:09 pm

worcester wrote:Embiid will be picked first.

worcester,

Draftexpress currently has him being picked 3rd, behind Wiggins and Parker.  Embiid's stress fracture of his back is causing some slippage.

Mynbadraft.com has him going 4th. Only nbadraft.net has him still going 1st.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 14, 2014 3:52 pm

gyso,

I'll tell you in a couple of weeks whether the prospect of Embiid and Asik together on the Celtics is likely. At present, I wouldn't predicate any serious thinking—to say nothing of conjecture—on that possibility. I'd welcome the possibility of having both of them on the team. If Embiid blossoms quickly so that he becomes a threat to Asik, then either Embiid's talent or Asik's expiring contract can be marketed.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 16, 2014 12:18 pm

did I see Perkins name in that article also as an option?

would make the captaiin happy to get the big man back I suppose...but some fans might scratch their heads.

I doubt Oklahoma will move anyone , if they win it all this year though.

oh yeah.....IF those trades would work out as written......count me in , even with no side extensions for Lin or Asik.

I mean come on.....Bogans (eating chips and watching TV) Babb (not an NBA player, Johnson (may hang around on the end of benches a couple years( Pressey(maybe the worst shooter in the NBA) and a trade exception thats expiring?

OK!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 16, 2014 2:44 pm

It's hard to believe that Perk will be entering his 10th season and his fourth decade of life next fall. He has more than 15,000 on his tires. The good news is that he has never really depended on any particular athleticism to do his job. He plays below the rim and blocks out, rather than leaping, for rebounds. So he might be able to help a team like the Celtics as a spot, role player. But I don't see him being a catalyst in determining the team's identity for the team moving forward.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down