Celtics Summer League Players

5 posters

Go down

Celtics Summer League Players Empty Celtics Summer League Players

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:27 pm

It starts 7/5-7/11.

Devin Oliver of U-Ohio, Dayton, whom the Celtics worked out, will be on the squad.  6'6", 225, SF.

So we have Green, Wallace, Chris Johnson and now James Young, and they're inviting a SF to summer league?

I have to believe Green's gone, because Wallace's contract makes him unmovable and Johnson is dirt cheap.

Also, Mike Moser of Oregon Ducks, 6'8" 205#, has been invited to summer league.

Dairis Bertrans of Latvia, 6'4" 197# has already agreed to participate.

Part of me doesn't want to hear any of this stuff if the word "center" isn't in there somewhere, but I keep reminding myself that

1.  We didn't draft a center and, unless Danny pulls another Vitor out of his hat, he's not going to be at summer league, so stop looking for one to be there.

2.  We do not know what Danny has up his sleeve.  A center may be coming (God!  I hope so!) but he's a veteran, so he wouldn't be showing up in Orlando anyway so stop looking for him to be there.

3.  Vitor isn't recovered completely from his surgery, so stop looking for him to be there.

4.  Since we don't know where this hypothetical new center would come from or what we'll have to give up to get him, we have no idea who will be left on the roster after the deal goes down, so maybe we will end up needing one or more of these guys.  We just don't know that, so at least stop looking for him to be here now.

5.  Colton Iverson will be on the roster when it is published.  Hallelujah!  A 7'0", 265# center!  Kelly, hopefully with a few extra pounds, will also be playing.

6.  Patience is a vulture.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Summer League Players Empty Re: Celtics Summer League Players

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:40 pm

I've heard the Celtics are secretly working out a center somewhere in Eastern Europe.  His name is Hypo Thetical.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:00 pm

If they need a center for summer league play, I can volunteer. At 5'9" I'm taller than any other rookie center they've got.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:20 pm

As long as I don't have to watch Sully battle against consistently taller centers, I'm happy seeing Iverson out there.  I hope they can give him plenty of minutes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:59 pm

If Sully can resume his natural PF position it will allow him to develop

I too am hoping that the Euro Year that Iverson spent over in Turkey will provide him with a enough improvement to be on the opening day roster.  However we need to be patient with Iverson.  He may never be a really good center but we just need him to move that big frame around and provide an anchor for the defense.  

The defense will be much improved anyways because of Smart's toughness.

While we would not mind having a stud like Kevin Love, the Spurs proved that as long as you pass and move and screen and cut AND have enough players that can take you off the dribble and make perimeter shots you can be a good team even if you do not have 20+ point scorers on the roster.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Mercer Senior PF/C Daniel Coursey (@StayTheCourse52) has accepted NBA Summer League invite by the Boston Celtics, I'm told. Twitter @IAmDPick

6'10", 220#, 22 years old.

Bleh.  Filling out the team.

Edwin Jackson
6'3", 230#, 6'6 3/4" wingspan, 24 years old.   French, plays in Europe.

Great.  More guards...

O.D. Anosike
6'7" without shoes, 245#, 7'3 1/2" wingspan (whoa!), 23 years old.  Born in US, plays in Siena, Italy now.

Another huh?  Are they having trouble filling out the roster?

Kelly, Smart, Young, Chris Johnson, Chris Babb, Pressey will play.  Sully will work out but not play.

Here's the expected roster:

The expected roster follows.

Kelly Olynyk (F/C, Celtics)
Chris Babb (G, Celtics)
Phil Pressey (G, Celtics)
Chris Johnson (G, Celtics)
Marcus Smart (G, No. 6 pick)
James Young (G/F, No. 17 pick)
Colton Iverson (C, Colorado State/Besiktas [Turkey])
Daniel Coursey (C, Mercer)
Mike Moser (F, Oregon)
O.D. Anosike (F, Siena/Pesaro [Italy])
Dairis Bertans (G, Bilbao [Spain])
Devin Oliver (F, Dayton)
Edwin Jackson (G, Villeurbanne [France])

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:53 pm

I wish I could feel different, but I am not too optimistic about Iverson's potential. I don't think he or Vitor are the answer at center and likely are the equivalents of Fab Melo in the long run.

But if Iverson is back in the states, then perhaps he can prove me wrong.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:30 pm

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2014/07/01/debuts-of-marcus-smart-james-young-highlight-celtics-announce-summer-league-roster-schedule/#more-61998

DEBUTS OF MARCUS SMART, JAMES YOUNG HIGHLIGHT CELTICS SUMMER LEAGUE ROSTER, SCHEDULE
07.01.14 at 4:10 pm ET
By Mike Petraglia
The Celtics began their two-a-day workouts Tuesday, leading up to Saturday’s opener of the Orlando Summer League in central Florida.

On Tuesday, the team announced the roster that will take part and released the five-game schedule.

First round picks Marcus Smart and James Young will join current Celtics Kelly Olynyk, Phil Pressey, Chris Johnson and Chris Babb as members of the Celtics entrant to the 2014 Orlando Pro Summer League. They are joined on the roster by 2013 Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson, European veterans O.D. Anosike, Dairis Bertans, Edwin Jackson and rookie free agents Mike Moser, Devin Oliver and Daniel Coursey.

The team will be coached by assistant Jay Larranaga, a routine procedure in Summer League as GM Danny Ainge and head coach Brad Stevens sit back and observe.

The Celtics’€™ first game in the Summer League will be Saturday, July 5 at 11:00 a.m. ET when they take on the Miami Heat. The Celtics’€™ five-game schedule in Orlando continues with match-ups against the Indiana Pacers on July 7 at 3:00 p.m. ET, the Detroit Pistons on July 9 at 7:00 p.m. ET, and the Orlando Magic on July 10 at 5:00 p.m. ET.

The final game is TBD on Friday July 11 and will be determined by the league standings. Under the format, each team will play five games over the seven-day event, with a championship day being played on the final day of the league.

A point system will establish the standings leading up to the final day, with eight points awarded each game based on: four points for winning the game and one point for winning a quarter (in the event of a tied quarter, each team will receive 0.5 points). In the event of ties in seeding heading into championship day, three tiebreakers will be in place: 1) total point differential; 2) total points allowed; 3) coin flip. For more information throughout the Summer League, log onto Celtics.com.

Celtics Summer League Roster
NO.-----PLAYER----------POS.-----HT.-----WT.-----COLLEGE/LAST PRO TEAM

60------O.D. Anosike-----F/C-------6′€™8-----240------Siena/SIG Strasbourg (France)

52------Chris Babb-------G/F-------6′€™5-----225------Iowa State/Boston Celtics (NBA)

46------Dairis Bertans----G---------6′€™4-----183------Latvia/Bilbao Basket (Spain)

63------Daniel Coursey---F/C-------6′€™10----220------Mercer

37------Colton Iverson---C---------7′€™0-----255------Colorado State/Besiktas (Turkey)

47------Edwin Jackson---G---------6′€™3-----201------France/ASVEL (France)

12------Chris Johnson----G/F-------6′€™6-----201------Dayton/Boston Celtics (NBA)

56------Mike Moser------F----------6′€™8-----210------Oregon

57------Devin Oliver-----F----------6′€™7-----225-------Dayton

41------Kelly Olynyk-----F----------7′€™0-----238-------Gonzaga/Boston Celtics (NBA)

26------Phil Pressey-----G----------5′€™11----175-------Missouri/Boston Celtics (NBA)

36------Marcus Smart---G----------6′€™4------220------Oklahoma State

13------James Young----G/F--------6′€™6------215------Kentucky

Summer League Head Coach: Jay Larranaga

Athletic Trainer: Ed Lacerte

Strength and Conditioning Coach: Bryan Doo

bob
MY NOTE:  Git yer scorecards heah!  Can't tell the players without a scorecard!  Wow.  Opener on Saturday.  Woohoo!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down