Draft net has a new mock up thats fairly detailed

4 posters

Go down

Draft net has a new mock up thats fairly detailed Empty Draft net has a new mock up thats fairly detailed

Post by kdp59 Fri May 30, 2014 7:58 am

http://nbadraft.net/2014-extended-mock-draft-50

the entire mock is pretty good read (though they always OVER-Rate players as to NBA comparisons in my mind.

for those just wanting to see the Celtics selections , they are below:

6. Julius Randle 6-9 250 PF Kentucky Fr. The Celtics could look to use Rondo, their own 6th pick and possibly future picks in an effort to move up for Parker or Embiid. If they stand pat, Randle would offer a lot of value here and would land in the perfect situation to maximize his potential in Boston. Kentucky's unexpected run to the title game did nothing but help Randle's stock. While he may lack the franchise changing ability of the top three, he's a strong bet to be a productive NBA player. His combination of power and skill set him apart. He's received positive reviews from scouts about his willingness to be coached and learn, though there was some frustration from Coach Cal about his ability to manage his minutes late in the season. While his face the basket skills are ahead of his back to the basket game, he has the strength and foot work to develop into a quality inside/outside threat in the league. Randle seems to be one of the prospects whose success will be contingent upon landing in the right situation. NBA Comparison: David Lee

17. Elfrid Payton 6-4 185 PG Louisiana Lafayette Jr. The Celtics struck gold with a sophomore PG with shooting concerns 8 years ago drafting Rajon Rondo at the 21st pick. Rondo, who is known for being one of the league's most difficult players, may no longer be in the team's long term plans. Payton shares some of Rondo's attributes, namely elite level quickness, great length and innate PG skills. Payton made a name for himself by being a valuable contributor to the U19 USA team that won gold in Prague at the World Championships, where he received high praise from all of the coaches. He followed up a tremendous summer by leading the Raging Cajuns into the Big Dance. He is an elite level athlete for a PG with great length and quickness, and although his shot remains a work in progress, it showed signs of improvement towards the end of the year. Payton has a chance to be a standout starter in the league, which is something that cannot be said about many PGs on the college level. He's still got a long ways to go, but being the age of a sophomore gives him added intrigue. Look for Payton to get looks beginning at the end of the lottery and find a spot in the mid first round. He has even drawn some comparisons from scouts to another former Payton, (Gary) due to his defensive prowess. NBA Comparison: Rajon Rondo
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Draft net has a new mock up thats fairly detailed Empty Re: Draft net has a new mock up thats fairly detailed

Post by bobheckler Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 am

kdp,  I'm cutting-and-pasting this from the other thread.

kdp,

Back in the day, I used to negotiate contracts as big as the ones you're talking about, sometimes even bigger.  Probably the #1 thing I always tried to keep in the forefront of my mind was "what do they want/need/expect?".  I didn't need to think much about what I needed, that was slapping me in theface every day, but what do they want?  It's not hard to imagine why we'd like the #1 pick in the draft, but what's in it for them?

I looked at that draft.net extended draft.  It says we should take Randle because "the Celtics could look to use Rondo, their own 6th pick and possibly future picks in an effort to move up for Parker or Embiid. If they stand pat, Randle would offer a lot of value here and would land in the perfect situation to maximize his potential in Boston. "  This is, at best, ridiculously speculative and, at worst, complete gobbledy-gook.

Cleveland would give up the #1 pick in a great draft, forgoing having a franchise on their roster, for Rondo (when they already have Kyrie Irving on a rookie contract and future picks (none of which are likely to be as good as this #1)?  What's in it for them?  They have Spencer Hawes and Tyler Zeller at center.  That's not exactly awe-inspiring, is it?  Add Embiid and yeah, that's quite a bit more awe-inspiring.  This is the "highly speculative" part especially since to get Embiid we'd almost certainly have to trade with Cleveland, Minny or Philly and I don't see any of them giving up Embiid for Rondo.  Minny has Rubio and Sixers have Carter-Williams and no center.

And if we stand pat we should take Randle?  How many PFs would that give us?  Do we get a discount for quantity?  If we drafted Randle that might signal the end of Sully, but it has to be for a center like Asik and we'd have to throw in Green and draft picks to make the numbers work and Morey happy.  That's the gobbledy-gook part of it.  Adding Randle and "standing pat" is nonsense.  If there is one position we're not suffering at depth in is at 4.

As far as this kid they have us taking at #17, he's projected as a #27 pick by draftexpress and mynbadraft.com has him going #28.  For a guard to jump like that would be unusual.  His defense is touted, he's 6'4" w/shoes, but he shoots 26% from 3 and shoots 60% from the line.  What kind of competition did Louisiana-Lafayette play against?  Here's an excerpt from draftexpress.com  "He clearly lacks experience against high-level competition, as his left hand is underdeveloped, he can be somewhat turnover prone in the half-court, and he doesn't always have the strength to finish everything he creates for himself around the basket."  Remember Lester Hudson?  He was the shooting star of the Tennessee Valley conference.  Then he came to the NBA and his world changed.  Coaches come and coaches go, and yet players from Duke, UNC, Kansas and the other top basketball programs still get drafted early year-after-year, decade-after-decade.  It's because they play against the best players college basketball has to offer at the time.

mynbadraft.com has us taking Rodney Hood at #17.  I like that because we could use depth at 3 (and because Stauskas and Nurkic are already off the board at #17).  draftexpress.com has us taking Zach Lavine.  I'm not a huge fan of this pick.  If Danny's trading Rondo and we need a point guard, then take Smart with #6.  mynbadraft.net has Lavine going #9, ahead of Aaron Gordon, Gary Harris, Nic Stauskas, Rodney Hood and 6'9" PG Kyle Anderson (who played for UCLA and against MUCH better competition than Louisiana-Lafayette).  

My gut tells me "forget about Embiid, he's gone and there isn't a damn thing Danny can do about it".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Draft net has a new mock up thats fairly detailed Empty Re: Draft net has a new mock up thats fairly detailed

Post by NYCelt Fri May 30, 2014 10:53 am

The Payton pick would be outstanding for us, but as a back up to Rondo and insurance in case he walks, not as a replacement for a Rondo trade to move up.  

The article speculates on Rondo being in play, but I can't see us trading Rondo in order to move up, especially to take Embiid.  Trading a proven point guard for a rookie center with potential bone structure problems is a huge risk.  I could see it if we were going to try and select Parker and then the best available point at #17; there are several decent point guards coming in.  We can wait another year or two for a center, we're not going to be that competitive for a while.  Unfortunately, can't see Cleveland being interested in anything involving Rondo since they already have one of the best point guards around, so the whole premise falls apart.  Philly doesn't need him either, which leaves only Milwaukee as a potential trading partner for Rondo, and they pick #2.  Trading Rondo there would still net us a decent chance on taking a new point guard at #17, but Parker could be gone and we would have to pick between a risk-laden Embiid and Wiggins, who is probably an NBA 2-guard.  Pass.  Keep Rondo.

Can't see us taking Randle at #6 unless we are planning to part with Sully and Olynyk, although it could make perfect sense if we do.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 30, 2014 11:06 am

Do these mock draft mavens actually consider the needs of the teams, or do they just throw darts? The two positions at which the Celtics are arguably most set are PF and PG. So what do these numbnuts predict the Celtics will do? Draft a PG and a PG of course. Makes sense huh? Yes, I know the Celtics can always trade the guys they pick, but I believe the trade value of unqualified picks prior to the draft is higher than the more limited trade value of specific picks after the draft.

Trade the #6, Danny. Please trade the #6. And get the best shooter available at #17.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 30, 2014 11:47 am

I looked at their entire projection for first round picks.  I'm not liking them, to be honest.  While everybody is going to be different, of course, they don't even have Jusuf Nurkic being in the first round.  Aside from the fact that every other board has him being a lottery pick, and he's 7'0", 280# in a league that is in desperate need of centers, they have some Serbian PG who they say "are still some concerns with his foot speed and ability to score" going to the Spurs at #30 because "his ability to stay in Europe, would fit right into the Spurs M.O. "  So they have this kid as a Spurs draft-and-stash when a center to replace Tim Duncan is available?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 30, 2014 12:40 pm

I meant it was a good read on the info about the players.

I don't see it as being the mock draft that is/will be closest to what happens...that one will be the one that I DO a couple days before the draft itself!!

Shocked 
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 30, 2014 3:10 pm

kdp,

You're right. It's a good source of information about the players—and from a Celtics' perspective.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri May 30, 2014 3:29 pm

kdp59 wrote:I meant it was a good read on the info about the players.

I don't see it as being the mock draft that is/will be closest to what happens...that one will be the one that I DO a couple days before the draft itself!!

Shocked 

kdp,

Well then, we'll be waiting for your mock draft!

At least once that's done I won't have to waste draft night sitting in front of the TV; thanks!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 30, 2014 5:51 pm

I guarantee that I will get at least ONE pick correct!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 pm

That could be fun. What's the nature of your guarantee? What happens if you're wrong?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down