Matty
NYCelt
hawksnestbeach
gyso
k_j_88
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Where Will Paul Pierce Finish His Career?

Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_lcap20%Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_lcap40%Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 4 ]
Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_lcap0%Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_lcap30%Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 3 ]
Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_lcap10%Pondering Pierce's Future Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 10

Pondering Pierce's Future Empty Pondering Pierce's Future

Post by bobheckler Fri May 16, 2014 11:19 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4712860/pondering-pierces-future

Pondering Pierce's future
May, 16, 2014
MAY 16 3:33 AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

CHICAGO -- The Boston Celtics' brain trust spent Thursday observing potential future additions at the NBA's draft combine in Chicago, but chatter about the team often turned to its past given the recent playoff ouster of the Brooklyn Nets and old friends Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.

Is this it for Garnett? What does the future hold for Pierce? Just as it was for Celtics for much of the 2013-14 season, Garnett and Pierce remain close at mind as the Green navigate a rebuilding process aimed at restoring the contender status that existed throughout the Big Three era.

Celtics fans are well versed in the annual KG speculation. We should know how it goes by now and Garnett will silently retreat to Malibu and ponder his future after 19 years in the league. Even with $315 million in career earnings, the soon-to-be 38-year-old Garnett has 12 million reasons to return to the court despite his struggles this past season.

Pierce's future is a bit more intriguing, particularly as he prepares to become an unrestricted free agent. Speculation is already running rampant:
Though Pierce, a free agent to be, walked through the Nets' practice gym on the team's breakup day without speaking to reporters, it was impossible to miss that the 16-year veteran was wearing a Boston Red Sox hat that seemed to send a loud-and-clear message: His intended audience was Boston. He wants to go back. And he didn't care if the bad optics offended anyone on his last day as a Net.

Pierce wouldn't commit to returning to the Nets after they lost their second-round series to the Miami Heat on Wednesday night, even though he said he wants to play one or two more years. Yet he had no problem earlier this season speaking at length about how he'd love to finish his playing days with the Celts.

When asked about a potential return to Boston earlier this season, Pierce didn't rule out the possibility, but suggested that was more likely to occur after his playing days. Pierce has said he envisions a possible front office role with the Celtics when he hangs up his hightops and you can easily imagine that scenario (think Jason Varitek and his special assistant to the GM role with the Red Sox).

But Pierce returning to Boston to close out his playing career? We've pondered that scenario recently and, unless there's some serious fireworks from the Celtics early this offseason, it simply seems unlikely that Pierce would desire to finish his playing days without a surefire chance to compete for a title.

Pierce, who will turn 37 before the start of next season, showed during the 2013-14 season that there's still plenty left in his tank. Former coach Doc Rivers often suggested that Pierce could play until he's 50 because of his crafty nature. Nostalgic Celtics fans, punch drunk from a 57-loss rebuilding season, will fantasize about Pierce returning to provide the sort of veteran leadership that could aid Boston's younger players, but Pierce's focus at this stage of his career is almost certainly on adding the titles that would cement his NBA legacy.

Our gut tells us Pierce is more likely to end his playing days with a top title contender. If Garnett elects to return to Brooklyn for that final season of his current contract, Pierce will feel a strong pull to stay alongside his good friend, the one that he talked into the summer blockbuster that delivered the duo from Boston, despite the Nets' future uncertainty.

If Garnett rides off into the sunset, Pierce will find no shortage of interest from contending teams. He'll almost certainly feel a strong pull from the West Coast, especially if Rivers phones to recruit him for a Clippers team that met the same disappointing second-round demise as the Nets despite similar championship aspirations.

Pierce, an Inglewood native, would likely be intrigued by the idea of playing back home. Dare we ponder if he might even consider closing out his playing days with a (gulp) Lakers team that he once feverishly cheered as a child? (Don't fret about that quite yet, Celtics fans, as the Lakers need plenty of their own fireworks to make Pierce truly consider that).

Ultimately, the Celtics need to remain locked on the future rather than dwelling on the past. The idea of a Pierce return is fun to consider, but Boston's focus right now should be on identifying the players that can lead the team the way Pierce did in his 15 seasons here.

If nothing else, Pierce already did his part to aid Boston's future. The three first-round draft picks delivered in that deal will go a long way toward helping the Celtics return to contender status, while the Nets might have paid a hefty ransom for five playoff wins.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pondering Pierce's Future Empty Re: Pondering Pierce's Future

Post by k_j_88 Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 am

I say either Brooklyn or the Clippers.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri May 16, 2014 1:22 pm

I went with Brooklyn, but only if KG comes back. I can see him signing a one year deal with the second year having a player option.

If KG retires, he rejoins Doc, but only if the Sterling issue is resolved.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri May 16, 2014 1:47 pm

I voted "other" because I think he may consider several offers. With Lopez back, Brooklyn will be a force, but I think KG will retire, despite the lure of $12 million. Pierce could have been a difference maker with the Clippers, but the Sterling stench may overpower any overture from Doc. Plus, I think Doc would have a hard time limiting Pierce's minutes to his team's detriment, and perhaps he realizes this.
In a perfect world, I'd love to see Pierce back in green for a season, but as Sam has noted on another thread, there is much to suggest this would be counter-productive. I think the Celtics need to focus on 3-5 years from now in any acquisition. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri May 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Brooklyn next season.

If he plays another two seasons, the Clips are certainly a possibility if they're contending.  The Sterling thing should have nothing to do with it, and the smart players have probably all put it behind them already anyway.  It's about the team at this point, not the soon to exit owner who has already been suspended by the league.

No need for a return to Boston.  It would be a bad idea for the team and the player, and Pierce is wise enough to know you never go back as a player.

He'll get his number retired with the C's and that's what counts.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat May 17, 2014 7:09 am

I'd love to see Paul back in green next season, and with him back, I'm willing to bet for some more picks we could talk Brooklyn into a bass+ whatever for kg and more picks- though prolly just some second rounders..

Of course in my mind we r still in draft pick accumulation mode more some than grabbing at peices to the puzzle to contend.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat May 17, 2014 8:10 am

Wherever Doc is coach next season.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat May 17, 2014 10:52 am

Hi,
I'm with Gyso.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 17, 2014 11:12 am

My reasoning is only hearsay because I didn't watch any of the games. But, from what I read, my guess would be that Paul will pick a team with a coach in whom he can have a reasonable degree of confidence. The Clippers would certainly be one. He'd be near home on half of the game days, and he's not averse to a little night life and bright lights occasionally.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sat May 17, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd love for him to come back.

San Antonio and Duncan would be an interesting place for him to go. He'd fit in with that team. Both Houston and Memphis are also interesting possibilities. If he goes though to either LA team or the Nets, nothing good is going to happen for him.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down