gyso
dbrown4
mrkleen09
MDCelticsFan
Outside
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hudson Is Wavied In A Brutal Way! Empty Hudson Is Wavied In A Brutal Way!

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Celtics waive Lester Hudson

Link|Comments (2)Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff January 6, 2010 06:57 PM
In a rather shocking move, the Celtics waived guard Lester Hudson just before the deadline that the team had to guarantee his contract for the rest of the season, Hudson participated in the team's shootaround this morning and I talked to him about his contract and he had no idea whether his deal was guaranteed or whether he would be waived.

"I let my agent handle all of that," he said this morning.

If Hudson clears waivers, the Celtics could sign him to a 10-day contract. The Celtics brought Hudson to Miami, had him participate in shootaround only to release him in the afternoon. The NBA can be brutal at times.

Hudson, a second-round pick, played in 16 games and averaged 1.4 points. He played 12 minutes in Saturday's win over Toronto and scored five points.

Back to top Go down

Hudson Is Wavied In A Brutal Way! Empty Re: Hudson Is Wavied In A Brutal Way!

Post by Outside Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm

I know it's a business, but bringing him to Miami and having him do the shootaround before waiving him? Man.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 am

What happened to Hudson is nothing compared to how Leon Powe was treated! Now THAT was brutal!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 am

Once again, we dont have the full story yet....so we are jumping to conclusions.

I bet their are some salary cap ramifications to the deal, and if they sign him to a 10 day and send him to Portland - he wont count as much against the cap or something like that. I dont think they would do it just to be jerks, that is just not their style.

As for Leon - the truth is obscured as well. Unless you know exactly what went down, you cant comment on it. I liked Leon personally – but what would you rather have right now, Leon Powe in a suit on the end of the bench, or Sheldon Williams on the court?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:17 am

Everyone seems to be leaning toward a 10-day. Any trades or pick-ups in the offing ala Alston, etc. Or is this just a non-event?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:45 am

The point isn't that these decisions don't make business sense. It does seem apparent that there's something else coming in the Hudson situation. But that doesn't mean you have to treat someone like that. If you know you're going to waive a player, why have him travel to Miami and why on earth have him participate in the shootaround? That seems totally unnecessary.

You can run your operation like a business without treating people poorly. The Celtics have a reputation over their history of treating their players better than that.

We don't know everything regarding Leon or any player, but that doesn't mean we can't comment on it. What leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths is that he rehabbed his knee aggressively, came back early to try to help the team in the playoffs, injured his knee as a result, and was then let go without any offer. The "business" move on his part would've been to not come back early since he was about to become a free agent, sit out the playoffs, and sign a nice contract in Boston or elsewhere. Instead, he put himself at risk for his team, but he wasn't treated in kind by the team when he got injured.

Here's one take on his situation from back in July.

This latest ACL tear has killed his chance of getting a big lucrative contract this summer. Even worse, it might leave Powe completely unsigned -- completely unemployed -- as the Celtics have decided to not make Powe a qualifying offer.

It would have cost the Celtics less than $1 million -- $996,976.25, to be exact -- if no other team stepped up to make Powe an offer sheet. This is a franchise which just paid $79 million in salary, plus $9 million in luxury tax penalties. A franchise that gave Stephon Marbury -- one of the more contemptible stars in recent NBA memory -- more than $1 million for a half-season of back-up work. But Powe, one of the brightest examples of stardom gone right, isn't worth a $996,976.25 commitment?

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/07/01/leon-powe-will-prove-the-celtics-wrong/

Yes, Powe wound up signing with Cleveland, so hopefully it all works out for him. But how the team treated Powe last summer and Hudson yesterday was poor and unnecessary. With Hudson, I have no problem with the team waiving him, assuming that it's part of a larger strategy to fill a particular hole. I do have a problem with how they treated him on the day the waived him.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 am

Outside: You are a true humanitarian. I salute you in your thoughtful, heart-felt commentary. We (Celtics) are supposed to be the "Good Guys". Let's start acting like it in our front office dealings with players! Outside, in the VHS days, I bet you were kind and chose to rewind!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks, MD, although "humanitarian" is overly generous. But besides being the right thing to do, I think it's good business to be considerate to people. You develop a loyalty that has extensive business benefits, sometimes manifesting itself it unexpected ways. Business, at its core, is more about people than numbers and assets. And yes, of course I chose to rewind.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 am

dbrown4 wrote:Everyone seems to be leaning toward a 10-day. Any trades or pick-ups in the offing ala Alston, etc. Or is this just a non-event?

dbrown,

I believe it is a prelude to some kind of player movement. Doc has been reading this board and finally understands that we need a backup PG. Hudson Is Wavied In A Brutal Way! Icon_razz Doc and the other coaches gave Hudson an opportunity to be the guy, but it was determined that he is not. They allowed more than 1/3rd of the season for their look-see, but in the long run, Doc probably wants someone with a little more experience.

I didn't know his contract wasn't guaranteed past a certain date (yesterday at noon) and none of my usual sal cap sites go to that level of detail. Dropping him doesn't take us out of the luxury tax penalty, but it opens up a roster spot. Now, we don't have to do a 2-1 trade to open up a spot. We have more flexibility to make a 2-2 type of trade if that helps out both sides.

I still prefer a 2-1 trade (or 3-2 for that matter) because I want to add one good player, not two average players. It is like using the MLE. You can spend it on one good player (better bang for the buck) or split it up among 2 or more players. I want that one good player because there may only be playing time for just the one, so we better make it count.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:56 am

I thought the leon powe situation was behind us.

The decison was tough but it was a good business decision not to retain Powe.

Can we all at least consider the factors.

First Leon had a history of ACL type injuries before we drafted him.

He was a free agent and and injured. Given luxury tax considerations do you spend $825K to sign him for a year while he tries to come back form what is his 4th knee surgery or do you let him walk.

If the Celtics signed him this past summer he would be taking up a roster spot but he is not ready to play for Cleveland.

Leon Powe was a 2nd round draft pick that could have easily gone undrafted. The Celtics gave him a chance to play and contribute.

To me nothing more should be expected of Boston. IMO they made a business decision that everyone feels kinda bad about but it was the right thing to do for the team.

As far as Lester is concerned. He'll catch on somewhere. Maybe a couple of years in Europe is an option. By cutting him it opens up a roster spot. DA obviously felt the Celtics needed that option.

Let the GM do him job!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am

Outside wrote:The point isn't that these decisions don't make business sense. It does seem apparent that there's something else coming in the Hudson situation. But that doesn't mean you have to treat someone like that. If you know you're going to waive a player, why have him travel to Miami and why on earth have him participate in the shootaround? That seems totally unnecessary.

Again, you are speaking without knowing the FACTS. It is just as likely that the scenario below is what happened.

Danny and Doc go to Lester and say here is the deal.

In order to position us for a playoff run – we need a roster spot to sign a veteran PG. We are going to cut you, to free up that spot – then resign you to a 10 day contract, which will allow us to keep you on the 15 man roster – but designate you to Portland. You will be brought back in at the same rate of pay – will be able to be called up when necessary – and will be on the roster for training camp next summer.

I don’t know that something like this went down…but you have no clue what went down either. Sorry, but I believe that Doc and Danny are good guys and don’t believe they have any reason to intentionally mistreat their players.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:09 am

dboss: Considering the metal and fabric of which Powe is made, I'd sure want him in a fox hole with me if I was in a war, much less a basketball game. The events he's overcome in his life to keep body and soul together, not to mention his family show REAL guts and heart similar to what our service personnel are showing overseas to protect this country. $825,000 would be a pittance to allow him to rehab on the Celts payroll. I'd put my last dime on Leon being able to claw back from this obstruction to being the player he was before the injury. I wish the best for him. He's more of a hero than many in the NBA!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:37 am

MD

I think we ALL want to see leon play again. But the move the C's made happened so lets move on.
But man give this a rest.

NONE of us has all the information and we can speculate all we want it makes no difference it is only speculation with limited knowledge.

There have been numeerous threads here about moving forward yet some people seem stuck in reverse.

Powe will be fortunate to take the court at all this year for Cleveland.

Couldas and shouldas don't put points in the basket, nor keep others from doing the same. The point is to put the best team possible together to win a championship I believe, and if a particular player can't help achieve that then unfortuately they might be let go in some way shape or form.

Powe has made more money in the last couple of years than the average Joe. He has overcome a lot but still financially he is fine.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Lester Hudson was a late second rounder. There was probably a reason why every GM passed over him not just once, but twice. Having said that, he still has a chance to play basketball, just not at the same salary. It's the best shot the kid will probably have in his life, better than most of us have been offered.

It broke my heart when Leon was not offered a contract by Danny. I loved The Junkyard Dog. I loved his heart, his gritty play, his offensive rebounding and his life story. Still, I have to agree with MrKleen's appraisal: would you rather have Leon in a suit on the bench or Shelden in a uniform on the court?

Powe is currently targeting being back at the All-Star break, which is in February.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Mr. Kleen, I hope you're right. But as 112288 noted in the original post in this thread, Hudson had no idea at the shootaround that he was about to be waived. That doesn't fit well with the scenario you describe.

I think Danny and Doc are decent people, but I don't see any way that taking Hudson to Miami just to waive him is treating him in a considerate fashion. Let's say they do have that conversation with Hudson that, wink wink nod nod, we'll bring you back and take care of you, kid. Why not have that conversation in Boston before you leave? Why take him to Miami and let him participate in the shootaround when he won't be a part of the team for the game? Even if you plan to take care of him, what seems inconsiderate and unnecessary is to string him along and not tell him until the last minute that you're waiving him when they could've done that 24 hours earlier in Boston.

As nice as any "we'll take care of you" scenario might be, the fact is that, at this moment, Hudson is waived and has no guarantee of anything from the Celtics. I doubt he's drinking champagne on his flight back to Boston.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 pm

beat

I see alot of people borrowing yesterdays pain inre KG on other forums and it's like they get drunk on it.

If the karma deal is in place for real then the 80's Celtics must have all been serial killers and puppy slappers. Serious talk other players sprain ankles or have "career ending injuries" and our guys lost their lives.

Meanwhile Kobe hoist the trophy. If thats karma I am movin to mars.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Outside wrote:Mr. Kleen, I hope you're right. But as 112288 noted in the original post in this thread, Hudson had no idea at the shootaround that he was about to be waived. That doesn't fit well with the scenario you describe.

I think Danny and Doc are decent people, but I don't see any way that taking Hudson to Miami just to waive him is treating him in a considerate fashion. Let's say they do have that conversation with Hudson that, wink wink nod nod, we'll bring you back and take care of you, kid. Why not have that conversation in Boston before you leave? Why take him to Miami and let him participate in the shootaround when he won't be a part of the team for the game? Even if you plan to take care of him, what seems inconsiderate and unnecessary is to string him along and not tell him until the last minute that you're waiving him when they could've done that 24 hours earlier in Boston.

As nice as any "we'll take care of you" scenario might be, the fact is that, at this moment, Hudson is waived and has no guarantee of anything from the Celtics. I doubt he's drinking champagne on his flight back to Boston.

Outside

I don’t know about you Outside. But sitting next to a future hall of famer on a private plane bound for Miami doesn’t sound like a bad day to me.

Here is what ESPN has to say about it:

Hudson was scheduled to make $457,588 this season, which would seem like minimal savings for a team on pace to spend $84.7 million. So the move may be more with an eye toward opening a roster spot than to save money. The Celtics could sign Hudson to a non-guaranteed deal if he clears waivers.

So, can we expect you to come back out here and offer a retraction if the Celtics re-sign him?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

If his time here is done, Lester Hudson should be thankful to the Celtics for elevating his stock value as a player.

Although it seems "non-humanitarian" several posters have pointed out that not all details are public on these things. It is a business as well as a competitive game and the kid had to know he was facing long odds. If we didn't take him, he may very well have gone un-drafted. He's good enough to get to play for decent pay somewhere which isn't a bad way to earn a living.

This move should be no surprise. With Tyronn Lue reportedly working out, Tony Allen capable of filling in at the point at a higher level than Hudson is now capable and a few other point guards recently cut loose it makes sense from the twin standpoints of roster flexibility and strength.

Don't feel bad for Hudson. If he's smart enough to use the stepping stone the Celtics have given him, a lifetime opportunity he would otherwise have missed could be his.

I hope he does well. Let's wish him the very best in life and move on.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm

In the Fall, the company I work for laid off 65 people. They went to work as usual not knowing it would be their last day at the job.

I do not feel bad for Leon Powe because he is making $825K per year and Lester will eventually land with some team.

This really looks to me like a roster spot move to open up that optiion. Ty is in the wings waiting and therefore it should not be a surprise to anyone.

The BU PG position is really the only position where there is a need. Lester was simply not going to get to play this year but the Celtics intend to compete for a title this year. The Celtics have proven that they are willing to spend the money to acquire and retain the players that they feel will help them win. This is the 3rd year for paying the luxury tax which reflects a commitment by the owners to spend the money to make the team competitive.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 pm

NYCelt, I agree with most of what you say. I agree that waiving Hudson may not be a surprise, but the way the team handled it yesterday was.

Mr. Kleen, re-signing him wouldn't change my opinion that they treated him poorly yesterday. Maybe I'm wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. But I'm just a guy voicing an opinion on a forum. If I change my mind about something or find out I was (gasp) wrong about something, I don't think I need to alert the media that I'll be issuing a "retraction." I hope we're not taking ourselves that seriously.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:47 pm

That's too bad for Lester. I was hoping the C's could develop him over the next year or two and that he might end up being part of future plans.

As for how it was done, I don't really see a problem with it. Basketball is entertainment for us, but for the players/coaches/management it's business, and as Dboss said, your boss isn't going to call you at home to tell you you're fired.

I read the following quote by Danny Ainge in the Herald today:
“But we’re trying to win now, and we think it’s better to have a spot free. You never know what players might become available down the line, and sometimes there are trades where you bring back more players than you send out. And you don’t want to have to be in a position where you’re waiving somebody (with a guaranteed contract) if you don’t have to.”

I wonder if he has a trade in mind. If he's concerned about bringing in more players than we send out, that could imply that a one of the C's larger contracts could be used in a trade. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, Danny has planned.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 pm

The same people that are complaining about how Lester was "treated", would be front of the line to complain if a good back up PG or C become available and the Celtics didnt have roster space.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Outside,

I think I understand that what you're getting at is a concern for the human part of the equation. How you treat a person in general.

Although we don't know the details I would hope and expect that the team handled the situation in as dignified a way as possible.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm

According to Hoopsworld, Danny is saying he waived Lester to keep a roster spot open should an opportunity to add later becomes available (ala PJ or Sam), not for the money.

If so, and it does make sense, then maybe we should look at this as the Celtics giving Lester a chance to play for 2+ months with a great NBA team with future HOF teammates when the truth was that we were planning to cut him anyway.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Okay, you guys win, I was wrong. I'll have my lawyer release my retraction via Twitter.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next