Avery Bradley: "This Is Where I Want To Be"

5 posters

Go down

Avery Bradley:  "This Is Where I Want To Be" Empty Avery Bradley: "This Is Where I Want To Be"

Post by bobheckler Fri May 23, 2014 12:59 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/bradley-where-i-want-be

Avery Bradley:  "This Is Where I Want To Be" Byline-blakely-cdc

BOSTON — Avery Bradley is in Texas right now, getting ready to start the day the way he does on most days this time of year - with a workout.

This offseason is like previous ones for Bradley, who sees it as an opportunity to strengthen his body, enhance his skills and return to Boston with a game that's bigger, better and stronger than ever.

Still, this summer is unlike any other because of his impending restricted free-agent status.

And while no one knows how the Celtics and their rebuilding efforts will play out, Bradley reiterated to CSNNE.com that he wants to be part of it.

"Of course this is where I want to be," Bradley told CSNNE.com in a phone interview on Thursday. "I've been in Boston for four years and I love it; I love the fans, the front office. I definitely want to be back."

There's no mistaking Bradley's loyalty to the Celtics franchise and this city. That's why he'll have multiple basketball camps in Boston this summer for the first time.

But Bradley has seen how business often trumps loyalty in the NBA.

He saw his then-coach Doc Rivers leave last summer for greener pastures - and more power - to the Los Angeles Clippers.

Bradley also said goodbye last summer to a pair of his biggest influences, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, who were traded away to Brooklyn.

And this past season, he paired on the floor with Jordan Crawford, who shocked many with his ability to play the point so effectively.

Crawford's reward?

He was traded to Golden State where his playing time was limited, at best.

Courtney Lee who played the same position as Bradley, was also shipped out of town (Memphis), despite playing his best basketball in a Celtics uniform.

That's why when Bradley speaks about coming back to Boston, he talks in tones of guarded optimism.

"I know that this is a business and things happen, things change," Bradley told CSNNE.com. "But I'm not worried or focused on that. I'm just trying to work on my game so that I can be even better next year."

The emergence of Bradley as a reliable shooter was among the few bright spots for the Celtics this past season.

And even as we saw him look for his shot more, Bradley's offensive repertoire expanded before our very eyes.

Initially he was a cut-to-the-basket and corner 3-ball shooter. From there, he began to look for - and make - more pull-up jumpers in transition or in half-court sets. He then stepped his game up to include a 3-point shot from other parts of the court besides the corner.

For the season, Bradley averaged career highs in scoring (14.9 points) and rebounds (3.8 ) to go with 1.4 assists and of course, an elite brand of defensive play.

So, what's the next step for Bradley?

"More free throws," said Bradley who averaged a career-high 1.9 free throw attempts per game last season. "I need to work on getting to the free-throw line more. That'll help me and my teammates. I'm trying to get there at least five times a game."

And with that, he ended the conversation and went to the gym, focused on strengthening his body and expanding a game that he's hoping will be back in a Celtics uniform next season.

bob
MY NOTE:  Danny is entering into an interesting phase.  He has Bradley that has to be resigned for more money (although perhaps not as much as was being discussed earlier this year), he has Rondo coming up next season and if he signs either Love or Asik (or both!) they will need a new contract at the end of next season too.  There's a lot of salary cap getting sucked up one way or another.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Avery Bradley:  "This Is Where I Want To Be" Empty Re: Avery Bradley: "This Is Where I Want To Be"

Post by dboss Tue May 27, 2014 11:00 am

While I have read suggestions for letting Bradley walk he is on the verge of becoming a potent offensive weapon.

You do not let a guy like that walk.

It would be great to retain him at $6 million but that is probably not going to happen. I do think he is worth $8 mill and in a year that will seem like a bargain.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Avery Bradley:  "This Is Where I Want To Be" Empty Re: Avery Bradley: "This Is Where I Want To Be"

Post by Sam Tue May 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Dboss and others,

Can you see Avery Bradley, in two or three years, being a starting SG on a championship contender?

Just curious.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue May 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Sam,

I do.

I think he is worth keeping around, being a consistent scorer and pretty good defender. Add a center to the mix, along with a go to guy and some scoring off the bench and this can shape into a dangerous team.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Sam

Yes

I definitely see AB as top SG in the NBA.  He averaged almost 15 PPG this year and I would venture to say that he will be in the 18-20 PPG average next season.  He is only 23 years old and has not come close to topping off yet.  

I thought the Celtics got a steal when they drafted him and they have invested a lot in his development.

If the Celtics intend to keep RR then keeping Avery makes the most sense.

We still need an above average 3rd guard to make this work but that player is not on the tea yet.

We need to add a few more dependable scorers.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue May 27, 2014 9:22 pm

I really like AB and think his best years are ahead of him, if we could get Smart, Smart coming off the bench as a combo guard with Rondo and AB could be a devastating threesome, now we need to get a Gortat or Asik, then draft a TJ Warren and we could be set. That would be a very fast rebuild.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 28, 2014 12:30 am

I hope Avery can play the whole season so he'll be in the best possible position to solidify his potential for the Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down