NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season

4 posters

Go down

NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season Empty NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season

Post by bobheckler Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233481/NBA-To-Have-Centralized-Replay-Center-Next-Season

NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season
May 19, 2014 10:47 AM EDT

The NBA will have a centralized replay center for games next season.

Referees review plays on a monitor at halfcourt, which has led to long delays in play.

Via Ira Winderman/Sun-Sentinel

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm not sure how this fixes anything.  It's still going to take someone (or someones) to run back the tape and look at the play over-and-over from multiple angles before rendering a decision.  What does this save, as far as time goes, the time it takes to walk to the monitor at half court?  Furthermore, the 3 refs can review the play and come to a consensus.  Maybe one of the refs sees something the others don't and brings it to their attention, which changes the review. How many people will be reviewing the play at headquarters?  So, now, if they blow a call AND BLOW THE REVIEW, that reflects on the league and not just on those officials.  Is that really better?  I hope the coaches bury the replay guy, absolutely bury him, in review requests.  That will force the league to establish consistency in calls because one reviewer isn't going to be able to keep up, so they'll need multiple trained personnel on it all doing it the same way.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season Empty Re: NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season

Post by Sam Mon May 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Replays make the games much longer, to be sure. But what I like even less about them is that they interrupt the flow of the game. Runs and momentum are a major part of the game, both physically and emotionally; and I hate to see some artificial factor exacerbate the interruptions.

I feel the same way about inbounds plays. Hand the ball to the inbounder immediately, zebras. Don't wait until every player is finished picking his shoelaces and tying his nose, or whatever.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season Empty Re: NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season

Post by Outside Mon May 19, 2014 3:20 pm

I think this will be an improvement. We won't be subjected to seemingly endless scenes of the refs' backsides as they hunch over the scorer's table while the monitor is set up. With a centralized review center, it could speed up the process a bit.

Now that I've stuck my foot in it, does anyone have an impression of how speedily centralized replay review works for MLB? I haven't watched any games -- I follow baseball, but with a 1,062-game season, I barely pay attention before August -- so I don't know if my thought that centralized replay will be faster has any validity or is the most ignorant, comical idea I've come up with.

Another potential benefit is removing the wild card of individual ref interpretations or tendencies to want to do an instant make-up call because a foul was missed and that type of thing.

On the downside, it's centralized control, bringing up images of David Stern sitting in front of monitors cackling over his new-found power to decide championships. I'm not a believer in league office conspiracy theories, but this adds more fuel to that fire.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 19, 2014 3:24 pm

NBA To Have Centralized Replay Center Next Season David-Stern-Choking-On-Water-Is-The-Best-GIF-Youll-See-All-Day

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon May 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Outside, I've seen a couple of replay incidents on Red Sox games.  I believe both involved calls at home plate.  The umpires convened in or near one of the dugouts, and the procedure seemed pretty similar to (and as long as) the NBA approach.

I believe the way to improve the refereeing  with centralized replay is to station snipers in the rafters of NBA arenas and, each time a referee reaches 10 blown calls in a season, to issue orders to shoot him.  Gives a new meaning to the term new blood." Also new reinforcement for, "Kill the umpire!"

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon May 19, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm not quite as optimistic as Outside is when it comes to this. Can a 3rd party option speed up the process of analyzing a crucial call at the end of the game? It isn't impossible but I have my doubts.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down